I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

On 11/4/2015, 11:11:24, beammeupscotty said:

Time to get ready for Xmas crafts fairs and when I am going to be selling at venues that I sold at last year, I like to have new stuff to offer.  I came up with this bottle opener a couple days ago, based on a twist that "someone-in-the-rye" posted on the r/blacksmith.

That is really cool! I have no idea how it's done, but it's very effective.

tapertwist.jpg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I'll take a stab. Chisel the tapers handle and then quench areas you don't want twisted. Twist heat repeat.

Yes, but you have missed the entire preparation stage.  How do you think the impression of rounded tapered cylinders in the twist are produced?  This twist is not, by the way, original in design.  As I indicated in my initial post, I saw this twist on an unrelated item made by someone else.  I did, however, very quickly figure out how it was done and replicated it in the piece shown here. A couple of day later, incorporating in to the handle of a bottle opener suddenly came to me.  I think it is going to sell very well this Xmas and has quickly become one of my favorite openers among the ones I make and sell.  

I am not playing coy with how this twist is accomplished because I am trying to be a dick.  I just thought it might be fun for some of the people newer to blacksmithing to stretch themselves a bit to try to figure it out.  

20151028_191313.jpg

39 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

To be honest I didnt even notice the edges were rounded. Now I'll have to think a little more about that. I'll wait before I say anythin because the first thing that popped in my head doesn't seem right.

After re-reading your post I have to say you are essentially there.  After forging the taper you chisel the sides down the length.  Making sure it is very straight, you then round the corners with a side grinder and flap wheel. I also hand sand the corners  to a finer grit then do the twist with a torch.  Using a torch is much easier than using a forge and quenching.  

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

I was going to guess that you forged the edges back round but grinding works too. did you grind instead of forge because it was easier for you, or was it to preserve the chiseling?  

The latter.  Forging the rounds in would tend to compress the v-grooves making the finished product less defined.  Also it is easier to get a smoother finish if you grind and sand and this makes the final product more attractive, IMO and nicer to hold in your hand.

1 hour ago, MrDarkNebulah said:

As a guy just starting out, those things are insane! They look awesome. Man I hope I can get there some day.

I've been doing it on and off for 24 years now and I am really still just a hobbyist.  A fairly competent one, but just a hobbyist.  Stick with it and you'll get there.    

Good Morning,

Forge a round taper, tap down 2 sides (makes 4 sides), Hot cut down the center of the flats. twist half turn right, then quench to end/edge of the part twisted right and twist half turn left. Continue right, left, right, left, etc

I call it a "Water Fall" Twist. It does wonders with the eye and light!!

Neil

Someone asked me about the snake opener, and it seems my picture has gone missing from that post.  That'll teach me to trust uploading pics here instead of linking...  I'll try it again.  Anyway here's the last couple completed.  The round one was a custom order for a very repeat customer....

op1.jpg         op2.jpg

On 11/5/2015, 10:33:55, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning,

Forge a round taper, tap down 2 sides (makes 4 sides), Hot cut down the center of the flats. twist half turn right, then quench to end/edge of the part twisted right and twist half turn left. Continue right, left, right, left, etc

I call it a "Water Fall" Twist. It does wonders with the eye and light!!

Neil

Is this the twist you are describing?  I had my doubts about how it would look from your description but I think it is actually pretty nice.  Thanks, I'll use it.

doubletwist1.jpg

doubletwist2.jpg

Good Morning, Scotty

Well Done. Now put that into a 'Steak Turner' or a Flux-Spoon, or whatever your little heart desires.:D:D

A good wire brushing with some cooking oil for a treatment. Maybe a light rub with a file, just to accent the high points. Doubles the price!!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...