I Forge Iron

Show me your Bottle Openers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here are my first 3 presentable attempts. They actually will open a beer. I vigorously tested all 3 .....just to be on the safe side.

I think on my next try I'm gonna try to do one like Black Frog does. I think those are awesome

photo_4_copy_3.thumb.JPG.a6e813ae197f0b6photo_1_copy_3.thumb.JPG.78dbec54078f324photo_2_copy_2.thumb.JPG.b4f4802266bddc0photo_3_copy_2.thumb.JPG.d1af56a232d369c

Edited by lawman

I've goofed up more than a few of the teeth on my bottle openers with bad hits and found a "save" by using a ball-peen hammer to enlarge the divot.  It gets rid of the mis-strikes by faceting the area.  The size of the peen determines the radius of the dimple, and a small ball peen can be use just as effectively as a larger one.  If you don't like the faceted look, use the ball-peen as a punch and give it a good whack with a piece of firewood.  I've found red oak to be a good whacker! 

I've goofed up more than a few of the teeth on my bottle openers with bad hits and found a "save" by using a ball-peen hammer to enlarge the divot.  It gets rid of the mis-strikes by faceting the area.  The size of the peen determines the radius of the dimple, and a small ball peen can be use just as effectively as a larger one.  If you don't like the faceted look, use the ball-peen as a punch and give it a good whack with a piece of firewood.  I've found red oak to be a good whacker! 

​Using a ball pein is a good idea but I'd recommend just getting one and dedicating it to making bottle opener dimples.  Anneal the face and strike it with another hammer.  Using a hunk of firewood instead of a hammer sounds like a bad idea to me.  Personally, I use a ball end punch that I made from a piece of 5/8" rebar.

Thanks those are both great ideas.  I have some coil spring that will make a very good fuller to use as a dedicated punch.  Or something like that.  Maybe a ball punch, oval punch ect.?

​If you have a bench grinder, it's very easy to grind a concentric curve/taper onto some 1/2" round stock by chucking it in a drill and spinning it against your grinder.  Round-nose punches come in real handy for a lot of things, and a few quick hits with a file will turn a round punch into an oval to make an eye punch, etc.  I lucked into some 1/2" roller bearings and have been making punches and chisels out of them b/c they don't need any heat-treat.

​If you have a bench grinder, it's very easy to grind a concentric curve/taper onto some 1/2" round stock by chucking it in a drill and spinning it against your grinder.  Round-nose punches come in real handy for a lot of things, and a few quick hits with a file will turn a round punch into an oval to make an eye punch, etc.  I lucked into some 1/2" roller bearings and have been making punches and chisels out of them b/c they don't need any heat-treat.

​Excellent ideas.  Thank you for responding.  I think the spring I have is 5/8" round.  Or close to that.  I'll see if I can get a piece straight enough to chuck in my hand drill.  I do have a belt grinder with a disk grinder on it. 

I REALLY like those short ones, idea officially STOLEN... ummm... I mean I will "borrow" it... I mean I will pay proper homage to someone else's style while appropriating some of their design considerations....     Okay... stealing it.   

Edited by SpankySmith

Cheers guys. I saw similar ones somewhere else online so go for it. They are a handy size, Trevor's one with the curvy handle is the most comfortable to use. (I test them all before they went out) 

I did a mixture of work with the longer bar and had them cut down. Working a long bar is much easier. 

All the best 

Andy

Spanky: "Mediocre artists borrow, great artists steal" PIcasso but I thing he was plagiarizing.

Those are sweet openers, worth honoring by adapting with my own unique personal interpretation of the universal HIGH art form of bottle opening. :rolleyes:

Once I get inlaying glass into the negative space of small Fredrich's crosses right I'm going to turn a couple pocket or key fob size ones into "church keys" for our recently retired Pastor and the new one. I'll post pics.

Frosty The Lucky.