I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

New to me Peter Wright, 1- X -8 (center weight stamp obscured, weighs in on my scale at 199.5 pounds). Rings like a bell and has great rebound. No "ENGLAND" stamp that I can find. Has some nicks and scrapes but nothing I will even notice.4c6b248a-88e7-42e8-bdbd-1f81e8c07bb4.jpg

21 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

The numbers say “1  1  7” 147 lbs…  it appears larger than that !

Seems to be taller than my 162lb PW.

Just curious, what are the measurements ?

Face is 14" x4" with the horn it's 23" long 

21 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

The numbers say “1  1  7” 147 lbs…  it appears larger than that !

Seems to be taller than my 162lb PW.

Just curious, what are the measurements ?

Face is 14" x4" with the horn it's 23" long 

Here is my HB 368 on the new fabricated 250lbs stand I put together.. It has accessory shoes built in and can accommodated up to 3.5" or height adjustment. With close up of the retention setup..  With the anvil strapped down there is nearly no ring.. The stand is designed to also be bolted down to the floor or have weight added inside..

20160421_151051.jpg

20160421_151058.jpg

Here is my HB 175 mounted in the Demo trailer on a stand that originally held a Trenton (german) 155lbs.. Stand maybe weighs 20lbs as I was trying to keep it super light.. Also made it 20 years ago.. Time flys.  3/4 galv water pipe.. I'm surprised it still going strong since it doesn't have any diagonal supports..

20160412_094353.jpg

200 Columbian on stand for dirt work.. Was designed for the Trenton 155 as well but repurposed to keep the Columbian off the ground.

20160412_094302.jpg

Fisher Eagle 150 in just about brand new condition.. Original paint on top of the Columbian 200lbs

20160424_165654.jpg

204 HB, Trenton 209 on top of a Henry Wright 330lbs

20160403_114010.jpg

20160428_191826.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 150 lb Hay Budden on a metal stand. Serial number puts it around 1910 if my research is correct. What I've read says the later model HB anvils made after like 1908-09ish had one piece tool steel tops. Please correct me if this is wrong. 

Been spring cleaning, pulled it off the stand and cleaned it up, put a new coat of clear lacquer on the sides to keep the rust away. I made some simple toe clamps to hold it down to the base. It has a great ring and prolly 80% rebound at a guess. I think it's had a couple minor repairs made to the edges of the face, but if they actually are welds, they look good and there's no cracking around the areas. I've done nothing to it besides hit it with a wire wheel and put clear lacquer on it periodically.

It came out of a machine shop in Grand Rapids that closed its doors after like three generations of men ran it. Got $350 in it IIRC. Had it about 12 or so years. Don't need anything bigger, nor do I have the room. I consider myself lucky to have gotten one of these in good shape without it costing a fortune.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You are correct.. It is a 2 piece anvil.. And it is also what I call a high top..  The ones I have seen starting with A in the serial number actually have a shorter table to top height..

Looks like a few places were fixed..   Not a biggy..

The 2 piece HB's with high top are my favorites..  the HB204 above you can see is a low top 2 piece and even the horn has a slightly different shape/profile..

44 minutes ago, allessence said:

You are correct.. It is a 2 piece anvil.. And it is also what I call a high top..  The ones I have seen starting with A in the serial number actually have a shorter table to top height..

Looks like a few places were fixed..   Not a biggy..

The 2 piece HB's with high top are my favorites..  the HB204 above you can see is a low top 2 piece and even the horn has a slightly different shape/profile..

That's good to know. I found the info on an ABANA forum page and the guy with the info sounded quite knowledgable. He was using AIA as a reference. I plan to buy one for myself at some point, it's quite a nice book from what I've read about it. I have seen one of the older HB anvils with the tool steel top plate at a shop I've done some work at. The top is heavily damaged and delaminated, but I told the owners if they ever decided to part with it to let me know. It'll have a nice home here, even if it didn't get used much B)

I imagine this anvil will suit me just fine for likely the rest of my days. The majority of forging work I do is on sheet metal, and I actually use a low steel top work table to do a lot of it.

Of course, if a screaming good deal on another anvil happens to come along, all bets are off :D

Many thanks for the info.

9 hours ago, 7A749 said:

I have a 150 lb Hay Budden on a metal stand. Serial number puts it around 1910 if my research is correct. What I've read says the later model HB anvils made after like 1908-09ish had one piece tool steel tops. Please correct me if this is wrong. 

Been spring cleaning, pulled it off the stand and cleaned it up, put a new coat of clear lacquer on the sides to keep the rust away. I made some simple toe clamps to hold it down to the base. It has a great ring and prolly 80% rebound at a guess. I think it's had a couple minor repairs made to the edges of the face, but if they actually are welds, they look good and there's no cracking around the areas. I've done nothing to it besides hit it with a wire wheel and put clear lacquer on it periodically.

It came out of a machine shop in Grand Rapids that closed its doors after like three generations of men ran it. Got $350 in it IIRC. Had it about 12 or so years. Don't need anything bigger, nor do I have the room. I consider myself lucky to have gotten one of these in good shape without it costing a fortune.

Steve, you got a very good deal on that HB.  Looks to be in fine shape.  I use one similar, a 170# HB and love forging on it.  Just the right size.

Thanks Tom. I actually got it on eBay. One of those online consignment shops was selling it for the place that had it. I was sort of surprised I won it. I only bid because it was about an hour away. I figured for sure someone was gonna outbid me. I had been looking for awhile and didn't know a whole lot about anvils when I got it. I researched it enough to know what it was and that it was a "good" brand of anvil.

Right before I bought it, I went out to a resale dudes farm in Leslie, and he had a very large (like 400 lbs) cast anvil for $600. I should have bought it, but didn't really need one that big and I wanted a wrought one. I do have a baby cast anvil that I mounted on a trailer hitch type base. It's handy for small stuff.

It's a cute little thing :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like the top half of an anvil; as they were often made with a top half welded to a bottom half (older ones were forge welded, newer ones were arc welded in some brands)

Sometimes the weld failed; I have the base of a Peter Wright that according to the weight stamps was once a complete anvil.  Now if there is no stamping on the sides it could be a top that snuck out of a factory before the anvil was completed.  Living 15 years in a town that once had *2* anvil manufacturers in it I've seen a couple of such things before.

Try the ball bearing test to see if the top was hardened.

Hi I'm new to the forum. A I thought I would post up some pictures of my new (for me) anvil. It's a Peter wright 100lb ish from between 1852-1860 rings likes bell and only cost £160.

IMG_20160524_163506.thumb.jpg.112d562579IMG_20160526_182628.thumb.jpg.6ba3007973

picked up a few things....guy selling from a estate out here....anyone know about sodefors anvils? Says sweden and 297...

Got a hernia lifting in my blazer....but I cheated...to get it in...got some tools with it....was told there is a few truck loads of stuff still out there....still waiting on the call for more...

Im in california so no super steals....

So after all the willing and dealing paid a few hundred for everything...was surprised at the condition....pretty good.

thumbnail_20160605_175455.jpg

thumbnail_20160605_175109.jpg

thumbnail_20160605_175223.jpg

thumbnail_20160605_175226.jpg