I Forge Iron

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if you...

I once got permission from the Guard to photograph a set of hinges at Ludwig of Bavaria's castle Neuschwanstein; They didn't like photos but I explained that I was a kunstschmied and was very impressed with them and none of the postcards they sold had them on it.  Recently I was reading a BBC article online and it was the window grills *behind* the person being photographed that I was more interested in... 

I frequently will 'freeze' a movie frame to get details of a piece of ironwork in the background. Plus, I have plenty of images of door and window hardware, steps, rails, fireplaces, etc. in addition to the usual gates and grilles.

My welding students will come to me talking about the "bubble gum" welds that they now notice in public places that they have passed by hundreds of times before.

It is both a gift and a curse to be awakened to the nuances of the world. (Most of the curses come from those around you.)

I spent a summer in Germany once on a Business trip and used to seek out the "old" books on various towns trying to get pictures of how things looked pre 1900.

I also managed to find an original copy of Fritz Kühn's Geschmiedetes Eisen---cheaper than the modified reprints!  I always try to learn the basic terms for blacksmithing equipment in the language of the place I will be at.

Speaking of having our eyes drawn to the metal work in pictures or places rather than the "subject" have any of you noticed the iron work in the TV program "The Mentalist?" I believe the series is out of production but virtually every darned show featured the characters sometimes action through beautiful iron work and the iron work was often in focus to render the subject in "soft focus". Yeah sure I think the producers and production crew likes good iron work.

It makes watching reruns of "The Mentalist" more enjoyable, lots of times I don't recall what the episode was about I was looking at the: railings, gates, hardware, chandeliers, lamps, sconces, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 2016. 06. 08. at 2:30 PM, littleblacksmith said:

Gergely,

i did that yesterday sort of! It wasn't at a fine arts museum, it was sam houstons homestead.

Littleblacksmith 

Hi, I had to look up what that place was, but all in all you really know the feeling :)

On 2016. 06. 09. at 4:47 PM, gote said:

07 Var Bauer månne här .jpg

Wow, Gote! Thanks for sharing those amazing pics! This one above, is it romanesque or gothic? Can anyone tell it? (Maybe in PM, I really don't want to feed the off-topic line :)

But I have to share this picture as it is a unique one. Hungary's only gothic doorware from the 1400-s. It's about 60 km from us in the church of a small village, named Tarpa.

575c82bfcd368_tarpatemplomkapu.thumb.jpg

You enjoy this picture and you might be addicted to blacksmithing :)

Bests:

Gergely

Edited by Gergely
spelling

Makes you wonder if they built the doorway to fit the plank or trimmed the plank down to fit the doorway...

I'm trying to remember if I saw Burg Eltz or just have the pictures in one of my books because that's very familiar...

Do you have a copy of Schöne Alte Wirtshausschilder one of my go to books when people start talking about "ornate" forged signs; unfortunately the proposed prices for similar work tends to put them off...

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Do you have a copy of Schöne Alte Wirtshausschilder one of my go to books when people start talking about "ornate" forged signs; unfortunately the proposed prices for similar work tends to put them off...

I'm expecting to have it between 20-26. June. :) Thank you Thomas for the hint! If you have some more data of good blacksmithing related books printed in Germany I'd be very thankful to have it. I have looked up a bunch of german books, but cannot know what's worth to order here in Hungary. (The Leonhard book as an opposite costed 0,05€ + 3€ shipping, so not much risk in it anyways :) ) 

Please PM me if you have the time to bother with German Bibliographie. Thank you very much and best wishes:

Gergely

When Louis XIV made war on the Germans his army destroyed most of the medieval castles along the Rhine and Moselle. The family Eltz, however, had French connections (even then :D) and their castle was spared.

No I do not have the work on Wirtshausschilder but I will look for it.

Perhaps we should have a thread about interesting ironwork we have seen. There is a lot of it out there.  

Napoleon batted clean-up.  Marksburg near  Köln is another one of the few original castles not re-built during the romantic period.

A lot of great iron work went to feed the wars, some of it was subsequently reproduced and then you get the "copy of a copy of a copy" effect too.  Why I tried to find *old* pictures of town squares, etc.

7 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

When ever you have friends and/or family over you just have to show them your scrap pile.

Littleblacksmith 

Or your wife tries her best to get visitors to look the other way.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if....

"Drop it like it's hot"  turns into "drop it, it is hot"

Littleblacksmith