I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Got a request for a chef's knife. Started out thinking a nice pattern weld, cut my pieces, tacked together, got the forge welds, and promptly burnt it. So i switched up to a piece of 5160. My first bolster, came out fairly nice if i say so my self. A lot of grinding left to do, about 2 maybe 3 times as thick as i would like. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8b4519ee84d943e0a6ecfd02da9efa23.jpeg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did some playing around with tooling on the fly press and some 1/2” square bar. From left: grooving with a chisel and a fence, serpentine fullering (also using a fence), and drawing down with combination fullers and a kiss block (see below).

F17F681A-81E5-42FF-80E7-6B871EB37218.jpeg

080F4251-4813-426B-868B-DFB7E8DBB274.jpeg

Yesterday was actually out of the shop.   I did a live demonstration yesterday at a local micro-distillery.  I had a hero of people there talking and laughing for almost 5 hours.  Met a local Smith who didn't know anyone else in the area and he brought me a double diagnol peen hammer he made for me.   I was blown away.   It was really a fun day that allowed me to share the craft and give a quick lesson to a group of young beginners on making a leaf.

I'll clean the hammer head up a little and get it handled this week. 

1666543170865459919368491257629.jpg

Had one of my longest sessions in the forge yesterday that I've had in a long time. I'm loving my new gas forge!

I punched and started to drift a hammer, did some drawing out for some tongs I've had half-finished for a while now and tried, and failed, a split bit forge weld. I was getting a bit tired and over-reaching, so I decided I'd quit for the day, and I'll grind back and re-do the forge weld another day, when I'm fresh. Too many projects on the go! Maybe I should stick to one thing at a time! :lol:

20221023_200649.thumb.jpg.86e7a6b3a8939ee6379c99efc510e16d.jpg

Cheers,

Jono.

Today I started a batch of charcoal and worked on configuring a workspace triangle that would work with forge in shed as well as just outside the door of the shed. I think I finally got a configuration. Nothing will be mounted in cement, at least not until I've actively worked with both configurations with anvil and vice. 

Got the new-to-me anvil mounted in the same stand I had the railroad rail in. I decided to build a sort of box frame because the railroad rail was forever sinking and tilting and yanking it back up and setting it right was a pita. So now I have supports under the anvil so it shouldn't sink. Poured the sand all around and packed it down. 

Next shop project is to mount the post vice. 

received_3280763298828291.jpeg

received_643520363919229.jpeg

On 10/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, natkova said:

Forged some tongs i want to ask question can I split this lenght for decent Tongs, its 18 long inches 3/4 thick

Now I need to straighten reins jaws, grind it  and then rivet it.

Yeah I need to weld one part which cracked at boss.

One shoull punch hole later when all forging is done 

Beore and after

IMG_20221024_123851.thumb.jpg.34f8e0dfe978374798c8c1d23c5f426e.jpg

IMG_20221024_123920.jpg

IMG_20221024_123908.jpg

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:
1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

If Turkey is allowing Russian citizens entrance Istanbul and other places in that country are very cool.  Egypt? Morocco?

Hi, George! 

Now more than half of Russian tourists are in Turkey.  I've been there several times.  Want something new.  In Egypt, until 2015, I always came once a year.  That year, a plane with tourists from St. Petersburg was blown up.  There were no planes flying there for many years.

The Emirates are more or less nearby.

3 hours ago, alexandr said:

Everything is as usual.

Before the end of the month it is necessary to finish several new works.

I want to go on vacation, but Russians are not allowed into Europe. I need to look for another direction.

I think Russians are allowed into Balkans, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Albania which are not members of European Union.

57 minutes ago, natkova said:

I think Russians are allowed into Balkans, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Albania which are not members of European Union.

Summer is good there, autumn is not the best time to visit these countries.  I can enter Europe, but through other countries.  Long and expensive.  In the summer I managed to open a Schengen visa.  And in Russia now it's a complete "ass".

Alexandr, I don't know where you have been in Turkey but if you are interested in archaeological sites SW Turkey has some really cool places.  You could easily spend a day or more at Ephesus.  Kusadasi would be a good base for the area.  Again, if you are interested in ancient history the Archaeological Museum in Istanbul has some amazing stuff and it is not as famous as it should be.  It is about 300 meters north of the Hagia Sophia.

GNM

Still unable to post from my preferred machine. But Linux seems to work OK.   Not much time at the Forge, got the start on a letter opener for the challenge, but I have another more pressing project so the letter opener is on the back burner,

The project in queastion requires a nice smooth bend in a single tube. The only bend in the whole project. The bend requires a roller bender, to make about a 35 degree bend over about 2 feet of a 5 foot tube.  so I had to stop and make a tubing roller/bender.  Sort of a pain for a one time use for a single bend. But tha's how it goes some times. 

Here's a pic of the roller, and the curved tube.   I'm sorry but I don't have a way to resize pics on this machine.

IMG_20221023_175446424.jpg

IMG_20221023_175646889.jpg

Nipped out to the shop and added a strip of inner tube rubber to the stand for the EBUA, to tighten the fit and deaden the sound.  A success on both counts. 

52EF6F60-BC41-4C59-8497-7D256CBDB652.thumb.jpeg.7b7036d14c2e03b84f57d009ff4b4796.jpeg

Also, I forgot to post this yesterday: the result of playing around with hot-dishing 1/2” plate on the fly press. 

3AEF7FF1-E0CA-4CEF-9CCB-0ADE004D0763.thumb.jpeg.b96253e2515d78afa188b62b92aa06c7.jpeg

This would probably work better with a heavier press, but was fun anyway.