I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

Raw wool is straight off the sheep before washing. Deb's a spinner and we used to keep a couple fiber sheep. She wanted a doffer and we quickly discovered wax finishes weren't the thing to use on tools used on wool. So I gave raw wool a try and it worked nicely without staining the wool when removing it from a drum carder.

Lanolin shouldn't be hard to find, it's almost impossible to beat as a hand lotion and is still used as a base in many brands.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'll have to try and remember that next year at the Grange Fair. Sheep club shares the barn with the pig club and they have a lot of loose wool laying around from when they shear the sheep before judging. Most just gets trashed, so I'm sure I can get some if I ask and see what it does on raw steel.

Wall mounted holder I finished last week.

DSCN5084.thumb.JPG.11969580c4b0f29b9dc53

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok thanks guys

I use paraffin wax as it's not sticky like bee's wax.  Rub a chunk over it just below smoking temp and wipe down excess with a terrycloth towel and let cool.

I am making a post on wax reviews, and I just bought 1 pound of paraffin wax on Amazon, but it came with 3, 1 pound boxes. So I was thinking of selling/ trading the other 2 boxes for a wax I don't have like bowling alley wax and gliders wax. I'm not sure if you are interested or not, 1 box is 1 pound and has 4 bars of wax in it. I'll trade both boxes with you if you have any of those waxes I mentioned before. If not then maybe I can save them for if I do demos or need a quick fix if I like them. also you don't melt it when using it correct, just rub it in on the wipe off the excess?

Thanks

Forging Carver- That's a great idea, making a list of finishing methods (and hopefully pics of the results!)
I always thought that would be a good reference thread, but never had the time to compile it! (There are a LOT of different recipes and methods out there!)

Can't wait to see it!

Ok thanks guys

I am making a post on wax reviews, and I just bought 1 pound of paraffin wax on Amazon, but it came with 3, 1 pound boxes. So I was thinking of selling/ trading the other 2 boxes for a wax I don't have like bowling alley wax and gliders wax. I'm not sure if you are interested or not, 1 box is 1 pound and has 4 bars of wax in it. I'll trade both boxes with you if you have any of those waxes I mentioned before. If not then maybe I can save them for if I do demos or need a quick fix if I like them. also you don't melt it when using it correct, just rub it in on the wipe off the excess?

Thanks

In the future, just go down to your local supermarket.  They still sell paraffin.  It is used as a traditional seal for jam and jelly jars.

Well, here's my very first bottle opener. It's made from the center shaft of a collapsible steering column (hence the universal joint at the end), and I'm going to give it to my mechanic as a Thank You for letting me pick through his scrap bin.

The shaft has an interesting cross section, with rounded edges and a groove running up each side. Looks nice twisted -- especially considering that I don't have a vise!

IMG_20150918_201706719.jpg

Your mechanic will like that.  Of course, with bottle openers, you are required to test drive them on a product before selling or giving away!! ;)

Oh, that's been taken care of. Trust me.

Oh, and I finished it with Minwax brown paste wax. 

Edited by JHCC

Your mechanic will like that.  Of course, with bottle openers, you are required to test drive them on a product before selling or giving away!! ;)

Addendum: my mechanic was thrilled to pieces. And has invited me to come pick over the scrap bin any time.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i saw this on google images and my friend liked it enough to want one so i tried to make 4 but made 3. not my design but i don't know who to credit so i'll just post it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

cheers :)

Edited by Daswulf

They look pretty nice. Potential buyers like being able to see transition forged into recognizable items. It's one reason RR spikes make such popular products. How do they work? I see a lot of intensive testing there.

Frosty The Lucky.

They look pretty nice. Potential buyers like being able to see transition forged into recognizable items. It's one reason RR spikes make such popular products. How do they work? I see a lot of intensive testing there.

Frosty The Lucky.

one works great. Other two need a light tweak to bite the lid a hair better but overall whoevers design it is it works. Had a happy customer today when he got it. 

Nice job. I've seen that design before, but I haven't gotten a chance to try one. I think they might be good sellers and easy to make. I like the fact you counter sunk the screw holes. Small things like that can make a difference.

Bottle openers often need some tweaking to get right, I don't drink enough beer to test more than 4 a week.

Nice job on the spike wall mount openers too. Counter sinking mount holes makes for a nice clean pro design. It's almost as important as making sure there aren't any burs or sharp edges where they can snag clothing or flesh.

What are you finishing with?

Frosty The Lucky.