I Forge Iron

To the fellow wanting to know if I ever shut up

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is WOW!    15 THOUSAND posts!!!   That is a lot!!!.   And with all the support I am reading perhaps I'll need to seek out more of those.  

I honestly don't always catch or mentally record the names of many of the posters here.   I mostly just read/look at the info and digest.   That may sound a little impersonal but on the other hand I don't much care who I learn from.    

On the other hand I have met Brian several times and when I see his posts I pay some special attention.   Mostly I guess because I know him personally.   Most of you other folks I don't know personally.   Maybe I need to get out more.    I have that pesky day job goin!   This is still more of a hobby for me AND a chance to learn.   Part of me just like learning new stuff.

Finally.   There are very few people in this world I would like to shut up.   And even those I might like to silence I guess I feel that the whole freedom of speech thing supercedes any personal thoughts I have on that.

So carry on please.    16000++++???     20,000?   50,000?

Borntoolate... I've come to pretty well recognize a Psychobabblonian post just from the way it reads. I almost always enjoy reading them. My wife has had to tell new friends not to think I don't like them when I joke with them... it's when I stop that they should be worried. Why waste a good jibe on someone not worth it?

Please continue to share your well-earned wisdom in your beautifully wrought manner good sir. And I too hope to some day be able to look you in the eye, shake your hand and express my gratitude.

Would y'all just stop that!  I'm a crabby old coot who just wanted to help a fellow to ignore me and get on with his life; and perhaps let others know that there is a simple way to deal with such issues on this site.  (Hmmm I wonder what happens if you put yourself on your ignore list...yes I've done a bunch of SW testing and coming up with abberant scenarios for break testing was always the most fun...)

Now I'm taking the forge over to a friend's house tonight and we are going to forge a bunch of stuff to pay off some Mercs at a SCA war coming up next week.  This weekend my old apprentice is supposed to show up at my 'real" abode and borrow my shop to do a similar thing but he's going to use the screwpress to strike a bunch of coins (meanwhile I am thinking over the projects hanging fire where I need a striker---bwahahahahahaha) 

So can we get back to making stuff and discussing all the myriad ways folks can do a task with a hammer and hot metal?  Please!

I was talking with Pep about doing a postvise leg repair with a forge weld and welding on a a wrap of real wrought iron to strengthen the joint as a demo for the Southern NM group.  Since then I was remembering that there is a postvise missing the back jaw at a local juntique place and as I've stockpiled a bunch of WI, I wonder if we could forge another jaw/head section and forge weld it onto the original vise right above the eye for the screw...Then there is always that william foster than needs a new face forge welded on...Postman suggested I forgeweld the face material to a WI slab and do a WI to WI weld to put it on as the WF anvils tended to use low grade WI...

Hmmm...hmmm...hmmm...what to say, what to say?  I've been using the interwebs for some time now and I've run into people who remind me of Mr. Powers but lack authenticity.  There are those on many a forum, sick and psychophanted, who want nothing more than to troll a site...cull the herd if you will...in a vagrant effort to assert themselves as  a  better, or as a superior.  At first, after my first post I thought Mr. Powers was one of these and assumed that I had merely run into another keyboard warrior whose mommy hadn't cuddled with him enough to curb this behavior but my assumption was quickly eradicated by the depth in knowledge that Mr. Powers clearly spoke from.  I quickly rescinded myself from reprimanding Mr. Powers and instead began looking forward to his contrary commentary.  I cannot tell you the difference between a prius and a dump truck, nor what I would use them for, in a post that was less than 100 words long, but I was chastised for it as my question lacked clarity, I was called out on it and rightly so.  To not have done so Mr. Powers would have done us and me a disservice.  To dissuade Mr. Powers from commenting further would also do us and me a disservice.  At this point we have to recognize that without some thicker skin that allows us to accept constructive criticism, we will neither learn nor prosper from his responses.

ShawnW

I have read a bunch of your stuff Thomas, never thought "gee that guy is an idiot" but I still have my reservations about never seeing any pics, not sure I can trust a guy who won't bring pics to this forum, I mean we all want pics!! Give us pics!!! aaaaaagggggggg

ok there, it's out of my system, I will continue to read your posts! 

I have read a bunch of your stuff Thomas, never thought "gee that guy is an idiot" but I still have my reservations about never seeing any pics, not sure I can trust a guy who won't bring pics to this forum, I mean we all want pics!! Give us pics!!! aaaaaagggggggg

ok there, it's out of my system, I will continue to read your posts!

You've never seen the red hat? 

You can come off as somewhat grouchy and a slight smart alec at times, but since I have a similar demeanor (and thick skin) I can see that it's just your way of making people think about their questions and helping them answer their own questions. 

Even though you've given me grief at times, you've also been very helpful and I respect that greatly. 

Carry on sir B)

Given you grief?   I usually *charge* for grief---cue mandatory reference to Monty Python's "Argument" sketch...

But yes I get grumpy when people dump unformed questions that can't be answered "properly" as stated or make assumptions that everyone is in the USA---I have good friends in a lot of countries and life can be different there---not "better" or "worse"; *different* and so things we might find easily can't be sourced at a reasonable rate and sometimes vice versa.  (I was demonstrating billet welding to an 82 year old smith once in Germany at an open air museum and he kept telling me I was welding at too low a temperature---when my welds took and held he was astounded!  I asked to see his flux---quartz sand the old flux for wrought iron that takes high temps to melt and is not very "active"---he thought my borax was something special---I left the little "trial size" box with him so he could track down some for himself---he spoke pretty good english as he spent several years in a POW camp in the USA in the 40's...  or the day I spent with the Zamoranos in Toledo Spain.....I hear that the grandson of the fellow who was doing the sword forging in their shop is now their smith....)

So my two major grouches:   provide all needed information being specific and *please* include your location in the wide range of questions that have a location component to their answers!

I don't carp at spelling and grammer usually as my spelling is terrible and my typing worse.  I'm willing to answer questions that have been asked *many* times before.  I'll often list my sources where there is data in question.  And I spend MUCH too much time here, sigh.

(I still miss keen junk and brutus!)

Such a long thread, when a simple NO would  suffice  :D

Last night while at another site on the web, a man posted ... why do they do damascus that way and expect us to believe its real...  (this is a full quote)  He did not tell us who 'they' were, or give details about what 'way' he was upset about, or if he meant the crucible wootz or pattern welded steel.  But he did get very upset when we asked for information on these items.  We never did find out what he wanted,  he only yelled at us for not cooperating. so the staff there finally dropped the thread.

By now he may be sober enough to understand his question made little sense and I admit that is an extreme example.  The point is just because it makes sense to us does not mean others can understand what we were thinking at the time.  If we use slang, which in most cases has very different regional meanings, or phone "texting" abbreviations it gets much worse.  Location does make a difference, as well as the context of a statement.

Either way I want to be like Thomas when I grow up!   He is skilled, intelligent and has a lot to share.   I have never seen him refuse to help a person when he is able to assist.  Some people just enjoy making abusive posts.  Its not worth repeating what they were targeting, or posting more about an apparently emotionally disturbed person.  We may never know what they were thinking at the time.   We can only learn from it.