I Forge Iron

hand forged "perfect handle" screwdriver

bobasaurus

I forged this so-called "perfect handle" screwdriver for a tool swap on lumberjocks. I'm just starting to learn some blacksmithing to augment my woodworking, so it's not super clean but I'm proud of it.

The blade is O1 steel that started as 3/4" diameter drill rod. I heat treated it myself in the forge and my kitchen oven. The scales are dyed maple burl. Finished with BLO and renaissance wax.

2016-05-18_08.39.26_11.jpg

2016-05-18_08.41.47_12.jpg

2016-05-18_08.38.08_9.jpg

2016-05-18_08.38.59_10.jpg

2016-04-24_15.55.08_1.jpg

2016-05-17_19.07.59_3.jpg

Spanky, look for a set of Chapman gunsmith screwdrivers. They come in a set. What makes them different is that the blades are straight up, not a wedge like most are. The straight sides, and width choices make them fit the screw slot perfectly resulting less camming out. 

Another trick is to put the screwdriver in the slot, then belt the handle with a hammer-the style above or one with a through shank is best. The shock will loosen the screw many times making it easier to remove. 

If the item can be put in a drill press, put a driver bit in the chuck, bring the handle down so it is in the screw head, then while applying down force like you were drilling a hole twist the chuck to loosen the screw. 

I have destroyed a fair number of stainless wood screws with phillips heads using a battery screwdriver. I then have to try to get them out wit pliers. Pozidrive seems to be slightly better but I use torx whenever they are available.

I agree, a very nice screwdriver

it looks like you did a good job with forging it pretty close to finish. very nicely made, if only every one else made just as good looking/quality screw drivers, but I guess that wouldn't be very reasonable.

Littleblacksmith

I very rarely use such screwdrivers for their intended purpose these days.  I do pick up quite a few from flea markets though... they make nice chisels for my leatherwork!  At fifty cents to a dollar each and with just a minute on the grinder, they are better quality and vastly cheaper than chisels from the leather stores or woodworking shops!  Most are not nearly as nice as this one though!  They work well as small wood chisels too, for such fiddly work as inletting door latch plates.

1 hour ago, bigfootnampa said:

I very rarely use such screwdrivers for their intended purpose these days.  I do pick up quite a few from flea markets though... they make nice chisels for my leatherwork!  At fifty cents to a dollar each and with just a minute on the grinder, they are better quality and vastly cheaper than chisels from the leather stores or woodworking shops!  Most are not nearly as nice as this one though!  They work well as small wood chisels too, for such fiddly work as inletting door latch plates.

Hah, I would die a little inside if someone used this as a chisel.  I actually want to forge some chisels soon, though I might need to make some tooling to form the socket or tang.  

Their isn't a whole lot of tooling involved. Really only the only thing is a mandrel of some sort to form the socket around.

Littleblacksmith

Well, yeah... One as nice as this I couldn't bring myself to sharpen for chiseling!  Mostly I save the nicest ones anyway.  I do like the wooden handled screwdrivers for chisels though!  They just feel nicer in my hands!  I think the older ones are better steel as well!