I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I'm starting to get better at punching holes. And I read about counter sinking holes on here and had a "duh" moment. :)  

Frosty, I'm using a mix of beeswax, linseed oil, and turpentine. Applying it while it's about too hot to hold without a glove then wipe the excess off. Usually let things cool down to wire wheel them first then warm them back up on the dying fire when I'm done forging. 

You can mail your openers to me for proofing :)  

Jim, yeah, I have to thin the front lip and fold it around a bit for it to bite the cap. It's too thick to get away with not thinning it out. I'm still trying to find an easier way to do that more cleanly.  So far I'm going between the post vice and that little rail anvil. 

really nice idea that I might steal and make for my dad, as long as you don't mind. Seems like a simple forging process, although getting the head at the correct angle seems a bit difficult.

wasn't my idea to begin with but I liked it as well.  Go for it.

Jim, yeah, I have to thin the front lip and fold it around a bit for it to bite the cap. It's too thick to get away with not thinning it out. I'm still trying to find an easier way to do that more cleanly.  So far I'm going between the post vice and that little rail anvil. 

Das,

To maybe give you an idea for thinning the lip, take a look at Gary Huston's youtube video on making a clipping hammer.  He shows how a farrier puts a clip on the edge of a horseshoe, hammering and thinning on the anvil edge.  Not exactly what you are doing, but maybe the technique will help.

Arkie that was an interesting watch. all info helps at this point tho it is a bit of a different concept for what i'm doing. but Thanks again and it's more knowledge for me that i didnt know. i got the other two openers folded down a bit more and they are working perfectly. honestly it's just a matter of the shape of the front under part of the rr spike head. i'd like to squish it with minimal damage to the top face. Tho making a hammer like Gary did is now in my head to try to fit to the job. :) 

Arkie that was an interesting watch. all info helps at this point tho it is a bit of a different concept for what i'm doing. but Thanks again and it's more knowledge for me that i didnt know. i got the other two openers folded down a bit more and they are working perfectly. honestly it's just a matter of the shape of the front under part of the rr spike head. i'd like to squish it with minimal damage to the top face. Tho making a hammer like Gary did is now in my head to try to fit to the job. :) 

this a good begginer project? And do you think I can get away with using vise grips or a pair of flat jaws?

this a good begginer project? And do you think I can get away with using vise grips or a pair of flat jaws?

Might be a little tough holding the spike with flat jaws. I have bolt tongs and even them being round give me a little slippage but I've used them with a bunch of spikes so far. Can you hold a spike to work it with what you have? 

I also used a hold down to hold the spike for initial punching of the holes. The holes could be drilled tho.  

If you think you can hold the spike with what you have to work with then give it a try. If not make a pair of tongs to hold a spike :) 

If you can weld, you can always weld on a handle and cut it off later if need be.

Someone here a while back also posted up a pair of old slip joint pliers that had the handles lengthened by welding on some rod to use as tongs. They would have a larger opening than Visegrips might.

If you can weld, you can always weld on a handle and cut it off later if need be.

Someone here a while back also posted up a pair of old slip joint pliers that had the handles lengthened by welding on some rod to use as tongs. They would have a larger opening than Visegrips might.

Here they are in all their glory!!! UGGHHH...but any port in a storm.

Pliers tongs 01.JPG

There are a number of methods. You can chase it into relatively thick steel, say 1/4". You can repoussee and chase it in thinner stock, say 16ga. You can etch or engrave it. Those are just off the top techniques, there are a lot.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do they use any small tools you can work into an opener? Or maybe a shield from a helmet can be attached to a piece of iron for a wall mounted opener.

A miniature Halligan bar with a built-in bottle opener would be cool.

Edited by JHCC

Looking at the shield I could see doing that with 3 punches. One for the 4 pieces of the outer design, One for the "ring" in the center and a "3" punch from some number set. The 3 would probably set the size of the design.

With a bit of work you could probably forge a small fire hydrant out of round stock and then do the opener at the other end.

A miniature Halligan bar with a built-in bottle opener would be cool.

I was thinking about getting a full sized halligan bar and making the poker end into a bottle opener but I am not sure where to get a used one since they last forever.

Edited by Forging Carver

Look at garage, yard, etc. sales and don't forget to ask the guys at the firehouse if they know where to find an old one. A miniature halligan across a nice station shield would have the guys lining up with orders in short time.

A little spacing and a miniature ladder will open beers nicely. I like the fire plug idea too but shouldn't that be a tap on top of a keg?

Okay, a miniature ladder truck extended to pop beers and a water cannon for mixers.

I'm thinking a fire fighter's bar aren't I? Oh why not the, Fire Plug Pub? B)

Frosty The Lucky.

Been doing a lot or ram's head openers. I used to bend the whole head around to face the opener end (like the one on the right) but I've done the last lot with the head looking away. Seems to fit the hand better that way and it's quicker.

I use a 400 mm length of 12 mm and forge a head on both ends, then chop it in half to make two openers. It saves using tongs to make the heads.

rams.jpg

Rams...hmm, gets me thinking of the potential for football mascot-themed bottle openers: Rams, Broncos (horseheads), Eagles, etc.

Of course, my local team is the Browns. Anyone making a bottle opener shaped like a pile of dung?

Edited by JHCC