I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:53 PM, D.C. said:

C.BAUM....that anvil is possibly THE most beautiful thing I've ever seen on this site. Feel free to post more pictures...lots more...from all angles..

I agree most beautiful thing I've seen as well,   More pictures, PLEASE

Well, on account of the high command following some more pics of my anvil. Sorry for the mess in the background. I definitely need clean my smithy up. The anvil is a bit rusty as everything will get after it spend some time in a salt mine.

2016-09-06 15.51.53.jpg

2016-09-06 15.52.18.jpg

The face is absolutely plain. Just the edges are partially worn. 

2016-09-06 15.52.44.jpg

the hardy hole is about 45x45mm. Pretty difficult to buy hardy tools. Fortunately the air hammer runs perfectly so i'll soon try to forge a hot cut hardy. 

2016-09-06 15.53.24.jpg

On 9/2/2016 at 1:44 AM, c.baum said:

@Kevin_Olson

the anvil face is about 195mmx890mm incl. horn. price see following story.

A good friend and coworker of mine heard of that and we could convince him to "sell" the anvils and the air hammer to me. I paid in summary about US$500 to the supervisor and the maintenance brigade could pay their christmas party. A good deal in my eyes ;)

A GOOD deal? GOOD DEAL!:o  Holy mackerel you not only saved some beautiful tools and equipment you got it for pennies a kilo! You done good my friend really seriously good on all counts.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

this is my anvil on the new cherry chunk. it is stainless steel (maybe AISI 316 as it was a buoy weight) not hardened. it is shiny but not so hard as you can see in the second pic. may I weld a hardened C45 plate on it? or what can you suggest me to have a hard face to hammer on???

24092016552.jpg

18092016539.jpg

Hi all,

First time poster. My son and I are just getting into blacksmithing.  This is our first anvil, we picked it up at an antique shop in N. Ga.  It's pretty worn, the edges are rough and it has a dip in the middle, but it still rings like a bell and moves metal really well.  Markings say 106 lbs, weighs in at 104 on my home scale. From what I found on the 'net this appears to be a Peter Wright imported by Boker for Trenton.  If anyone can confirm or deny it would be appreciated.

Remo

Anvil1.jpg

Anvil2.jpg

Anvil3.jpg

2 hours ago, Remorhaz said:

Hi all,

First time poster. My son and I are just getting into blacksmithing.  This is our first anvil, we picked it up at an antique shop in N. Ga.  It's pretty worn, the edges are rough and it has a dip in the middle, but it still rings like a bell and moves metal really well.  Markings say 106 lbs, weighs in at 104 on my home scale. From what I found on the 'net this appears to be a Peter Wright imported by Boker for Trenton.  If anyone can confirm or deny it would be appreciated.

Remo

Anvil1.jpg

Anvil2.jpg

Anvil3.jpg

German made Trenton..  I have one in 155lbs... They are a nice anvil.. Enjoy..   Welcome to the group.. :)

Here are my two anvils first one is a 95? Lb Peter Wright 1852-1860 I think. The man who gave it to me said that his grandad brought it with him when the immigrated for England. The second is a nice rr anvil that someone put some serious time into I think. Need to put it on a better stand

IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0523.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

On 26.9.2016 at 3:18 PM, loneronin said:

may I weld a hardened C45 plate on it? or what can you suggest me to have a hard face to hammer on???

Sounds like your anvil might be made of high chromium content steel. Which is not hardenable. Welding on a already hardened plate may destroy the hardening of the plate. Welding such steel is difficult as well. If you dare to weld a plate of C45 on it, you maybe want to harden it afterwards. Another way could be to use welding electrodes for hardfacing. I've done this on my old anvil a few year ago. Really good results but requires good welding skills. 

6 hours ago, c.baum said:

Sounds like your anvil might be made of high chromium content steel. Which is not hardenable. Welding on a already hardened plate may destroy the hardening of the plate. Welding such steel is difficult as well. If you dare to weld a plate of C45 on it, you maybe want to harden it afterwards. Another way could be to use welding electrodes for hardfacing. I've done this on my old anvil a few year ago. Really good results but requires good welding skills. 

The hard facing welding rod is the best suggestion..

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:18 AM, loneronin said:

this is my anvil on the new cherry chunk. it is stainless steel (maybe AISI 316 as it was a buoy weight) not hardened. it is shiny but not so hard as you can see in the second pic. may I weld a hardened C45 plate on it? or what can you suggest me to have a hard face to hammer on???

24092016552.jpg

18092016539.jpg

Stainless is very soft.. 304,308,316,409  all soft... It can be hard faced..  It also does have a tendency to work harden some..

Living on the Mexican border here we run into a lot of Americans who don't seem to realize that Colonial does not equal English Colonial and that the Spanish, Dutch, French and Russians had colonies in what is now the USA too.

If you want we can say it would be more typical of an english colonial anvil and less typical of a central european anvil?  

Such location information can help narrow down possibilities though there are always outliers: for example Pitcairn Island had an "english colonial anvil" on it located at Bang Iron Valley and much farther away from England than Bermuda is from Russia I believe.   I don't know if the English admiralty has the details on where that anvil was purchased---but it might! 

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

We should ask Frosty about Russian anvils up in Alaska.

I'm embarrassed to admit that never occurred to me. The Russian colonial period here was largely driven by: fishing, trapping, logging and mining, there's a lot of Russian gear around including I'll bet, smithies. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'm embarrassed to admit that never occurred to me. The Russian colonial period here was largely driven by: fishing, trapping, logging and mining, there's a lot of Russian gear around including I'll bet, smithies. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Innokenty Veniaminov, the first Russian Orthodox bishop of Alaska, was a polymath craftsman; I'd be very surprised if he hadn't tried his hand at the forge. 

Here are some pictures of my new anvil. Another S&H, dated 1920 and weight of 276kg (=608lbs).

Above the S&H round stamp, there are the words 'GEBROEDERS POLAK'. That's dutch for 'Brothers Polak'. After some research, I found out there were Jewish merchants who had a tools and hardware shop in Vlissingen (the Netherlands) from 1879 untill 1942. It's nice to know a little history about the anvil.

SAM_5635.JPG

SAM_5636.JPG

SAM_5644.JPG