I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that this post was an inspiration to make openers.  I am pretty new at this, and these are bottle openers numbers More playing with making bottle openers. 2-7, so they are not as polished or nice as the ones here, but I am learning.  I am getting faster at forming the eye, and am quickly learning the order of doing things in making one of these.

I still have more tooling to make, and I might get faster still.

All advice, ideas and criticisms welcome.

1/2 inch square bar, cut and twisted the end.

post-7911-0-31787500-1420647621_thumb.jp

5/8 square, pretty heavy, just a twist.

post-7911-0-08066700-1420647640_thumb.jp

crappy 3/4 combo wrench, bent

post-7911-0-19251600-1420647658_thumb.jp

The beast. almost 9 inches long of twisted 5/8, and I wanted to try a fish tail on the end too, so there it is.

post-7911-0-36179400-1420647677_thumb.jp

This one has some misshapen dice on the end.  I think I cut the grooves a little too much, but it works for now.

post-7911-0-48491400-1420647695_thumb.jp

Thanks to all for the advice given on my previous bottle opener post

You guys inspired me on this bottle opener thing. Here are some of my attempts. I'm particularly happy with the horse head/horse shoe and alligator openers. The horse head is pretty much standard except for the opener end. Seems like most folks have the opener on the other axis - this way the curve fits nicely in your hand. The alligator is my own design which makes it fun. The alligator with the big nose was my first attempt. They got better after that!

Anyway, thanks for all the inspiration.  

post-27880-0-81810300-1420749020_thumb.j

post-27880-0-14519400-1420749105_thumb.j

post-27880-0-61077000-1420749161_thumb.j

Very clever, Chris. 20mm flat bar (3mm?) doesn't seem like much substance to drift into a bottle opener size. Can I ask how you started the hole? I imagine a long slot punch to make use of the limited material available.
And what a great design. I think you could do a leg button hook handle like the one on my post about button hooks. Nice work, mate.
(And where in Australia are you?)

Very clever, Chris. 20mm flat bar (3mm?) doesn't seem like much substance to drift into a bottle opener size. Can I ask how you started the hole? I imagine a long slot punch to make use of the limited material available.
And what a great design. I think you could do a leg button hook handle like the one on my post about button hooks. Nice work, mate.
(And where in Australia are you?)

Hi ausfire your right  just slit and open and work over horn plenty material there .glad you like thanks . vic mate.

Chris

rwolfe, those horseshoe openers are kool!!  I have a few friends who ride and they would love to pack one of those on the trail with them  ;)

Might have to borrow your idea and make some up.  Hope they come out looking as good as yours!

• 4 weeks later...

Simple quick and dirty Tyrannosaurus Wrench bottle openers for my mechanic and "Sue" the wrench that fits the propane fitting for my most used gas forge (and the first and still the best one I've made)

Note NO PLATED WRENCHES were used or will be allowed in *my* forge!

Sorry folks the basic uploader seems to be out of whonk and not even an error code Hmm when I selected the file for both the attach files it actually took one...

post-168-7075_thumb.jpg

The first few I made had a double X I imprinted with a mining bit, then found using a chisel gave me better control. Chisel and bull pin were my tools for all marking. Might have to toss one of these in for iron in the hat next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Scotty, how do you get the "drill bit" twist like in the top photo?

Those are really nice looking openers.

That is the look you get when twisting flat bar.  These are actually forged out of 1" x 3/16" flat bar.  After the loop is forged, the rest of the stock is forged down from 1" to about 3/8" width and back to the original 3/16" thickness.  This takes a loonnnngggg time to do by hand.  Then, the twist is done and what you see is what you end up with after twisting.  That last one has some decorative filing/grinding done on the edges before the twist is done.  I always forge and twist more material than I want to end up with, then cut the excess off.