I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

Ausfire, when you make those rail spike openers, if I'm seeing this right, you flatten the end 1st, then punch and drift correct?

Yes. Flatten the end to about 3/8 thickness. I punch a round 3/8 hole (others use a slot punch) and then drift it using a long tapered drift. My son, who is a fitter for a mining company, made me a really neat cone mandril and I use that when things get a bit thin, and it gives a perfect circle. The dimple is made with a modified small ball pein hammer with a wrapped handle.

(This only works with the pan head spikes - those old wrought iron 'dog spikes' have a nice texture but I cannot get past punching the hole. Even sparky hot it still splits out.)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a can of commercial carnuba paste wax called "Trewax."

I have acquaintance who work jewelry who use carnuba beads but don't know how they'd use them as a finish on work. However, it's very brittle it's so hard and can be crushed so maybe a mortar and pestle then apply it to hot iron with a dry brush?

The can of Trewax has no other wax ingredient and I haven't read the label remains in a long LONG time so I don't know what they use to soften it other than it is volatile or it wouldn't evaporate letting the wax harden.

Frosty The Lucky.

OK, so Trewax it is. Not available in Australia so I checked out Flea Bay and managed to get a 350g can of Trewax Clear Paste Wax from the U.S. Cost @25.76 to buy and $26.46 to mail.

Yep, my father was a mech engineer and worked as a plant engineer running factories for various heavy industries, and he researched waxes because they wanted a food-safe wax to use on bone gelatine handling equipment. He told me that carnauba wax is the hardest, toughest wax known. I also use it, specifically Butcher's Bowling Alley Paste Wax. Works great.

Carnuba wax isn't food safe though, is it?

Carnuba wax isn't food safe though, is it?

Yes it is. Ever take a pill with a shiny coating? That's carnuba in a pretty natural state. It's even "hypoallergenic" though don't quote me on that it's according to articles I read a while back and may have been marketing hype I didn't look farther.

Frosty The Lucky.

Carnuba is a specific kind of wax. In its natural state, it's REALLY hard; hence, for most applications, it's mixed with some kind of solvent to make it more pliable while it's being applied. Once the solvent evaporates, the wax remains.

Paste waxes are mixtures of wax (usually some combination of carnuba and beeswax, sometimes synthetic waxes) and solvent (usually mineral spirits). Butcher's Wax is one name brand; Trewax is another. Minwax makes some good versions. Both carnuba and beeswax are food safe; the solvent isn't, but evaporates out.

One little detail: most "clear" paste waxes are actually white or slightly pinkish. Not really a problem, unless you get some little flecks in the corners where it's hard to rub out. This is why I'd recommend the Dark Brown version of the Minwax Paste Finishing Wax; any excess won't stand out against the metal. (We used tons of the stuff on furniture in every wood shop I've ever worked in, as well as on metalwork in the art restoration studio.)

With all of these, you wipe on as thin a coat as you can, let dry for a minute (fill the time with patter, if you're selling straight from the forge), then buff with a soft cloth (old t-shirt, for example). The second buffing smooths out the surface of the wax and brings up the shine.

ADDENDUM: Beeswax is a lot softer than carnuba, so it's not quite as durable and doesn't have quite as hard a shine. However, it's much less expensive, so that's why it gets blended with carnuba in some of the less pricey paste waxes.

Edited by JHCC

I think very course twists like that work well on rail spike openers. Some early ones I made I had the spike at yellow heat and the twist is more like a screw thread. Much more elegant to make a 'cool' twist at red heat.

I'm not sure I understand how your bottle opener actually works. Perhaps I'm missing something in the photo. You tested it of course?

Actually I think it was quite clever. If they folder the edges in to avoid a sharp edge against the wire as it comes into the can, I don't really see that it's any worse than a standard metal box. The wires are nailed right outside to prevent chafing. I've seen plenty of guys just punch out the knock outs and run wires into 4" boxes with no romex connector or clamp and no staples. This actually looks like it might be a safer connection than those.

The old "get it done with what you have" farm mentality from way back when can come up with all sorts of interesting solutions. Shame today we can't continue with that mentality due to liability.

You did well to knock the raised ribs off the rebar! 

I don't know what they put in rebar but I find it hard to forge. A forged rebar snake takes me twice as long as a threaded rod snake. (Trouble is, most threaded rod scrap is galvanised.)

Here's my latest....sort of.  Was working on a bottle opener on Friday and it suddenly got away from me, flipped out of the tongs, off the horn and landed on my forearm!   Took this shot before I started treating it, for some reason the burn looks like the hole is really off center, not sure why because it wasn't, maybe the left side just had more heat when it landed?   Anyway, 3 days of bacitracin and keeping it covered and it's doing quite well.  Some day if I'm ever teaching someone how to make a bottle opener I will be able to say, "Well, at this point in your progress it should look like THIS" and raise my arm.  

No worries, it looks worse in this photo than it actually is, the red has reduced to just a thin, rather perfect outline of the top of a bottle opener.  

Doesn't take much, does it?  A tiny combination of force and heat and something slips away and this is what you get.  

IMG_0824.JPG

Edited by SpankySmith

Been very busy doing all kinds of projects, but was pulled back into bottle opener land and commissioned to do a fancy opener for another hockey fan.  

Polished the leaf area like a mirror, that's the sky showing through the trees in the reflection...  :-)  Don't ask me why the crazy Canadians spell leaves as "LEAFS", but they do.

tmlopener.jpg

Edited by Black Frog

No. Even the dark brown paste waxes won't impart much color if they're rubbed out properly.

If you're looking for a wax finish that will give some color to the steel, think black shoe polish. Remember, the color will be a microscopically thin film over the surface, not a change in the color of the metal itself.

Here's my latest....sort of.  Was working on a bottle opener on Friday and it suddenly got away from me, flipped out of the tongs, off the horn and landed on my forearm!   Took this shot before I started treating it, for some reason the burn looks like the hole is really off center, not sure why because it wasn't, maybe the left side just had more heat when it landed?   Anyway, 3 days of bacitracin and keeping it covered and it's doing quite well.  Some day if I'm ever teaching someone how to make a bottle opener I will be able to say, "Well, at this point in your progress it should look like THIS" and raise my arm.  

No worries, it looks worse in this photo than it actually is, the red has reduced to just a thin, rather perfect outline of the top of a bottle opener.  

Doesn't take much, does it?  A tiny combination of force and heat and something slips away and this is what you get.  

The burn looks off center because the opener didn't land straight down, it hit and slid a little before laying flat. It wasn't the result of you jerking your arm or the pattern would be a little different, more smudged and the tendency is to jerk straight away from HOT.

Keep aloe vera jell in the shop or for serious burns Silvadine ointment.

You really don't have to ask me how I know these things do you?

Carnuba just makes the work look wet and a little shiny it's famous for not yellowing or darkening with age.

Frosty The Lucky.

BF, that Toronto bottle opener is magnificent. I admire your skill in getting the opener end so perfectly smooth and symmetrical.

I believe, on the basis of this and his previous masterpieces, we should declare Black Frog the Guru of Bottle Openers. :D