I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Just finished making this today. The stand is 4 - 4x6 cut at 35". The "anvil" is a railroad tie plate. 1"thick. I can start making harty tools with rr spikes as bases as they fit perfectly for obvious reasons. This should be more than enough for me at my skill level.  20160421_111927_zpsxmavsq5h.jpg

9 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Duckwalk, I would strongly recommend unspiking that plate from the base and turning it edge-up. You want as much mass as possible under the hammer blow.

I appriciate the advice. The whole thing weighs about 90+lbs. If it does not suffice for what im doing, i will absolutly try turning it up. I also have some rr iron that i use on its end.

Weight isn't the only factor it's rigidity. You might not see it but striking a plate flat on like that will flex it like a drum head and absorb a majority of force i your blow while not providing the resistance to move the steel efficiently.

You built an excellent stand but nothing will make a track plate a decent anvil for more than straightening nails and other light work.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

How sturdy is it? If you do make hardie tools for it i'd wonder about pounding on the edge. Give it a shot and let us know how it worked. It's already built. If it didn't work out you can always repurpose it. 

Might add some support for the hardie side.

41 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

How sturdy is it? If you do make hardie tools for it i'd wonder about pounding on the edge. Give it a shot and let us know how it worked. It's already built. If it didn't work out you can always repurpose it. 

They are extremly sturdy, I used one as an anvil for a while. They would bend in half before snapping. Not sure what the # of the steel is.

Anyone know what it is exactly?

-EJ

5 minutes ago, EJRailRoadTrack said:

They are extremly sturdy, I used one as an anvil for a while. They would bend in half before snapping. Not sure what the # of the steel is.

Anyone know what it is exactly?

-EJ

According to BP0002 - Junk Yard and Rail Road Steels, a mass-spectrometer-owning friend of an IFI member tested a tie plate at C:0.19 | Mn:0.42 | P:0.005 | S:0.030 | Si::0.04 | Cu:0.24 | Cr:0.05 | Mo:0.009 | Ni:0.07 | Sn:0.011 | V: - | Nb: -

According to BP0011 Common Railroad Steels, Grade 1 tie plates are 0.15% carbon, while Grade 2 plates are 0.35-0.85% carbon.

C'mon Thomas, get yer terminology correct. Spaghetti noodles are air hardened, then tempered in boiling water to the desired hardness  - al dente is the most commonly used temper. Spaghetti is also normally used with some sort of surface treatment after tempering , as using it straight out of the tempering bath is not that desired.

I new to "I Forge Iron", this is my first post.  I would appreciate any info or tips on where to look for info.  Went to the Mountain Mushroom Festival in Irvine Kentucky and the

Hillbilly Flywheelers Antique Gas Engine & Tractor Show

picked up my first anvil.  The paper tag said Armitage Mouse Hole, I do not see Armitage on the anvil review list.  The word ARM is clear but what follows is unreadable.  It is 20" long and has 0-3-21 stamped in it, so it is 105 pounds if I figured it right.  Thanks in advance for any input.  I am quickly falling in love with it, sounds stupid but I have a reverence for old tools.   Regards, Lester

DSCN5230.JPG

DSCN5238.JPG

Welcome aboard LWB (How are we supposed to pronounce a web handle like that I ask you?:)) glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Mouse Hole anvils are well known and sought after. Good anvil, nice score.

Frosty The Lucky.

36 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard LWB (How are we supposed to pronounce a web handle like that I ask you?:))

I don't know about your side of the pond but that's the abbreviation for "long wheel base" in the Uk!

Beautiful anvil by the way, it has so much character to it!