I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

9 hours ago, Dax Hewitt said:

starter motor rotors. 

Those are car power window motor rotors. I have been saving those for a while and have a constant trickle of them through working in a body shop. When we get a used door with one or replace a bad regulator the motor usually comes with it. 

Here is a thread on making these. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been at this for a little over a year now. I was working a project that went horribly wrong (I learned from it though). I thought to myself that I'm going to get something positive out of this. I cut the bad end off, flattened both ends, brought them together and made my first forge weld.

IMG_20181020_174315383.jpg

I did a demo at a little Railroad depot up in Sandown, NH..   150miles round trip, lunch a few RR books.. It was a fun demo.. 

I made a new blade out of bicycle chain..  Still gotta file it but happy overall  with the forging.. Lot like the pattern I made last out of 3 stacks of cable, but with a larger pinky hook and of course the bicycle chain.. 

20181020_190831.jpg

20181020_123539.jpg

20181020_145553.jpg

44398063_244568469533899_3219557813508374528_n.jpg

Thanks JLP. I had some Boraxo on hand and used that. Being able to forge weld opens another door for me. I have to say I was a little skeptical using charcoal. Being born and raised in the Show Me state I have to see some things for myself.

Charcoal is an excellent fuel for forge welding or any forging operation.. One of the finest.. Much better than coal for sure.. :) 

Please remember charcoal was the fuel of choice a very long time before coal even came on the scene.. 

My only complaint about charcoal is it burns faster..  LOL..  for me this is probably the only thing I have had in my life that in all these years this 1 complaint is it..  I usually have oh maybe 3-1000's of things to complain about.. 

I made a bottle opener with a leaf finial then I took it and my two "pocket clip" bottle openers to a few stores. I found one store that bought them at $20 a piece and had an order placed for a couple more as well as a few hooks! This is my first smiting sale so I'm pretty excited about it! 20181020_180345.thumb.jpg.5df6a5d7e4c202b9f5b58eba43d24ed0.jpg20181020_180219.thumb.jpg.09d0f882c7f6e44028ac8ca87f2f7f9a.jpg 

16 hours ago, Cannon Cocker said:

I made a bottle opener with a leaf finial then I took it and my two "pocket clip" bottle openers to a few stores. I found one store that bought them at $20 a piece and had an order placed for a couple more as well as a few hooks!

Nice bottle opener CC ... hope you sell lots of them. :)

6 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

My only complaint about charcoal is it burns faster..  LOL..  for me this is probably the only thing I have had in my life that in all these years this 1 complaint is it..  I usually have oh maybe 3-1000's of things to complain about.. 

Charcoal 1, life 3000. 

Must live a charcoal life then :P

Forge welding can be a fickle mistress for lots of folks..  practice makes perfect and one of the things I love about steel or wrought iron or any metal is the fact that once you know the material it's all the same..   No spells cast on harvest moon, or a funky chicken dance while bleeding out a goat.. 

Once these basics are known, it's a no brainer for it all..  With charcoal you have all ready eliminated one of the big problems which is a dirty fire..  this for most is the number 1 problem.. Next would be heat control..  

For some reason people newer to forge welding always seem to have a dirtier coal fire..  Even once it's been cleaned..  LOL..  

Cut the top out of the Molson keg to make a new slack tub. 

506FB3EB-F654-4EA6-86A3-D5DD8F32C05D.jpeg

And since the gas grill base that used to support the removable flue for my coal forge has become the base for my new gas forge, I needed to make a new movable flue support. An old garden tool caddy does the job nicely, and also provides storage space for some coal sacks.

A70BDFAC-783D-4A6E-95EA-3DD6F6DFC077.jpeg