I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though it says pastewax, Trewax is pretty hard in the can, that's why I use the cloth I use to wipe the excess to apply it too. I keep them in the can and they are pretty waxy.

I just give the block in the can a hard rub with the cloth and apply it to the warm steel. I like the results when the steel is about fresh cup of coffee/tea hot, say in the 160f range. I use a different rag to wipe the excess while it's still pretty warm. After a while the buff rag ends up the applicator rag.

You can turn the applicator back into the buff just by using it often without rubbing the wax block.

Yeah, I know that's a lot of technique for waxing hot iron but it's not like shoe polish, it takes a few tricks but it's worth it.

And yeah, black shoe polish makes a decent finish on iron you can buff nice highlights on textures and it's reasonably durable once dry.

Frosty The Lucky.

how do you know when the steel is around 160f?

thanks

Even though it says pastewax, Trewax is pretty hard in the can, that's why I use the cloth I use to wipe the excess to apply it too. I keep them in the can and they are pretty waxy.

I just give the block in the can a hard rub with the cloth and apply it to the warm steel. I like the results when the steel is about fresh cup of coffee/tea hot, say in the 160f range. I use a different rag to wipe the excess while it's still pretty warm. After a while the buff rag ends up the applicator rag.

You can turn the applicator back into the buff just by using it often without rubbing the wax block.

Yeah, I know that's a lot of technique for waxing hot iron but it's not like shoe polish, it takes a few tricks but it's worth it.

And yeah, black shoe polish makes a decent finish on iron you can buff nice highlights on textures and it's reasonably durable once dry.

Frosty The Lucky.

do you keep the application rag under or above the sponge that comes with it?

It feels like a fresh cup of hot coffee, cant hold it bare handed for more than a second. It's a rule of thumb that lets me estimate the right temp with reasonable accuracy.

I haven't seen an applicator sponge in my can of Trewax in so long I don't know if it had one. If it's a rubber sponge rubbing it on hot steel might be B-A-D for it.

Frosty The Lucky.

My trewax came with a soft foam sponge. I am not sure if it is to absorb moisture or not? I used it on my first leaf, not sure if it looks like your wax. My mom loves it by the way, so I gave it to her and she has hanging on the old flintlock on our fireplace. Not to change the subject but I heard that Alaska is very nice. I have always been interested in Alaska because I love fishing, kayaking, and the outdoors. I heard there are lots of bears, and bears are my favorite! I hope to visit eventually when I am 18 and if I do go I will tell you and maybe I can learn a bit from you. Do the guys try to preserve the land up there and stop too much building on the land?

Thanks

image.jpeg

I usually try to wipe more wax off but when I do leave a heavier finish it looks pretty much just like that.

Look me up if you visit, I'll help you how I can.

I'm not going to get into how badly the "conserve other people's property" factions have our state locked up on this forum.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Oooo! Now I need to make up a multi faceted drift like that. I wonder if I can find a splined shaft with a  3/4" to 1" diameter. I wonder if I can get away trying to drive a hot drift thru a box end wrench to form a splined drift.

Edited by DSW

Daswulf, that's my question too. I reckon those bands are too regular to be chiselled in. I think Frog has used about a 5/8 full thread bolt (or a piece of threaded rod) to get that effect. A cool opener. B)

Hmm I've seen some little dragon head bottle openers where the top has two teeth chiseled in so they leave a "bite" on the bottle cap---the lower jaw is the cap lifter; pretty fine work on 1/4" sq stock...

that sounds so cool! If you can find a picture, I would love to see one. It seems that bottle openers can make a decent profit especially for someone like me who is only 13 and has no job.

Edited by Forging Carver