• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rojo, do not burn off the coating. They are usually either coated in zinc or chrome. I stay away from anything that i suspect chrome, but i know the zinc can be removed by an over night soak in vinegar. Much safer than burning off, zinc will make you sick while chrome is down right deadly. 

When squaring the heads keep an open end wrench handy to size them with. After forging them give them a coat of wax also. 

I give all my lag bolts and screws this treatment. Oh and the screws, try find and slotted screws and not Philips. 

Aluminum conduit. Makes sense now. 

I’ve had one of those garden things, the name of which escapes me now, for a number of years. The handle being detachable has irritated me for as long as I’ve owned it. It is constantly getting wiggly. Someday I plan to weld it on. 

This is the first time using the box bellows and the brake rotor fire pot.  Both worked well with my homemade charcoal. Previously I was not able to get the fireball to grow enough to not have to angle the stock down trying to find a hot spot.  This is a traveling setup - so everything needs broken down easily. 

With the box bellows I can gently pump and get it going well enough. For kicks so put in a piece of a 7/8”  half shaft and was able to get it up to temp easily. I think this size of bellows is more than adequate for what I need at the moment.

Also first time making a knife.  The knife is out of a plow disk and anchored in a file handle. I didn’t care to clean it up all the way - but it cuts things - so it is a knife!  

I also started making another set of tongs via drawing out reigns. That convinced me that I need to learn to forge weld ASAP.  I enjoy making other things more than making tongs...  Alternatively at work I have access to a CNC plasma cutter - thinking I should just make a small run of tong blanks. 

17C86731-362F-4F70-AF7D-C4E031C111A5.jpeg

AA10FEF8-E5B4-4050-8441-D5E925B45639.jpeg

16 hours ago, JHCC said:

The shaft is 3/4” aluminum conduit, for both strength and lightness of weight. 

Field testing today revealed that the aluminum conduit is just fine for dandelions and thistles, but not strong enough for burdock. Time to make version 2, which will have an all-steel handle (probably 1/2" schedule 40). Blade works great, though.

Jhcc, Good looking weed puller, the ones I like have a built in fulcrum just above the blade so you can dig the weeds out vs just cutting them, though those were just a simple V instead of your robust W blade. Maybe something to think about for v2

Llama, looks like the bellows work great.

Spent some time cleaning up one of the barns. I found a few things that could be useful. Most notably a foot operated grinding stone. The stone is a bit uneven, but it sharpened up my pocket knife well enough. Is there a way to dress a stone like this? Also a set of bolt tongs with a broken reign, i eyeballed it to hold 1/2-3/4 inch round stock. As for work in the shop, I have been doing some more viking weaves for some scrap art ideas I have. A snake and a mosquito, both still in progress as i find and modify the right pieces.

20200726_115206.jpg

20200726_115119.jpg

1 hour ago, Shabumi said:

Is there a way to dress a stone like this

Yes, there are a couple of ways. I use a diamond point grind stone dresser, clamped in my drill press vise. Bolt the vise to the frame with the point in light contact to the high spot on the wheel then turn the wheel while drawing the point across the face of the stone. Then make multiple passes advancing the dresser with each pass. Using that method, it trued up the wheel fine.

There is a single mother of three in our church who is really striving to do a good job and provide for her children. Her home was wrecked pretty bad by hail over the last few years so a foreman for a local contractor went around and got donations for siding, trim, gutters etc. And organized getting men from the church to go help with the work over the weekends. I decided that because he is going so far out of his way to bless this woman he should get a little blessing in return. So, I am making him a framing hammer. I got a good start on it today. Hopefully I'll have it done in time to give to him when I go help again this Saturday. 519F3F08-DBBE-423F-B39A-0F0104764890.jpeg.eb844b78e8a0d48ea5c36491dfbbd5f0.jpeg

Got my little brother's kukri drilled for pins, hardened, tempered, and cleaned back up... also found out that the steel I made my hot cut tool from is not hardenable, mild carbon at best guest. Sigh.... next attempt will be made from a 1" thick semi leaf spring piece.

20200726_235940.jpg

20200726_235925.jpg

20200726_211147_HDR.thumb.jpg.a75372eaa769b3c0838d6d750d7ac86e.jpg

made a Kana hoe, design is from Japan, definitely the best weeding tool I've ever used. Made from a discarded lawnmower blade, local vine maple copper pipe ferules with 15N20 end caps soldered on. First time I've done this, think it turned out pretty Good considering. Going to do a full tang next time I make one.

20200726_204817_HDR.jpg

Saturday we went up and visited Daughter #1 and held a celebration for a lot of things we had been putting off.  Her boyfriend is thinking of coming down for a hand forged flower class next weekend.  We also did our "big city shopping" for a month. 

Meanwhile we've received about 1/2 a year's precipitation since Friday Morning.  Arroyos flowing, flash flooding, streets covered with debris, weeds easier to pull...Muggy weather.  All I got done Sunday was spending some time with my wife in the house and sneaking out to the smithy to cut the flower blanks out of copper and to file the edges smooth.

Pretty clean job on that kukri welshj

That's a crazy design for a weed puller. But exactly what is expect from the Japanese!  I was always dumbfounded by the hand tools I saw over there. Then they'd use them and then I was impressed by the ease and fluency with which they'd accomplish their tasks. Well done Omnislug. 

Forged a couple of lizards from old bolts. A loop in the tail makes a good pivot for a serviette hold down thing. The holder for the tail and the siderails are 6mm stainless. The base is a nicely figured piece of N.Q. maple. One of those happy sort of creations that make people smile.

serviette.JPG

serviette1.JPG

On 7/27/2020 at 11:25 AM, Cannon Cocker said:

I decided that because he is going so far out of his way to bless this woman he should get a little blessing in return. So, I am making him a framing hammer. 

It’s a fine thing you do, sir. The world needs more of that way of thinking.