I Forge Iron

celebrating a milestone

pnut

I'm not sure if this is really appropriate or not but I'm sure there's some members and lurkers who are struggling with substance abuse issues and maybe this can show them a different life is possible. Today I have been clean for seven years. I remember a time when I couldn't imagine this being possible. I surely didn't think so on Feb 2nd 2013. 

I just wanted to let everyone know how much this site, Glenn, and the members here have helped me in ways that are impossible to put in to words. Thank you all so much. 

Hopefully I will be able to post again next year on Feb 2nd celebrating another year but I'm getting ahead of myself and am just thankful to be celebrating today. 

Pnut

Thanks. Next Feb is not on my mind. Sometimes fifteen minutes at a time is as far as I look ahead, especially in the early days. 

I truthfully posted this here because I was looking for an attaboy and I feel proud I've managed it this far. I've been a little isolated since I moved two years ago and my close friends aren't around or are still using so I don't see them. The people I do see don't see it as any big deal. Sometimes you need a pat on the back. 

The thing I'm most grateful for is my mother got to see nearly five years of my recovery before she died. 

Thanks for the good wishes and support. I really don't know that I'd be doing as well without Blacksmithing and the folks here on IFI.   It's become a big part of my life especially since I don't do a lot of socializing since the move. 

It's about time for work so I better get ready. 

Pnut

Well I'll be. Lorelei Sims episode of a Craftsman's Legacy just came on the TV.  

Unfortunately I hear that all too often. I'm sorry. Thanks for the support. 

Pnut

13 minutes ago, Kevin Olson said:

And Lorelei Sims is the first blacksmith book I recieved and the good wife gave it to me on Christmas

I've read it numerous times but don't own it. My local library has a copy. I watch a Craftsman's Legacy every Sunday as I get ready for work. There's an episode with Kevin Cashen also. 

Pnut

You deserve an 'atta boy,  pnut. I don't tell this often, but we are family here. My first marriage was destroyed by meth addiction.  Not mine, that was his. It was rough going and no excuses, but I developed my own problem with opioids. The man who I eventually married found out and he said it was either him or the pills. I was so angry at him. Who was he to tell me what to do? But I quit cold turkey and that's not for the faint of heart in itself. It's been about 7 years for me too. I thank God he came into my life. So, I'm always happy to hear when someone beats whatever monkey is on their back and keep it that way. I know it's not easy. We are here for support and to help hold you up. Im happy for you

Congratulations, Pnut.  It is an accomplishment that you can and should be proud of.  Don't worry about next February, just today and tomorrow.

I'm glad blacksmithing has helped you.  It is surprisingly theraputic on an number of levels.  It has certainly helped me keep on an even keel for the last 40 years.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thank you for support. It might be sooner than you think. I might have found a vehicle to buy. Still have to go look at it when I get the time, but it's not advertised for sale so it's no hurry.  

Pnut

• 2 weeks later...

Pnut, I don't know how I missed this thread at the first of the month.  I'll give you a great big ATTABOY, for sure!   It's not easy to kick a habit.........of any kind, especially drugs.  Happy for you and plumb proud of you for being able to do it.