I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ausfire said:

Great pics. 

Here's another opener. Just for fun, I tried a valve rocker from a truck engine. The starting hole was already there.

Yeah, I know ... too much time on my hands.

Love it Ausfire. That would probably sell well to a mechanic. 

Great work, Frog! How about some more details? How did you get the reticulated look? Seems you left a bit of fire 'scale' on the scales too. Looks good.

(P.S. Good to see I'm not the only one who gets spark burns - if that's what they are?)

Keep in mind I'm brand new to smithing...but here are three that I've made. They all open bottles pretty easily. I'm sorry for od angles, apparently IFI isn't very IPhone camera work friendly. Oh and they all have the same type of jaw to open the bottle, I haven't got around to making a drift big enough to make a bottle opener the more classic way.

Let me know your thoughts, and don't hold back.

Brent

IMG_5719.JPG

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG

10 hours ago, Black Frog said:

More fun experiments with snakes.... :-)

I really like that look. I'm thinking you used rebar or threaded rod as your base stock to get that look. What did you do to get the dark and silver look to it? Sand the surface lightly?

2 hours ago, Black Frog said:

Threaded rod, different sizes and different thread pitches give different looks.  The look I was going for was to mix the light/dark areas onto the texture.   Entire piece is blackened and then lightly sanded to desired light/dark areas.

I love what you achieved on this one.

9 hours ago, coldironkilz said:

Ausfire, that rocker arm looks very much like the head of a duck-bill platypus.

Yes, but maybe the eyes are a bit big! I have used the rocker arms for the heads of baby crocodiles though!

3 hours ago, coldironkilz said:

I finally made one for the house and used the spring fuller I made today to neck it down then draw a minor tapper.

100_1807.JPG

Would you say this type of opener is more difficult to forge than the normal opener with the full hole in it?

A dollar bill! I need to try that out one time when I "accidentally" forget to bring a bottle opener for my dad when we go out to eat. As far as the open loop, I would thing that what you need to do is half on half off near side of the anvil and then make the bend and lever. Then you can dress it to your liking. At least that is what it looks like in your pictures.

Belt buckles are "normal" bottle openers but John Wayning them is acceptable.

On a serious note, Anybody here know when bottle "Caps" were introduced? We might be able to  come up with a probably earliest opener if we know who and when caps were invented. I don't imagine the company that started capping bottles didn't want folk to be able to open them and made openers available.

Frosty The Lucky.