I Forge Iron

To the fellow wanting to know if I ever shut up

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close Frosty. But no one knows for sure, the computer that was built to find the question was blown up before it finished calculating it. 42 is the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. The Earth was the computer.

WOW!!!

I can't believe someone actually said something like that.

This is an open forum and everyone has the right to voice their opinion - but that crosses the line.

I mean,  sure, I've disagreed with things Thomas has said before, and I may have even been the recipient of a less than flattering comment, but no one has the right to tell anyone else to shut-up (except maybe the moderators in a way).

Thomas I have always appreciated your knowledge and skills in the art of blacksmithing. Please keep it up. 

Mr. Thomas, I possess a forge, hammer and an anvil.  Where can I find some steel and what should I make with it?  I hope that is specific enough for some great information. 

My first post, but have been lurking here for some time.  I have learned much from many of you here.  This is a great site and hope to continue learning from those (which is almost everyone) that have more experience, knowledge and wisdom than me.  A couple of years ago my neighbor gifted me with a corner of his welding shop and I have set up a bit of a smithy in there.  I have access to grinders, vises, welders etc. etc.most of which I could  not afford if I had to source it on my own.  He has been a great blessing. 

I do have one thought, many of us who are very self taught can get confused with some of the standard vernacular used by veteran smiths.  I ask for patience in the future if I ask a question that may be obvious to those that have been doing it for a long time, but still confusing to those of us just beginning.

Thanks to all who post here. 

I'm sorry Horse, but your question doesn't make sense - your set up is in a corner of a welding shop and you ask were to get some steel???? What to make??? what would you like to make??? Specific info?? not really. If you've been lurking since January of '11 then you should have a good idea of first projects if you've spent even a slight amount of time in the forums, or used the search function in the upper right corner of this sites pages.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Just out of curiosity: was your question an attempt to bait Thomas? There's nothing specific about it, just a few very non-specific questions. If you just don't express yourself well, you'll find us mostly pretty tolerant.

I have dirt, light and water, where can I get seeds and what should I grow?

So, tell me, how would YOU take it if a stranger introduced himself with a question like that?

Myself, I'm inclined to answer in kind, eg. At the steel store, make what you want.

On a more serious note, you're set up in a welding shop, pay the owner scrap prices to use his drops or just ask where they buy steel and buy some.

What's your skill level? Are you at a point where you're still developing basic eye hand skills? Make nails and work your way up to key fobs, leaf wall hooks, etc.

Don't sweat the terminology too much, nobody worth listening to is going to mock or give you grief for not knowing the name of things or what a process is called. Just don't get testy if we ask a question about your question. We're getting pretty good at translating blacksmith's jargon from many countries into new guy speak. Don't sweat it, we'll deal.

Lastly, if you're just a smart alec get used to being ignored and maybe moderated or even banned.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm guessing here and hoping that horse had his tongue firmly in his cheek!
Ian

Me too Ian, we're short of good jokesters, I'm getting tired of carrying so much of the pun load you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

My first post, but have been lurking here for some time.  I have learned much from many of you here. 

I do have one thought, many of us who are very self taught can get confused with some of the standard vernacular used by veteran smiths.  I ask for patience in the future if I ask a question that may be obvious to those that have been doing it for a long time, but still confusing to those of us just beginning.

Have you come across this in your lurking

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>  

it was put there to try to help this very problem of vernacular / terminology of the craft

Whoops was just trying to be funny with a ridiculous no point question not a bait, just hoping and believing that Mr. Thomas would get it, maybe not.  Mostly I just wanted to say thanks to all the smiths  on the site.  Sometimes it is impossible to see one's tongue in cheek via the keyboard.  My hat is off to Powers for his succinct responses to specific questions. 

As to my skill level I would say I am very much a beginner but have been spending as much time as I can for a couple of years.  I mostly use a gas forge and have not yet been able to weld in it.  I use a coal forge from time to time, it needs some work, and I occasionally get a weld to stick.  I make odds and ends and the people I give them to seem to appreciate them.  I have draft horses so have made quite a few horse head wall hooks, door knockers and other things with the big shoes.  

Again no harm meant just a bad humor attempt I suppose

Cant think at the moment of a specific vernacular issue, but sometimes I struggle to follow series of elements to completing a project when it is described by smiths that share the common language.  No fault of the person giving the guidance just hard to visualize sometimes.

Paul 

I'm a little gun shy at the moment; didn't answer as others had covered it the same way I would have.

Those big shoes are quite handy for a bunch of ornamental stuff; you are lucky to have an unending supply of them though at a hefty price!  Also if you haven't already---start saving all your farrier's rasps.  You can make a bunch of stuff with them too---everything from fancy spurs to hatchets to knives; not to mention that they often can still be used to hot file steel.

*Both* can be trading goods at a blacksmith conference.

As for welding---well you got to hold your mouth just right......