I Forge Iron

It followed me home

On 1/16/2023 at 6:23 PM, Frosty said:

I recommend not throwing any chain you didn't make yourself in the forge, galvanized chain can rust under the right conditions but the zinc is still there. The galvy can be stripped by soaking in diluted muriatic or acetic acid acid or for longer in vinegar. 

Frosty The Lucky.

seawater also does wonders to galvy chain, it works better if you put in a rusty steel chainlocker and shake it daily. 

don't forget to check on it; because in 5 years you can clean out the locker with a broom and shovel.

this story is not based on realtime events :rolleyes:

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haul from the scrap yard today,

20 feet of 3/8”x 1” flat bar

jack hammer bit

big truck coil spring

5 feet of 5/8 hex

1-3/4” tapered down to 1” solid bale spear 4 feet long

a solid square spike 1-1/2” tapered down to a point 34” long 

oxygen bottle, Big horse shoe, old funky wrench, misc angle iron, 12” x 5/8” round bar

.30 cents a pound today, I was a little over but they rounded down to 100 pounds even and loaned me a portable angle grinder to cut the 20 foot flat bar in half 

oh and a free truck tire to make Max a swing with! 

D4E3961C-6B1E-4DB3-A5DA-612AC77DC4D2.jpeg

Might try that out if I have some leftovers, or run back down an buy some more, 

they got piles an piles of bar stock down there in all kinda sizes,

I got this bar stock for use on a few stand projects, im messing around with some tripod stands for a couple anvils,

I’ve never tried the tripods before so it will be something new in the smithy

Good haul Billy, I have 2 anvils on tripods and that’s all I’ll use for anymore that I mount. Very stable, quietens the anvil and is easy to move around on a concrete floor. I used 2” pipe on the first and 2” square on the second, because that’s the scrap I had laying around, and both work great. 

Thanks Les!

I really like my steel sand stands because I can swap out different anvils and swage blocks I have on them

but I wanted a light weight permanent stand for the 60 pound Trenton to take portable

and I wanted to get the 172 pound Trenton off its oak block an it won’t fit in my sand stands cause it has a big footprint 

I’m doin 2”x2” square legs for the portable and made it to put the face wrist high since it’s for light projects 

the bigger Trenton has 4”x4” x 1/4” walled legs with 1/2” plate top an 1/2” plate squares for the feet so it’s heavier built

gonna do angle iron an expanded metal underneath both for tooling storage 

I ain’t figured out what I’ll do for hammer holders on either yet though, there’s so many different ways I’ve seen folks make theirs it’s hard to pick an idea! Lol

the flat bar I got today is for making the half moons and the sides to box in both anvils

Nah, there’s a difference between drawing and drafting. Coming up with designs and getting them down on paper helps me think through what I want a piece to look like, even before I light the forge. It’s another way to train the brain and the eye. 

Swung by the welding supply this morning to get a cylinder of ArCO2 (shown tied to my stock rack until I have a chance to modify my welding cart to accommodate it) and some .023” wire. I now have everything I need to try MIG welding!

E85810EF-9455-4423-8DB6-D71951C01E94.thumb.jpeg.884783f3e6ec0781e20cf99f441be8f6.jpeg

9CBF562C-9737-406E-BAFB-1E9389A7CF15.thumb.jpeg.6cf431901766f1ccde241822f71fc0f9.jpeg

I do still have quite a lot of the 50 lb spool of the .035” flux-core wire left, which I’ll be using for structural and utility work around the shop until it’s used up. My guy was kind enough to give me an empty 11 lb spool, which I won’t have to rewind as freely as the 2 lb one I’ve been using.

(Funny story: The only empty spool he hangs onto originally held Lincoln Innershield flux-core wire. He keeps it to show to customers who insist that they only buy Lincoln wire, “because it’s made in the USA!” That spool is clearly marked “Made in Mexico”.)

On 1/20/2023 at 4:36 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Haul from the scrap yard today,....oxygen bottle.

Billy, make a bell from that O2 bottle.  I made one to hang out by my forge and really enjoy listening to it when the wind blows.  I used an old pizza pan for the wind vane and a wooden disk inside for the clapper.

We have a good friend who works for the TSA, I'll see about getting a number to call and get notes for your luggage from now on John. How's that for helping a friend?:)

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty
Help one of my friends get over the confusion.