• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stopped by the industrial surplus place a couple of days ago and picked up some stuff I had on hold: a couple of pairs of leather gloves and some bars of O-1. Not sure yet if I’m going keep this stuff or sell/trade it.

DAF143E5-DF68-449F-89AE-ED209E668D5B.thumb.jpeg.905689e39952dfb8bf457149131a63a8.jpeg

(Not shown: a couple of cases of XL vinyl exam gloves that should be good for wet-sanding and the like. I’m keeping those.)

For some reason this page hasn’t shown up for me for a few days, I guess it froze up the same as every thing else the last week. I signed out, then back in and everything seems to be working right now. 

Billy, that’s some nice looking tools, who made the hammer eye punch?

John, that’s a nice haul, but the mention of the exam gloves bring back a lot of bad memories, thanks for not showing them 

Thanks Les

the hammer eye punch is made by some company called Bonbo, it came from amazon, it’s not quite as nice a quality as the German made Picard tools

but I think with a little cleaning up it will make a nice tool!

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

some bars of O-1

I never heard tell of that one, of course until Thomas started explaining I never understood what 1018 an 4030 an all those others was either lol

is O1 some kinda fancy alloy or something?

O-1 is Oil Hardening, W-1 is Water Hardening, S-7 (for Shock applications) is Air Hardening, H-13 (for Hot Punches/work) is Air Hardening. Follow the Heat Treating in the Machinery Handbook (or something similar).

Steel is Vegetable Soup!! Different Soup is made by adding different Vegetables. The same as Steel.

Happy New Year, Neil

13 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

O-1 is Oil Hardening, W-1 is Water Hardening, S-7 (for Shock applications) is Air Hardening, H-13 (for Hot Punches/work) is Air Hardening. Follow the Heat Treating in the Machinery Handbook (or something similar).

Steel is Vegetable Soup!! Different Soup is made by adding different Vegetables. The same as Steel.

Happy New Year, Neil

And I am always amazed at how steel can be recycled over and over again. In many cases in to soup cans, the pot to heat the soup, the burner eye and stove to cook the soup and the spoon to eat the soup. 

37 minutes ago, Will Brouwers said:

John, how do you make tongs from bed rails? Can you show us a picture of the final product?

I’m planning to make a video of the updated process, but here’s the thread from the first pair of these I made:

Mail man just ran, he walked up to the gate an handed me a box an said “I dunno whatcha got in there but it’s heavy” lol

a surprise from a member here on the forum, I’ll let them speak up if they want too,

its big ol heavy duty bowl swage!!!

thank you very much!!!!

Imma have to try it out a make a yarn bowl for Ash!!!

2E44AE07-36F4-4297-B789-C85FD8AB9BB3.jpeg

0BB4708B-3930-4FB8-AA30-E9C16579EFF9.jpeg

03AD8507-9682-454A-A37F-6EAB46E36BF9.jpeg

Man! I wish I had those kind of neighbors, the only fun things I have gotten from them are retrieved from the dumpsters...

Which brings up a question, one that I asked in an official thread, but here there is real application. If I received 20 lbs. of hardware, I wouldn't know what to do with it. Scrap it, keep it, scrap half, sort it all out? 

So, to put you on the spot John, what are you going to do with it? 

(Sorry to put you on the spot, just a curious "treasure collector" asking out of curiosity.)

Don't you have a junk drawer filled with screws, nails, wire, old springs hardware, etc? I've had one all my life, it's one of the first things I started when I moved out on my own, learned it from the folks who learned it from theirs and probably back to the missing link. How can anybody civilized person do without a junk drawer. A kitchen without a 20lb. capacity junk drawer is . . . Nevermind! <sniff>

I recall seeing a spot on a show, maybe the news a few years ago who "invented" a screw, nail, etc. sorting machine, a version sorted nuts. It was basically slotted table on a slant that vibrated as screws, nails, etc. slid down it they dropped in slots according to dia. Sorting by length was as simple as setting the slotted sheet on stands of various lengths and longer fasteners poked up to be picked up with a magnet. 

It cut down his sorting to wood, metal, machine etc. screws. Nails were a done deal when he cleaned them off the magnet. Sadly his patent was rejected as versions had been in use for hundreds of years anyway. Probably scored him a job offer though.

Frosty The Lucky.

The nails and screws are mostly sorted already, so it’s just a matter of the nuts and bolts. I’m planning an expansion of my hardware organizer, so this gives me a bit more incentive to sort them together with the others I already have.