Jasent

Let’s see some fire pokers

Handle deigns are limitless..  I've done maybe 50 different designs based on old hardware handles..  I have only the pictures on facebook to show for it.. I didn't grab 1 picture otherwise.. somehow, poker handles just never met the picture requirement level of latches or other more unique items I've forged.. 

1 note or single music note I did for an Opera singer..   Different variations of the blacksmith twist (aka basket).  Different blacksmith diamond patterns..  

Where i find the limits are on the return hook.  Flat taper, sq taper. round taper.  

Nice poker by the way.. 

Thank you jlp.  I’ve been surfing threw your face book photos and my head is swimming with ideas.  

Thank you bud.  I’ve had a very busy work year so far but it’s starting to slow down a bit. Feast or famine 

One of my first projects once my forge was ready. My mother wanted a longer-than-usual firepoker for my parents' outside firepit.

I made it from a 1/2" bar from a window grate from their previous house. The handle is from a piece of broken axe handle with brass pins.

20180710_184200b.thumb.jpg.79d85e8ce5cd4ab848a1a859bcd833b0.jpg

This fireplace poker represents my first attempt at making a twisted basket handle. It's not perfect, but it was a good learning experience. Next time I'll go for smoother transitions into and out of the basket and use a different finial design with more weight to it.

poker-entire.thumb.jpg.04797f40aaf93d63ad86e364d305aac4.jpg

I used four rods to make the basket and made it without using a mandrel rod. However, when I make another basket I think I'll probably use six rods and employ the mandrel method that Jennifer demonstrated in her video. She has made some truly elegant basket twist handles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtnzbdZ93g

Al (Steamboat)

Looks perfect enough to me Al. Quite nice for a first attempt. 

Fine work as always Jeremy. You should post pictures of your work more often for some added inspiration. :)

Fireplace door handles on a current project.

IMG_20180911_110149071_LL.jpg

IMG_20180911_111355095.jpg

Back to seeing others fireplace pokers

15 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Looks perfect enough to me Al. Quite nice for a first attempt. 

Thanks, Das. I've done a sizable number of metal fabrication projects over the years, but not much in the way of blacksmithing, so now I'm trying to gradually build up my skill set in that area as time permits.

Jeremy, excellent work on the fireplace screen. What mesh and gauge of woven wire cloth did you use? Do you have a preferred source for wire cloth? I'm planning to make screens, tools, and accessories for at least four fireplaces and possibly five in the Federal-period house that we're restoring. By the way, the basket-handle poker that I posted above is NOT intended for our old-house project...it was just a learning experiment.

Al (Steamboat)

Lots of inspiration, I borough, borough an borough with my eyes;). Every single picture nice work. Making a fire poker is usually my first work piece assignment the students make in beginners class.