• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had an teacher Mrs Dobegie back in school that used to say… 

(close only counts in horse shoes an hand Grenades ) 

she was on tuff ol gal!

She was an Ex marine and taught high school algebra for 40 some odd years, and a cancer survivor to boot! 

she’s done gone on an passed now, but generations of people in the county will remember her for decades to come!

I prefer close only counts with hand shoes and horse grenades. 

Pro tip: If you build a nice big new work bench make sure you have space for it. Had to rearrange the whole shop. Moved the forge, anvil, another work bench tool boxes, etc. I did find a bunch of stuff i have been missing though. Also i ended up having to clean off everything to move it all. 

I did however get some time to work on my daughters night stand a bit more. Got it painted now just needs a coat of clear then i can mount the hardware. The pics do not show it well but it is a distressed aged kind of look for the paint. Like it has been on the farm for a century or so. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9dae2fb3bc5593f23e92ea2584789049.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8fe33f7669495ab92adcbc5e483bc3db.jpeg

Instead of cleaning up the mess the acid spill left yesterday a friend came down from Albuquerque needing to forge some large tentstakes---ever been camping when 80 MPH winds hit?  You collapse your tent but still need to make sure it doesn't blow away!

So we fired up the forge and he worked on making medium sized tent stakes from 22" of 1/2" sq stock and I bit the bullet and made the RR spike coat hooks I was commissioned to do.  I hope to trade the Q&D ones I was getting rid of for a nicer set, using a "sharper" ball peen to make countersinks for the screws with my screw press.

I didn't quench but did wait and used my water can to cool the straight sections at black heat to be able to hold them without tongs. I made the sections a different length, the section with the hanger is 15 in, the bottom is 14 in, and the last open 13 in. It sort of makes a cord when struck in a circular motion.

Give the missus my best please Thomas. Bad nights suck! Was it a good movie?

Deb went to an AKC scent work trial today, it's similar to Nose work. 

I did some more straightening on a piece of coil spring I'm using for a prototype weed puller. Weeds as in 1"+ saplings, cutting them just makes stands. 

The other thing I did was wait for my computer to get back from the shop. It suffered the black screen of death when a anti malware program showed up as a "free gift" that wouldn't take delete for an answer and downloaded and installed itself. My comp was dead in minutes. 3 days to clean out, upgrade and get working again. It's fast again though!:)

So I also spent a few hours trying to figure out Win 10 and  find an email program that isn't loaded with "features:angry:". for now I signed up for a gmail account.

If we swapped emails send a PM we can connect again. My old email is dead, lost with my old system. 

And that's what I did today. :) 

Frosty The Lucky.

39 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I did some more straightening on a piece of coil spring I'm using for a prototype weed puller. Weeds as in 1"+ saplings, cutting them just makes stands. 

The other thing I did was wait for my computer to get back from the shop. It suffered the black screen of death when a anti malware program showed up as a "free gift" that wouldn't take delete for an answer and downloaded and installed itself. My comp was dead in minutes. 3 days to clean out, upgrade and get working again. It's fast again though!:)

So I also spent a few hours trying to figure out Win 10 and  find an email program that isn't loaded with "features:angry:". for now I signed up for a gmail account.

And that's what I did today. :) 

Frosty The Lucky.

that stinks had that happen at school once even with all the firewalls set up

what did you run before we have three problem makers all on windows 10 and 2 reliable ones on windows 7 that my dad uses the only reason i dont use 7 is that the programs i use for school aren't supported by 7. And i have no wish to go to the new windows 11

8 hours ago, M.J.Lampert said:

what did you run before we have three problem makers all on windows 10 and 2 reliable ones on windows 7 that my dad uses the only reason i dont use 7 is that the programs i use for school aren't supported by 7. And i have no wish to go to the new windows 11

I thought I was running webroot and windows 8 firewall, but there was a list of others, Norton, Avast, Windows Defender, Malware bites and the last AVG was the straw that broke the camel's back. There was at least one more I don't recall. One of them had prevented Windows 8 from upgrading since 2013.

Win8 has been unsupported for some time and was problematical from the start. He said Win 7 is better but seeing I wasn't running it didn't say more. 

My comp guy warned me off Win 11 and 12, said they're problems or at least would be for my comp. 

I need to find an ad blocker, I'm running Google Chrome and I'm seeing ads every time I open a new thread on Iforge or refresh a view.

I'd like to find a freeware email browser and open to suggestions.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was running duck duck go as my default search engine and Iforgeiron as my default website when opening Google Chrome but Chrome isn't offering a choice. My brain isn't so flexible since the accident. <sigh> 

I'd just paid a one time charge for AdBlock, just before submitting my last post that is. Oh well, AdBlock did what I wanted before the crash so I'll stick with it. No more doubling up on background programs if I can help it. I'd made a real mess doing that.

I'll check out the duck duck go browser. It wouldn't run under my old screwed up OS but it should be clean to go now.

I'll be in and out while I figure this stuff out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Spent 2 days moving everything around the shop. Got everything where i thought i wanted it only to discover i did not like it. Also where i moved the forge to did not seem to draft as well. Centered my anvil in the shop so i can now get to all sides easily. Also re-orientated it. Moved the horn from hammer side to tong side. I also changed where i stand in relation to the anvil. I am now standing at the heel with the horn in a NW orientation to my body rather than side to side. This makes it much easier for me to get a good 90* angle with my work to the anvil face. Also with the horn on my tong hand side it feels more natural to get the same 90* with the angle of the horn. I think i may have discovered the reason that people say that the horn goes to the tong side. So i made a hasp and started a skillet and pot hanger for the wife. So far i like this set up much more than previous. Need to figure out location for my hammer and hardy tool rack, and where to set things while working. My guillotines are also now backward but that is just a minor inconvenience. 

The hasp. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0151d90544891c813cedb0123f40ebb7.jpeg

Edited by BillyBones
Forgot to add pic.