I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Went to our hammer in yesterday. I was just playing around a bit and tried something new to me:

97133B3E-505C-442F-83D7-4B3866A5D8FD.jpeg.f7e6409f0070a3eb443bf4e6e57ce9f2.jpeg

Made from about 24” of 3/8” round.

I also spend some time running the host’s 50 little giant. He’s basically done rebuilding it and needed someone to check it out. I made a hack for him out of about 4” of maybe 1-1/2” diameter coil spring. (Sounds like it was an old car coupling spring.) I think he’s got a bit more tuning to do on the hammer…

Keep it fun,

David

• Replies 26.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One intresting question that come to my mind.

How does one molt steel iron etc without molding pot that hold that molten metal.
If you hold it over fire i guess forge will melt pot too.

But it stay yellowish somehow i saw on youtube.

1 hour ago, Cannon Cocker said:

I figure it’s much easier to remove than add on. 

True that. A very blacksmitherly approach. ;)

Might think about making a scrap art sculpture with a couple of those drive wheels. 

Good think I looked at the next page before hitting submit! I agree the drive wheel looks like it'll work just fie for a base. Looks cool too. B)

Quite the quest Billy but you pulled it off. Nice door handle, I like it. Well done! 

That came out really well for just messing around David! Going to do more of that sort of thing?

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, Justor JeiGallo said:

finally worked out how to properly make a heart trinket today.

Nice job. Keep it up. I didnt see any crack. 

Do a bunch of them now and see how they progress. They are good gifts or small sell items. 

Goods, I think I can spot the forge weld on the left side. 

I'm kinda glad cause usually that kind of stuff puzzles me and I think it is impossible.  Great work on the symmetry. I love it. 

Chad, that is pretty wicked looking. 

Thanks guys.

Cannoncocker, what is that thing the base of your vice stand is made? 

Thomas, i thought that it was graphite that was used for crucibles. Have you melted bronze in a stainless crucible? I need to melt some bronze and the crucible i have was used to melt aluminum in. Which of course my next question is do you know if the small amount of aluminum residue be harmful if i used it to melt bronze in?  

There are a lot of different things used to make crucibles out of depending on the temperature and reactivity of the melt.  I just grabbed one as an example.  Now Crucible Steel in Central Asia  Dr Feuerbach's PhD thesis goes into detail on how they were making crucibles for melting steel pre 1000 A.D. in Merv; but I strongly advise NOT to try to make your own crucibles as the risk of failure is quite high and the risks of failure can be catastrophic!

I have melted bronze, actually made a 90:10 bronze in a stainless crucible using a volcano fire lay in my coal forge for heat; note this was only a couple of ounces of metal and the crucible was pretty much "disposable" after a melt.  Al will alloy with coper making an Aluminum Bronze with properties you may not want!   Could you melt a "cleaning charge" and pour it out before melting the one you want to work with?

I have a chunk of 1/2” plate that I need for a project, but it had a bunch of stuff welded to its face. After an abortive and futile attempt at taking it off with an angle grinder, I broke out the oxypropane torch and burned it all off.

7BEBB20D-C3A2-4654-8953-C36B0B1D2990.jpeg

I’ll clean it up with the grinder later, but this was faster and a whole lot more fun.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, Goods said:

Went to our hammer in yesterday. I was just playing around a bit and tried something new to me:

Made from about 24” of 3/8” round.

Out of all the cool things people have done recently, yours is probably the coolest. 

I finished the sheath for my dad’s hatchet yesterday evening. 

217388CF-0C4B-49A7-BBED-271E4CADEBAF.jpeg

12 hours ago, JHCC said:

Like a gouging tip?

Yes. I forget and revert to "All States" brand names. My bad. That entire line is owned by Harris now though many of the actual tips and torch handles aren't the same.

Frosty The Lucky.

I figured. Alas, there does not appear to be a gouging tip that (A) burns propane and (B) fits a Victor Series 3-type torch. I'll keep looking, though.

(I sometimes toy with the idea of doing some sculpture where some of the surfaces could be textured by burning metal off with a torch; this looks like an interesting possibility for that kind of work.)

16 hours ago, JHCC said:

John, they make them, I used to have several from when I worked in a shipyard using NG/O torches. Same tips are used for P/O torches. I’ll dig around in my old stuff pile and see if I can find one, if so I’ll send it to you to see if it fits your torch.