• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most folks I know going for a differential temper place the edge in the water and then use the torch on the spine.  (Hard for double edged blades!)

Another method is to use tempering tongs.  (Found a set at the fleamarket for US$5 once---they didn't know what they were.....Bwahahahahahahahah.)

Here’s a pair I made from a pair of twist tongs that didn’t work out and some chunks of 1-1/4” round. 

16FC2CF8-88B2-4CD1-B420-B9DEC5140878.jpeg

And speaking of tongs, the cold shut on the offset tongs turned out to be a surface issue only, so that’s good news. 

Tried forging my first piece. Made a coal rake from 3/8 round. The loop ended up a little crooked but I’m gonna fix it tomorrow. I started making a rake from flat bar as well to practice drawing out. Didn’t get too much done on it before it was dark. 36C64730-14F2-4A9A-A926-9FC72FEE63E7.thumb.jpeg.f348f35ed074c6936e8b97d9e2c78dbe.jpeg

Greetings Pr3ssure,

Lookin good for your first piece.  Try working a little hotter not so hot on thin stock. Take your time . What I tell my students.                     

(  PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE YOUR SUCCESS IS DIRECTLY PROPORTIONATE TO YOUR SCRAP PILE )

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

12 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Lookin good for your first piece.

Thanks Jim, I’ve still gotta work on heating the right places in the coal. By the end of the day I was doing alright but I don’t think my fire was centered in the pot. I’m hoping to wake up before the heat tomorrow. 

Das,

Methinks thou art,  entirely too modest, Sir.

You call your latest creation  "botched" ?

What should I call my collection of attempts,  usually consigned to the  (s)cr*p pile?

Creative?  Better said  GYAHHH !!

You are setting the standards way too high for some of us, smithing mediocrities.

SLAG.

p.s.  my 'alienist' thinks my iron banging-mangling is therapeutic.

21 hours ago, JHCC said:

Harder to do with split-rein tongs, but not impossible.

Wow, i"m impressed if you made them out of split rein..  Jealous actually as that is a great bit of work with the offset/bolt jaw..  Impressive.. 

We have go to spend some time together so we can get you forge welding.. I love the fact you use the split method so often..  But we need to get you forge welding.. :) 

7 hours ago, SLAG said:

You call your latest creation  "botched" ?

Yeah, well ok, it didn't end up in the scrap pile, but it's not up to what I was wanting. I rushed it tho. The spoon part turned out fine. Its the twists and finial. I might have to make another as a "sample" for the interested gentleman. 

Thanks for the idea Glenn. I think I'll try that on the next. Also think I'll break out the torches to heat for the twist.

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Wow, i"m impressed if you made them out of split rein..  Jealous actually as that is a great bit of work with the offset/bolt jaw..  Impressive.. 

Thank you! The treadle hammer makes splitting the reins so easy (even easier now, with the added weight in the head) that almost all of the work lies in preforming, shaping, and fitting the jaws. 

(I should add that while these are functional, I’m not very happy with how the nibs came out. I’ll just have to make another pair....)

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

We have go to spend some time together so we can get you forge welding.. I love the fact you use the split method so often..  But we need to get you forge welding.. :) 

That would be nice. I learned forge-welding back in the day, but I am horribly out of practice.

Where do you plan to put the mounting screws?  In the leaf they take away a bit of the leafyness; many people will use a center punch like punch to expand the shaft under the leaf to put 2 screw holes in it.  Now if you use old dome headed wood screws you could decorate them to look like ladybugs/ladybirds...

On 10/8/2018 at 1:14 PM, metaldrms said:

I learned that I will never take a torch to the spine of a knife to temper a little more. I did that today and I was going slow and low with the torch and saw a straw color coming from the spine and all of the sudden it turned purple and rushed to the edge. I put the blade in water to try to stop this madness but I file tested and it is extremely soft so I gotta heat treat again. :angry:

Gotta love 5160 for how fast the temper colors run. I'm just making an educated guess you were heat treating 5160 spring steel, I haven't read beyond this post today. From my limited bladesmithing experience the only way I was able to get a progressive temper was to put a chill block on the edge and even then I got a dark straw instead of pale. 

I'll see if I guessed right when I open the next page.

Bullet Dodging Blind Miserable John? CoolB), we'll be able to say, "We knew him when he was just John the Grammar Hammer." Oh to be so close to fame and fortune. We'll be the envy of all! :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Made a second coctail spoon as a sample for the comissioner. Might send a picure of this one even though its longer than the normal ones. Still could do better on the twists. Ugh. Sorry, didnt try the reverse on this one Glenn. I do dig it more tho. 

IMG_09102018_232915_(500_x_900_pixel).jpg

IMG_09102018_233641_(500_x_900_pixel).jpg

9 hours ago, Ben Hoover said:

Nowhere near y'all in skill. My first attempt.  Only 99 more to go!!  

Hey Ben. Leaves are fun. You have the right shape so now experiment. Make some different viening fullers to see what you  like. That one could use more viening but the shape is good. Like you said , only a whole bunch more to make. I does get easier

On 10/10/2018 at 12:04 AM, Kevin Olson said:

. Hey Ben. Leaves are fun. You have the right shape so now experiment. Make some different viening fullers to see what you  like. That one could use more viening but the shape is good. Like you said , only a whole bunch more to make. I does get easier

Gonna try something this weekend.  We will see if it succeeds.