I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

This is the absolute best way to cook sweet corn. Last May. 

I asked Brent which I would find more useful, his more traditional rounding hammer or his Modified New Style. He said his new style would be better because of the square face. He asked what weight I wanted, but I haven’t decided yet. I am thinking 3 lbs, but my most commonly used hammer is 2.5. 

78D361A8-9C0C-48C8-A9AE-40D5FBADDABA.jpeg

• Replies 26.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My most used is 3#. 2.5# is a good weight too. Pick the one you think you will really use the most. 

I don't have red crayfish here. Never ate one. The rest is a good combo. I do love a clam bake but I haven't had many in my life. 

Irondragon, i thought the luna moths were green. We had one in the shop a couple months ago i thought was a luna moth. Big huge green guy. Seems i am seeing more and more of these huge moths around. Hope the Earth is not reverting to a lost time when giant insects were the norm. Hate to run into a 6' dragon fly. 

Das, to get good crawfish here in the midwest, you have to go and catch them yourself in the local creek. Our local grocery has them but they are shipped pre-cooked and frozen. Also as far as red goes i think that is a result of boiling them like lobster. 

When i was a kid me and my friends would catch crawfish and cook them on the riverbank. We would usually have nothing with us so our "pot" was usually something like an old beer can and water from the river to boil them in. 

Crab boils are good to.  When my sister retired from the Army she had a huge one.  They just dumped it all on a picnic table with a cloth on it and everybody just took what looked good to them.  Shrimp, crab (mostly), lobster...corn, spuds I can't remember what all.

Billy, I ate at a place in chinatown, NYC once that had a round personal tables with a lazy suzanne in the middle and you just spun it around to get what you want.  There must have been 15 dishes on it.  It was not cheap.  There were 6 of us and you had to be polite when trying to turn the food wheel so as not to be pulling against each other.

Big cats like crawdads.

1 hour ago, Scott NC said:

Big cats like crawdads.

And all Cajuns!

if you’ve never been to crayfish boil plan on attending on of our Louisiana Metalsmiths Association, (LAMA), conferences the second weekend of March each year, Saturday night dinner is a crayfish boil. Last year we did crayfish and shrimp, that was well received, so we may continue that 

Last day at the Hardwick fair demo..  

This years theme was "the blacksmith"..    Was super cool.. 

Wrought iron with high carbon face welded on..  Punched on the corner/diagonal.. Little tough with no swage to hold it steady but gotter done.. 

Little more clean up..  Started life at 1.125" Sq from the Longfellow bridge in Boston..  The steel face was old heavy lawn mower blade. 

Had a great time chatting with everyone.. 

20220819_181157.jpg

20220819_202347.jpg

20220819_202922.jpg

20220820_122653.jpg

20220820_124130.jpg

20220820_125941.jpg

20220820_125944.jpg

20220820_170546.jpg

20220820_170550.jpg

20220820_170558.jpg

20220820_175100.jpg

Nice work, everyone!

I ground down the butt of one of my touchmarks so that it would fit the tool holder of my fly press. Happy with the result.

0CF704B5-34D2-461A-83E3-0FB487A1E037.jpeg

BAF23124-098D-4A96-BAE4-DC7FF9650684.jpeg

219CE5FB-A8D2-4904-885A-503B14CF8E60.jpeg

0EA4F6F8-A984-4530-A163-7BFE036A4A3E.jpeg

(Funny moment: I was testing the mark on a scrap of leather to make sure it was making contact squarely, when I forgot for a second that it wasn’t steel and gave the press an almighty tug. The poor piece of leather practically exploded!)

Twisted: the first time it was just the dirt. Today I mixed in some ash from a recent wood burn.  

Jlp: nice hammer head! How long did it take? Did people hang around to watch the full process? 

Billy: I love that door handle.  Did you do the plate as well? 

IDF&C, the pic is not good. The angle makes it look much more curved than i actually is. It is still more than i wanted though and needs corrected. 

Shainarue, no i did not make the lock plates. My house was built in the mid-late 1800's and that is what all the lock plates look like on my interior doors. The locks them selves and the striker plates all have the same pattern. I been going through the house cleaning them up and getting many decades of paint off of them. Why someone would paint over them is beyond me. 

Fifth time's the charm? 

Still trying to get these piton bottle openers looking like pitons *and* able to open bottles.  It's been educational.  Try four really looked like a good piton, but the 'biner ring was too small and the lip didn't engage the bottle top.

Looks like I may be close...  It'll work,  but still needs some refining.

PXL_20220821_185940124_reduced.jpg

PXL_20220821_185932605_reduced.jpg

PXL_20220821_190013237_reduced.jpg