I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A collection of large hex head nuts can help punch and drift on a flat surface as can putting the drift "head" on the anvil face and pushing the work piece down on it---again a hex nut dropped over the drift can help.

Of course making a bickern is a nice thing to do if you will be needing one a lot.  A bolster plate with ascending sized holes helps too.

That's it. I keep on accumulating improvised tools and things. But at the moment, though the traditional ring style bottle opener is quite doable, it would just be a very inefficient design for me to make. So on bottle openers, instead of being inventive on the tool side of things, i've decided to be inventive on the product side to get around the challenges.

• 1 year later...

My handy bottle opener :D made from a valve lifter rod off an old steel wheel IH tractor. The fingers kept bending after about a six pack so I heated and quenched in water then tempered to a straw color and no more bending.

KIMG0704.JPG

KIMG0703.JPG

KIMG0702.JPG

Thanks for the compliments, as a cowboy horseshoer (not a farrier mind you) I'm really enjoying using the forge for something a little less like work. Nothing like going from shoeing a draft team to making a bottle opener. 

I had a friend say it was a backscratcher for a leprechaun. As someone who grew up near the Pryor mtns and the Apsáalooke (Crow) reservation  I thought it would be a good offering for the 'little people."

I've been smithing for 4 or 5 years now, but I've never been able to spend a lot of time smithing consistently, days in a row, so today I finally forged my FIRST EVER bottle opener!!

I was able to really enjoy it as a first experience because I have more knowledge of the basics now so even though it was my first opener, it wasn't my first slit and drift, or my first use of a ball punch, or my first forged ring, so there wasn't all that extra stress.

Made from reo (rebar) that my son brought home from his apprenticeship. Might give it to his boss as a thankyou for taking him on.

20230716_112129.thumb.jpg.ea632c9c57a2abd000dfdf0f16fa63d8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Jono.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have accumulate a few hundred pounds of industrial roller chain in various sizes. The individual links make really fantastic bottle openers. It's a fast, easy project that has that cool industrial salvage factor. Pictured here are bottle openers made from Size 140 chain. I have made them from Size 140, 160, and 200.

The openers made from the Size 140 links are my favorite because they are big enough to be a statement, but small enough to carried in a pocket without discomfort. The Size 200's are pretty much wall hangers.

Size 140 Roller Chain Bottle Openers_small.jpg

The two bottle openers are made from mild steel.  The hook-shaped bottle opener was made from 3/8-inch round bar.  The “loop” shaped bottle opener was made from 1/4-inch by 1-inch flat bar.

The leaf beneath then is made from copper.