I Forge Iron

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if you...

• 2 months later...

The wife says she went to the big box store looking for tomato stakes, and they were all too expensive. But the good news is that she found a whole bunch of tomato stakes that were FREE !! She had already put them in the ground where she wanted them, and needs you to tie up the tomatoes.

You go toward the garden and immediately recognize that your wife has liberated your 1/2 and 3/4 inch EMT conduit from the resource center and ALL your EMT conduit is now jammed a foot or more into the dirt, and being used as tomato stakes. She says no harm no foul, you can have them all back when the tomatoes die back in the fall.

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if your wife sees metal not as what it IS, but what it CAN be used for.

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if you...

...keep your hammers in a locked safe in your room because you are worried someone will misuse them.

...only let people within 5 feet of your room because that is where the only bathroom is (and even then stand guard outside your room).

...are not allowed to help relatives with projects because you object to the way they treat their hammers.

E. Benz

you might be addicted if your wife makes you install a doorbell in an unusual fashion, with the chime in the shop and the button on the house so she can summon you with out walking out to the shop(or more accurately having the two year old follow her to the shop).

If you think blowing out black boogers is normal.

If the scrap yard sends you Christmas cards.

You only accept a job after looking in the company's scrap bin.

You prefer to drive through alleys rather than on streets.

You use bartering more than cash.

The fire dept knows your address by heart.

You see a bonfire as a source of charcoal after the event.

You know that Champ 400 is not the name of a race.

You suggest naming your kids Beaudry, LG, Nazel, and Bradley.

you go to a scrap yard on a date

in school you spent more time day dreaming about what you could make with the scrap you found than about girls

you stopped using band-aids because it wase easier to use the iron you just heated.

compasses start pointing to your property

you skip your own birthday party in favor of a hammer-in

you were sad when santa didn't leave you coal

Borax is always at the top of your christmas list

you were sad when santa didn't leave you coal

I like this one :D

You know your addicted to blacksmithing when....

you think of throwing a hand forged tomahawks during lunch break as "Group Therapy"

You quit explaining why you seem to be able to hold on to anything hot longer than anyone and just shrug when bystanders jaws drop...

You say "no, really 137 is not enough hammers" and really mean it thinking just today I could have used a long snout leafing hammer that was a bit broader than the one but not as heavy as the other one...

You have given up and just say "yes, thats right... I shoe horses" rather than try to explain for the umteenth hundred time that your not "that kind" of blacksmith

You get real excited when there are numbers or letters written on scraps of steel you pick up ( ooooh H-13! 4340! and S-7!)

You envy people with more "tonnage" in there yard....

You know you're addicted to blacksmithing when:

You realize you just spent the last 20 minutes reading this stupid thread and thought they were describing you.

You realize most of your friends look like hippies, bikers or coal miners or hippie biker coal miners.

You actually brag about your burns.

It angers you that "blacksmithing" is always a spelling error even on blacksmithing websites.

You think "Nasal Spray" is what comes off of your air hammer.

You race to catch up to a semi because there is machinery on it.

You take great pride in your scrap pile.

You have friends named things like "Monstermetal" and "Frosty" and don't know their real names.

When you type "B" in google it automatically goes to "blacksmithing".

You watch "Robin Hood" just hoping there is a blacksmithing clip and spend the rest of the movie criticizing it.

You realize you just spent yet another 20 minutes thinking up things to add to this stupid thread!

I live in the mountains of Middle Tennessee. When the roads where made years ago they would blast off the side of mountains to make the roads. Well it would expose coal seams. I know I'm addicted to blacksmithing due to the fact I want to stop and dig coal to burn in my forge and I love to work with metal.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you know you are addicted when you travel abroad with your son, and bring back 4 times as many photos of interesting iron works than of the son you are traveling with, so to that end, here is a cool photo of what I found in Germany....nyuk nyuk!! A beautiful gate in Rudeshiem. Rhien river region!!I have sooooo many photos to share!!

post-4158-0-68432800-1303745139_thumb.jp

You know you have a problem when the sick wife makes sure you have your cell phone and house phone with built in intercom on you before you dissapear to the smithy should she need you because she knows you will forget to check to see if she is still breathing and you will be gone forever.

But, you do love the fact that she gladly sends you out there to get outta her hair.

Mark<><

...You have to make a tool, to make a tool, to make the piece the wife wants.
...You go threw the store saying things like " I could make that, and that, and that..."
...Your wife goes threw the store saying things like " You could make that, and that, and that..."
...Your wife asks for steel for Mother's day so you can make her stuff.
...Your 11 year old girl swings a sledge for you.
...Your 5 year old can swing a hammer better than most adult men
...Your wife and kids all know how to light a coal fire...

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago I was addicted to a videogame called World of Warcraft. Its a online game where you play in real time with other people over the net. Anyways. I got so into it that my family had to take a serious talk with me about it (to quit ofc.)

Now, after 5 years, I saw myself in the same situation again. But instead of getting fatter and drinking soda I have become more muscely (typo?) and getting burns.

The fun thing about this is that my family, I have my smith at home, started to have the same conversation with me about my smithing habits. This came up after I was home on vacation for a week and had litteraly been in the smith every waking hour of the day, and evening, except for dinner!

Now personally I think thats not too bad since I live far away normally and have to use the time that I have at home for smithing, you all understand right? :D.

... so You might be addicted to Blacksmithing if you... Have to have an intervention just so you take a break from that xxxx patternweld that you "just had to fold one more time!" :P

... Have to have an intervention just so you take a break from that xxxx patternweld that you "just had to fold one more time!" :P

That is not right!

You might be ... If you cooked your lunch / dinner / breakfast / midnight snack on / over your forge.

BTW coal fired nachos are really good!

When your wife replaces the question, "Honey, does this dress make me look fat?" with "Honey, I want you to make me a (fill in the blank)!"

When your wife replaces, "Time for dinner!" with "Dinner was hot two hours ago, yours is in the fridge!"

Mark<><