I Forge Iron

Thomas Powers

ThomasPowers

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll drink to that! Here's to wearing out at a slower rate than medicine improves! I'm glad I've lived long enough for the parts to start wearing out, I don't know how I made it but here I am. Procedures that were science fiction a few years ago are out patient ho-hum things today. 

Frosty The Lucky.

My late friend Barry (who won the Nobel Prize for medicine in the 70s) once told me that one of the goals for cancer treatment was to keep the patient alive long enough to die of old age!

I've been reading a lot already trying to stay distracted; but mostly old murder mysteries---written to provide distraction during the great depression.  My tolerance level is going down  for insurance companies and Drs offices automatically assuming that I: must not be at work and must have secondary insurance and it must be due to an accident---got asked who my attorney was!  (I hadn't realized I could sue growing older! I am a bit unsure that I would like a summary judgement to prevent that from happening anymore...)

It was the insurance company wanting to know if I had an attorney.  We had a previous run-in when I lost consciousness and had a seizure while at a used bookstore.  The Insurance company wanted to go after the bookstore and I told them no they had *nothing* to due with my syncope and it would be an abuse of the legal system to try to make them pay anything!  (and I'm required by my company to do what's ethical!) They kept saying that "they had insurance for things like that" and I kept saying "You don't really understand about morals and ethics do you..."  I'm still welcome at the used book store.

Yup tomorrow is the day.  My DW drug me up to our house in Socorro for the weekend, no internet, but that worked out well as I bought close to 500 pounds of stuff from the local scrapyard, half was for her, 231 pounds of used T posts to put up a larger fence for her dog at the casita, half was mine 246 pounds including some real wrought iron, old hand saw---used to separate alloys that don't like to weld to themselves in billets. A dozen 1/8" brazing rods, some muffin tins---great when you are taking something apart and you can put all the nuts/bolts/fiddly bits at each step in a separate depression making assembly much easier as you know the order!  Some sucker rod ends with the handy square part and ridge for making hardy tooling from, Finally 2 appx 9" diameter cast iron spherical dock weights with steel hook protruding.  I'm hope to pass them on to armour makers; but a 100 pounds a piece they dug into my pocket a bit even at 20 cents a pound!

It also helped that I was able to work on the swamp cooler, again, had to ream out scale build up in the spider, but it was cooling the house down nicely when I finished---I won't be able to climb the ladder and work on it for over a month.  I also told my wife that when it came time to replace it we were going to mount one on the back porch so all the upkeep could be done on it sitting in a chair!

As I expected, lots of new stock that now gets to sit until I get the OK to forge again...A great inducement to heal fast!

(Please feel free to consult with a Higher Thomas; It has given me much serenity to know that even curmudgeonly doubters were acceptable and so I have a solid chance!)

Nope I'm going in for a subtractive process.  We did discuss writing a note to the surgeon in the general location; but I told my wife I would prefer him to NOT start laughing while wielding a cutting instrument inside me...

I know some poor technicians that do the subtractive process. Guess the engineers added too many bolts for their liking. :huh: I just pick up the bolts and fasteners off the floor and hang on to them till the car comes back and I have to work on it so I can put them back in. Most of those guys don't work here any more. 

You should write the surgeon a note. It'll wake em up better then coffee.