I Forge Iron

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if you...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

them two words should never be put in the same sentence, or page.-_-

Littleblacksmith

My wife Debi refers to all flea markets, yard sales, garage sales etc. as junk shopping. We have found some real jewels while visiting them. I once found a bucket full of tongs with some brand names and a few that needed repairs. There were 15 in all and cost me $10 so ya I love to go "junk shopping". 

• 3 weeks later...

Have only fired up your forge 5 times, but already have the itch so bad, that you cuss yourself out because you can't get a good fire going because you forgot to clean the ash out of your air inflow... then forge something waaaaay out of your ability because your wife said she needed a hook for her workshop... 

If you build a charcoal retort to fuel your forge then realize that if you could use the retort as a forge you could do metal work while simultaneously providing income to support your metal addiction. 

If you pay extra money to buy scrap/ barrels ect. Untouched! I recently found a guy that sold 55 gallon burn barrels premade 2 for $25 when i went to pick up the barrels the he had not yet worked on he charged me $25 a piece for 2. I paid it but it aggravated me. The guy in my face gouged me then told me he basically gets paid to take them.

If you just read all 7 pages of this thread and not 1 thing struck you add odd or over the top

• 3 weeks later...

Or...

If your brother sees you looking at his new springs for his truck and says "No!" because he realizes that you are thinking of all the things you could make out of them. Gotta love new springs. Not only is it easy peasy to find out the exact alloy even though most are 5160, but also that you don't have to worry at all about existing stress fractures.

Littleblacksmith

I'm a fan of grilled Mokome yummy sandwiches. Ham and cheese being a good start but certainly not a limit. Mokume Yummy doesn't require pressure to bond, I flux with and use mayo as the release agent against the grill.

Mirical Whip . . . EWWWWW! :wacko: 

Frosty The Lucky.

when your mom (or wife for most of ya'll) says she's going to the store and asks you if you want anything, you reply back with "oh, could you pick up some vegetable oil and borax?"

Or you like the smell of burning oil and grease because it reminds you of the scrap yard.

Littleblacksmith