I Forge Iron

You might be addicted to blacksmithing if you...

Part of a Spouses *job* is to enable the happiness of the other spouse!  I've rolled under barbwire fences to pick cotton for my spouse.  Planned trips to Quad-State so she would get to go to "Wool gathering".  Bought her a spinning wheel in Germany so she would have something to do during her 6 weeks there during my 12 week business trip---and then packed it for shipping it home.  I've learned to always pack a couple of empty  army duffle bags on long trips.  They either get filled with fiber or with my clothes while the suitcase gets filled with books, spindles, spinning tolls, etc.

She lets me go to the scrapyard Saturday mornings and work in the shop all weekend and likes the smell of coal smoke on my clothes!  (Just before we got married, she told me to buy an anvil even though it was expensive for us back then---US$100 for a 165# PW in great condition)...still in my shop!

So far we've been married since 1984, I've told her I am holding out for the escape clause in our contract---"till death do us part!"

When I was little, I once stood so close to a bonfire that the heat radiating out through the ground melted the soles of my boots and they mushroomed out all the way around. I loved fire even then.

When you scratch a piece of rusty steel from the dirt and think "I wonder what alloys this has" instead of "I best throw this in trash before it damage's a tire."

15 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

You wear new boots out in the shop?

Have to,old boots no longer have soles.

I find that a good solid layer of metal scraps, screws, drill swarf, etc. extends the life of a boot sole for a long time! (They wear like *iron*!)

Funny how that every outside door to our house has a piece of metal grating to scrub the bottom of your boots on before entering!

On 6/7/2021 at 11:59 AM, JHCC said:

When I was little, I once stood so close to a bonfire that the heat radiating out through the ground melted the soles of my boots and they mushroomed out all the way around. I loved fire even then.

I did pretty much the same thing to a pair of cheap boots as a teenager. Sat next to a campfire and propped my feet against the metal fire ring. Apparently the fire was closer to the ring than I anticipated. My soles started smoking within a couple minutes.