• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I did closed loops with a ring. Loops are about 2” diameter and the ring is about 3”. 

Sorry, the shop is a bit messy right not to see much detail. Organizing is on my to do list, but not at the top yet…

Keep it fun,

David

I like tripods with two U's and a Loop so it can be transported separately and you can also set it up with two uprights and a cross bar for cooking with multiple pots at the same time.  (Just made 4 of them for the state fair of varying lengths including one of old weathered steel for a real "cowboy cooking" look.)  I finish mine with food safe paraffin wax with the metal just under "smoking" heat.

Thomas, I have yet to make that type of tripod myself, but that’s the style I helped my son with. It ended up a bit wonky, but I’m a bit of a perfectionist with my work. He just wanted functional and make by his own hands.

Also, I just used the BLO, beeswax, and turpentine goop as a finish, and probably need to make more before my demo this weekend.

(I can’t imagine using 5” tripod to do any stirring…;) If I left any excess goop, dripping down into a cook pot would be problematic!)

Keep it fun,

David

Finished all the prep for the sword before hardening.. 

The edge is the same thickness all around..   All the deep scratches have been removed that run cross wise on the steel. 

Not to bad for an ol fart.  Can't see in one eye and blind in the other..  :) 

Last sword blade was about 2001..  Double edged swords are always a little more finicky..  Gotta keep the blade even and watch for screwing..  this is where the blade twists from uneven forging. 

20220830_181350.jpg

20220830_181405.jpg

Jennifer, it looks great. What length is it? At a guess I'd say 16-18". I could be way off.

What do you mean by old fart lol. You are young yet. I think. 

I tried experimenting heat treating a short sword or long dagger after finishing it too close to done in my gas forge and after a couple tried warped it irreparably.

I'm sure you have some more meat on the bones for a safe ht. Atleast more experience to do it safely.  

I spent a lot of time on that blade too. Lol. Oh well. Live, do and learn. 

Das, the blade is about 19" long.. So you were right in the ball park..   

I forge to size.. Basically there is no extra material for the "Forge thick, grind thin mindset"..  No grinder.. 

So, it's forged to size/shape.. On blades like this there is some adjustment that is controlled by forging as thin as possible and then when filed the cutting edge is filed back to gain the same thickness all around.   It's about 1/32 thick all around the cutting edge. 

Took me a little while years ago to figure out the way to do it.. But it works very well.. 

I have a piece of the orginal bar that i will experiement with to get the correct heat treatment..  All I have is Water in the trailer so will do a few test pieces in this..    My old shop had a huge tank of auto trans fluid  in it that worked well.. 

Getting legit has it's perks.. 

Rojo Pedro thanks.. Usually a bolster is more like a chunk of metal larger in size behind the blade proper..   This area is more Choil, ricasso..    But I follow your thinking.. 

If it were me, the blade would be much narrower.. Only about 3/4" it's pretty wide for a sword cane.. 

Waiting to see the final product Jennifer. Inspirational. 

Last event I sold at I realized I was out of dragonflies that I make. Cut 44 butter knife blades off so that will give me 11 dragonflies worth. 

20220830_214842.thumb.jpg.fe58a138d6ea3c69d36f1ce698eef446.jpg

Prefer to make these in batches. 

20220830_220744.thumb.jpg.b9657538403533aee44cba35dce7446c.jpg

And the power window motor rotors for the bodies.

Thanks Jennifer.

Hoping I have enough ball bearings for the eyes. Haven't changed a lot of explody seatbelts at work lately. That is where I usually get the size I prefer. If not I'll dig through my bearing pile and have to disassemble some of those. 

Spent almost 2 minutes trying to get a hot slug out of the top of my boot, I got my one off and dump it out and it fell into my other boot.  I was about 2 seconds from dumping water into my boot.  Was working on a rr spike tomahawk at the time.   Also started a new trivet and a spear tip utility knife. 

I wish I had that on video Chad! I take it you either tuck your pants into your boot tops or you have short boots. Why didn't you either step into the water bucket o pour some into your boot? Boots will dry out fine in a day or less. 2nd degree burns on a foot can result in a trip to the hospital and lots of anti biotics. Unless you're stubborn xxxxxx

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Mod34
Edited for inappropriate language

Years ago when I was operating the drop hammers I would periodically get hot scale down my boot or the cuff of my gloves  and just stand there and take it rather then make a piece of scrap.  Always burning through my boot laces. Bought a lot of boot  laces. Still lots of scars on my wrists from that and burns making horseshoes. 

For this years NEB meet there is a table to put your work on..  I don't usually bring stuff but was thinking this year I'd like to bring some of the steeled wrought iron tools.. 

This is the hatchax i made few years back  clean up some..  All previus years I have used Muriatic acid but recently have started looking at others..  Primarily Ferric..   

So here is the thing..  When the wrought iron is first lightly etched there is a 3D depth that is amazing..  i'm trying to figure out a way to get that 3D look while getting a little more etch depth.. 

Etched wrought iron looks great for a few days then it all wears away unless you make it really deep..  Not a fan of a hammer that looks like it's 300 years old made last year. 

Any suggestions?  the first photo is after Ferric etch.. The last photo is after ferric and coffee. 

20220831_190608.jpg

20220831_190641.jpg

20220831_190743.jpg

20220831_190806.jpg

20220831_191306.jpg

Nice axe Jennifer, sorry I don't have a better solution. 

Got the dragonfly eyes done and started messing with a flower from some of the fancier handles I cut off for the blade wings.

The other handles were pretty plain so will use others for another row of petals. 

20220831_221459.thumb.jpg.d03eb0a3101a5f37bc4e737b6295455d.jpg