I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

The wife's cat had to be put down yesterday. She was taken by cancer. 9 years old. She was originally my granddaughters cat. Found her in a bush in a wallyworld parking lot in North Carolina. My granddaughters dad had to tear out half a wall in his house to rescue her when they moved here to Ohio. That was when she came to live with us. Spent the better part of her 9 years with us. Now she is buried out back by the barn next to my dog...a couple barn cats, a possum and a raccoon.

Anyway this is Arin. She was one of those small compact cats. Not big but weighed a lot. 

20191023_220825.thumb.jpg.aa0e74aa9a1de320b1944e3c7091dbd2.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was a pretty girl.  So sorry for her passing.  It's always a crappy time when that happens.  They are members of our families, I don't care what anyone says.  

We lost one of ours not long ago.  We had him cremated like other animals we've had from the past.  My wife doesn't consider this our forever home and doesn't want to bury anyone here.

• 1 month later...

The resident turtle passed through yesterday and two wild turkeys were in the yard this morning.   There are two bird nests outside the shop and parent birds are trying to convince me the area close to their nest is their space.  Next they will complain that there is too much noise and it keeps their kids awake.

I missed by a week Billy, my condolences for the loss of your wife's cat. It's a tough time. We have a 15yro cat we rescued as an adult and she's starting to fade. 

You know Glenn, when we compare lifespans I'm wondering if the turtle doesn't think you human types just passing through. 

After a day and a half of steady soaking rain, leaves are starting to pop, it's greening up! The Robins are nesting so Ronnie the newest dachshund is on high alert. It's a hoot watching her track Robbins in the driveway. She follows the trails they followed picking up whatever Robbins in the driveway pick up. Yeah, sand, seeds and bugs, I know but a little mystery makes a better story. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Mr. B. Bones,

I missed your sad tidings.

It is always sad when a family member dies.

Your beloved cat is, now,  in a better place.

Pussy cats do not live nearly long enough.

Are there any plans to rescue another one?

SLAG.  and  Marg.

DARN, I got involved in the short little story about Ronnie tracking Robbins and forgot the point of telling it.

Unless you have a tortoise our pets live too short a time. Cherish the good times while they're with us but cry for them and honor them with the good memories and stories when they cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Frosty The Lucky.

We bought a dozen Guinea Hens in an effort to control the tick population here in the woods. They were doing fine, coming home when it was time to feed them. Then one day a wild hen Turkey with her chicks in tow came into the yard. While watching them I noticed that the Guineas were socializing with them. When the hen lead her brood off into the woods, the Guinea's followed them. That was the last time I saw them.:(

That is true Pnut.

They don't need much feeding other than in the winter time. I start mine in the chicken coop so they know that is home. They stay in there in the colder months but prefer to roost in nearby trees in the warmer months. 

My old flock is down to one old male and with finding a bunch of ticks already this year we decided to get more keets. 

There isn't much controlling them if they are free to roam. They would often stop traffic on our road. People didnt know that if they proceed slowly they will move. It was funny to see them stop and honk or even get out and try to shoo them off. There were some guineas that weren't so lucky tho. Speed limit is overly low at 25mph but some cars fly down the road without a care. 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing about driving slow to avoid hitting loose animals. The unintended consequence is they learn to believe everybody will slow down or stop for them. Bummer when one doesn't.

There were a number of loose dogs in the neighborhood where I used to live, they hung out in the alley I used to get to my place. These dogs would walk out and lay down in front of vehicles using the alley. In no time they had everybody trained to get out and coax them our of the way. They were just big friendly love bugs who wanted the attention and petting. 

Happily they chose the alley rather than the street to ply their trade and one of the hot rod kids didn't get one or more. I wouldn't stop, slowed down to start but gradually drove faster and they'd get out of the way. They learned to recognize my pickup so I was the only person they'd move for.

Sooo I started borrowing friend's rigs and the dogs would stand just out of the alley and look as friendly and deserving of attention as possible out of the traffic. They were sweet dogs, I always loved on them IF they came to my driveway, no treats but lots of scratches and ear rufflings. 

I almost lost a dog to a car as a kid. That's when I learned to NOT call your dog if s/he's on the other side of the street! Dad yelled SIT and Trooper's but hit the ground so he only got clipped mad made a full recovery from a dislocated hip and leg joint. 

The MOST important command you can teach your dog is DOWN, STAY. You want them to hit the ground and skid from a dead run and wait for you to release them. You WANT your dog to stay on the other side of any road until YOU come and get them. 

Deb lost Bonnie the Border Collie she had when we met. Bonnie always stayed glued to Deb but went exploring one evening and got hit on the road maybe 15' from our driveway. That was really hard on both of us. Bonnie was a much abused "rescue", Deb actually removed her from where she was staked late one night. Deb spent months getting calmed enough to handle and I was gaining her trust. Moving from the UP to Alaska and into my house went a long way but when we moved into this house I guess she decided to look around. 

A good DOWN, STAY wouldn't have helped save Bonnie but I know too many examples where it would have. An obedient dog is a loved dog.

Frosty The Lucky.

I didn't mean to make that sound like it was recent, it's been more than 20 years. I just got to reminiscing about how easy it can be to loose pets. I have a special spot in my heart for wounded souls and Bonnie was one. Deb and I have some funny stories about Bonnie's fight against getting to trust me. She did okay for someone so consumed by fear she could hardly move at times. 

Deb and I "eloped" I'd visited her at her farm in the UP and a couple months later she visited me in Anchorage where we got married. Alaska doesn't require a blood test and we weren't planning on children, it would've taken surgery, not planning. So, the timing worked and BOY were her friends upset we didn't get married THERE!

She'd sold the farm and everything she didn't want to bring and given away what she couldn't sell. All her stuff was down to a 23' box van found for us by one of her goat breeder friends. He had his mechanic check it out, bought it and had it gone over at his farm so it was: mechanically sound, tuned, lubed and ready for the Alcan hwy. We reimbursed him of course, what he'd accept.  Deb has some AWESOME friends! They held a reception for us when next I visited the UP drive the box van from Missouri to her farm and load what was left and drive it north. 

Sorry, reminiscing again. Skip driving the box van with the Great Pyr puppy, her flying back to tie up loose ends, etc.  By time Deb and friend Julie arrived in Anchorage with Bonnie, Deb's 2 cats and Julie's dog packed into Deb's Dodge Caravan, Bonnie wasn't sure what Armageddon had befallen her. She sure as dogs sniff butts did NOT like moving into my mobile home thoroughly permeated with my scent. I was the one who'd taken her only trusted person!

Maybe two days later we discovered Bonnie had eaten the crotch out of a pair of my underwear, fresh from the hamper you betcha! The antics and trials continued for more than two years and she was coming around. She didn't cringe, get up and leave the room, even let me pet her if Deb was in the room. A reasonably happy ending was in sight. 

And she got hit. 

It's always tough but some are tougher than others.

Teach your dog a good DOWN STAY.

Frosty The Lucky.

Our current dog Ember showed up on our front porch; starved, dehydrated, with a collar so tight it was eating into her neck.  Also she was extremely pregnant---delivered 2 weeks from when she arrived, only had one surviving pup.  As far as the vet could tell she is full blooded scottie.  She too has issues with men; but she came around where I could pet her without totally losing it.  (My wife's superpower is acquiring pregnant animals.) 

My daughters dog, a little pit, got ran over by a huge dually truck. Both rear tires went over her mid section. She lived through that and had to be carried out of the middle of the road back to the house. My daughter called the vet and he said best thing to do was make her comfortable and a pain killer might help. Expecting the dog to die she gave her a vicodan. The next morning the dog woke her up wanting to go out and do her business. She hit the yard running and frolicking like nothing had happened. Lived about another 8 years. 

The driver was quite sorry and upset about it. The dog did run out in front of him and there was no animosity felt towards him. 

How long has your cat been getting high like that, Dennis? Have you thought about an intervention and rehab? I'd LOVE a video of the intervention if you go that route. Kitty might object.

Of course building it a couple more shelves in the trees so s/he can lay and watch for prey or escape danger might let the birds use the "bird" house.  

Ahh, what fun would THAT be.

Frosty The Lucky.