I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Forging Carver said:

Can you get a close up so we can see the Damascus look? If you haven't etched already, you might want to consider doing so. Great job

I didn't bother etching I need to make a new batch of ferric chloride and it's such a small area that is fully welded that I don't think you would notice. The back end you can still see the individual strands I may try another completly welded and etch it.

• 3 weeks later...

Nick: If you incised little eyes in the clip in your opener it'd look like a ballerina. With a weird Tutu maybe but it'd look like it was twirling just sitting there.

Morcy: I like it lets anybody pop the cap off a bottle by hand, instant macho. I really like the magnet, one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments, a real head slapper.

Frosty The Lucky.

Neat idea with the button magnet! So the hand keeps hold of the cap - brilliant! The grooves in the handle would indicate that you used an old horse shoe as stock?? Great work, Morcy. Let's see some more of your ideas!

I am still shocked how you got all that detail! What did you use to make the finger nails?

On January 17, 2016 at 6:16 AM, ausfire said:

A couple more openers from today's efforts. I thought I would try making a leaf-handled opener. I think I left too much mass on the middle one and the leaf turned out too big in comparison to the opener. The wrapped one is more the right size.

I was doing a third one while a visitor was looking at some letter openers I had done. She said why don't you put a letter opener on the other end of a bottle opener. So I did. That's the lower one in the picture. You can have a beer while you open the mail.

leaf openers.jpg

What were these waxed with. My first thought was trewax, but the wrapped leaf one looks pretty dark. Thanks

I had a surprise Bday party befall me and this morning one friend wanted to forge so with the previous nights crazy party we decided on a dagger bottle opener. he actially pulled his weight for a first timer with a lil direction, and we came up with this opener design.057.thumb.JPG.3759a7a2f3af686a80e183d90f054.thumb.JPG.613505ecb8124efe2e6dca0246059.thumb.JPG.8c6e866a3ed21d88d343675ea6

058.JPG

055.JPG

9 minutes ago, JeepinJoe said:

Das, I do like your choice in beer and you are consistent.

:D every once in a while I get some better stuff. Need an actual reason for openers cause twist offs are too easy. Stop down some time. We can jeep around on the hill and test some bottle openers. 

• 4 weeks later...