I Forge Iron

It followed me home

You can buy chicks like that online. They are called broiler or roaster or something. Yup think it is 5-7 or 7-9 weeks. Somewhere around there.  It isnt so much about the feed but about breeding. You cant keep them as pets tho as after that time they will suffer joint issues and can even break their bones under their own weight. In other words they cant keep up with their own growth. 

My question is how you can buy a fully cooked chicken at giant eagle or some store for around $5. To buy the chicks is around 2-3$, then to feed and water them... I do understand bulk...

Shoot, I pay more for eggs Raising chickens than just buying eggs from a store. But I do notice a difference in quality. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We raise 100 birds with friends and there are at 8 weeks already ones who can barely move at 10 to 12 lbs. The knees literaly give out.

Das we also have layer hens and got some heratige banty mixes our one hen raised that lay about half size eggs the heratige eggs are already small about 3/4 size

On 12/31/2021 at 9:02 PM, Daswulf said:

George, you may be conservative with what you throw out to the landfill but I'd say "most" others are not.

Many years ago, when I took a course on welding at Fort Meade, the retired Colonel teaching the course said that he had permission to borrow stuff from the dumpsters for the class to weld on, that had to be returned to the dumpster(s) when finished with them..  He said he found whole offices worth of brand new furniture and new computers that were discarded because a new bigwig came in and wanted different stuff.... and that is was illegal to take any of it out of the dumpsters.   

I agree with you Daswulf,

your right they are selectively bred and then the descendants are sent to commercial egg farms From there some eggs get sold in stores an some go to hatcheries, 

but even breeding doesn’t quite make sense to me they grow that fast, 

I keep chickens now and they don’t grow half that fast, an I have had hatchery birds, eating just grain, bugs, grass or whatever else they find, 

Also mine are all free range so I give you that, they get a lot more exercise than commercial birds, 

How do you make the Cornish cross?

Tell them, “Cream first.”

(The people of Cornwall have a longstanding argument with their Devonshire neighbors over the proper order for putting jam and clotted cream on a scone.)

Alrighty y’all, I done went an drug home more rusty stuff today, lol,

I did some swapping today, I traded a 12 gallon cast iron pot, a 10 foot aluminum ramp, and a some ibeam short cut off pieces

for another post vise in pretty good shape, with stand, and three blowers that need some love and have no stands, 

Two are champion 400 models and one canedy Otto royal western chief, 

small 400 turns good but has lots of slop, missing a cap an some bearings,

big 400 is in really good shape but it’s really really hard to turn over, 

Royal western chief turns like a dream but has a chunk missing from the impeller housing, 

so gonna be some projects to get fixed back up an running good again,

6BF2CB7F-1A4A-45C0-8390-F947716D3A4A.thumb.jpeg.30d9fdf9cd186c883fd45e9197003d2d.jpegB8870757-06DF-408A-93D8-D8A6689D65EE.thumb.jpeg.ef286610053a586677886a756c4b2086.jpeg40C7CA64-D6CD-451C-8C40-9A1B570D89D0.thumb.jpeg.a8de7dfefdab03ba38e09a935b07840f.jpegC709B309-5CDE-47D5-ACA1-56BE24125FF6.thumb.jpeg.510bfa9160251fb286db9e0861a16dbe.jpegB7726FC4-B616-4C04-AB7B-CA5F6322DF7E.thumb.jpeg.6452496f18db576db0b4d8526bf654f7.jpeg9432BC7A-77CA-4854-95B9-E099BB23E9D0.thumb.jpeg.784569bf2804431ab1a300b09f2b3a26.jpeg7801E9D9-B46D-4599-ADFC-4278890187D9.thumb.jpeg.f63084c625f01b65a763cf40453b1b81.jpeg889DDB54-FE44-42E8-92C7-9B0878F5BB79.thumb.jpeg.ef67842898ddb8506dfdf06df995e896.jpeg889DDB54-FE44-42E8-92C7-9B0878F5BB79.thumb.jpeg.ef67842898ddb8506dfdf06df995e896.jpeg718B5E50-FF5D-4E77-BE25-FB5246AC31E4.thumb.jpeg.1fc3ee3dce4e9510174424f8c8290ecd.jpeg7D746585-F66E-4B0F-A473-A14D96B366EF.thumb.jpeg.1c96d8c4ace627d56190ab41b0d32267.jpegF9170E59-446A-4C17-A29B-AC563FCB74E5.thumb.jpeg.5ed2e947ad187e8c6f8472b8eb02957b.jpeg

On 1/8/2022 at 8:53 PM, Daswulf said:

My question is how you can buy a fully cooked chicken at giant eagle or some store for around $5.

Simple: that's a "loss leader". In other words, the store will charge a ridiculously low price on one item in order to get you into the store, knowing that whatever they lose on that low-profit item will be more than made up for in whatever high-profit items you get at the same time. Ever notice that the rotisserie chickens are always in the back, so you have to walk past all the other merchandise to get to them? Stores expect you to grab other stuff on the way to the chicken and then on the way back to checkout.  If it weren't an effective strategy, stores wouldn't do it.

John, around here the rotisserie chickens are at the front of the stores.  i suspect that the location is intended for impulse purchases by people standing in checkout lines who feel too tired after shopping to face making dinner or on their way to the checkout area.

That said, yes, you usually see dairy and meat products, which most folk buy, at the back of the stores so that they will traverse the other aisles.  Some of that can be attributed to the fact that dairy, meat, bakery, produce, and deli products often need a "backstage" area which needs to be located on the perimeter of the main store area.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

When I think of loss leaders I think of items that have necessary refills/consumables that have a high profit margin. Kcups, razors and tool batteries come to mind. For many bare tools the profit margin is very small or nil in some instances.

However, the margin on the batteries is large enough to offset that cost.

I have six Rhode Island Red hens and one rooster.  Depending on the hen I get medium to large eggs. Sometimes extra large.  I find it interesting the shape of the eggs can change greatly from week to week. Some look "normal", others will be more streamlined, some more rounded, etc.  I free range mine in my fenced off front yard more for exercise, and quality of life, as I don't have a lawn here in the desert. 

We have a Latin market here called Cardenas, and they sell whole grilled butterflied chickens at their deli on Friday for $6 now, up from $5. They smell so good that I usually start munching on one as soon as I get to the car. These are not small birds either, they have quite a bit of meat on them.  Far better deal in my opinion than a more expensive burger and fries.

The only thing that has followed me home recently has been more commercial food service equipment. This time it was three refrigerated sandwich prep stations, small conveyor oven, and upright refrigerator along with some miscellaneous items from the stores. I have a line on another storage locker full of items that I need to follow up on. I bought a commercial past cooker and bar station from one location, and they mentioned the other stuff they need to get rid of.

Oh, almost forgot. Brought home another 10' of 100-3 drive chain from work. We replaced a damaged chain on the cooker I maintain.  Now  need to figure out what it can be used for. That 10' of chain weighs 80#.

45 minutes ago, Frazer said:

When I think of loss leaders I think of items that have necessary refills/consumables that have a high profit margin.

It's the same principle. You're looking at loss leaders from a manufacturing perspective, whereas the rotisserie chicken example is in a retail perspective.

Went to the scrap yard today. Looking for some heavy sheet stock for my forge table top. Saw a homebrew power hammer of sorts, and picked up some square stock. About 40 pounds worth for $9. Mostly 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" square. and a couple of 5/16x1-1/2.

IMG_20220110_115825891 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20220110_115837103 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20220110_132339114_HDR (Copy).jpg

Oh, guy there said he had a forge blower come in, in good shape. A guy snapped it up for "high dollar" price; $39.  :blink:

Thanks BIGGUNDOCTOR,

I haven’t even looked the Vise over yet to see if there’s a name on it, but it’s pretty straight just need to clean an re grease the screw threads, 

I think I’ll have good luck on the 400s, they are a pretty common blower, I’ve messed with them before,

infact im goin Friday to look over an possibly buy a couple more 400s that need some tlc, 

I’m helping out a member here whos been wanting a 400, so I’m gonna go through all four an send him whichever is the best one,

or… take four and build one if I have to! lol :lol: 

This Saturday, my wife told me for what she said was the “last time!” that her kitchen is not my shop, so I stopped off at Goodwill on the way home and bought a small crockpot for $3. It isn’t big enough for much more than small things, but it beats having to find a new wife. 

1 hour ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Mail call, I was hunting for some 2” steel balls the other day and Glenn an Stash had suggested a couple places to look, anyways UPS just ran so I got the last piece of the puzzle to start on a new project!

One of the antique stores in town sells these and smaller steel balls as “Civil War cannon balls and canister shot.”  They even have the battlefield they were dug from listed on the card. They are actually modern steel balls soaked in vinegar or muriatic acid and then allowed to rust in his backyard. 

Yeah I’ve seen feed hopper balls in antique stores around north west Arkansas too trying to pass them off as cannon balls lol,

I ended up ordering these from a place Glenn found down in Texas that supplies steel stock and ornamental steel stock, 

Shipping was fast, I ordered them Friday and they made it here today, 

I would make a copy of the OK statute regarding criminal fraud, highlight the appropriate sections, and either hand it to the antique shop owner with "I thought you might be interested in this." or, if you didn't want to be confrontational at all just leave it lying on the "cannonball" display.

A possibility is that he is not the perp but is getting them in good faith from someone who is.  I was once in an antique shop that had some Spanish "pillar dollars" (1/8th of which = a 'piece of eight') which looked off to me.  I found a place on the edge which said "copy."  When I showed it to the owner she was appalled and called the guy who had placed them in her shop.  As I left I could hear her side of the conversation and she was HOT.

Given how many rusty mill balls are around I wouldn't believe any attribution to Civil War round shot or canister unless they met the proper diameter requirements for common caliber period weapons.

I saw a guy last year, trying to sale a 100 year old Sears catalog! For $200 bucks… it was pretty beat up and all wrinkled on the cover… only thing was it clearly said reproduction In Small letters at the top.. out of curiosity I looked up that same year reprint catalog and it was $16 on Amazon…

I’ve also seen reproduction dazy hand crank butters churns marked up high as antiques..

and one of my personal Craigslist favorites is the guys that take a harbor freight anvil an strip the paint off then let it get rusty in the backyard and then post it for 10 times what it cost new… as a (real antique anvil)

TW, you could report it to Craigslist and get him banned.  I have done that when I have seen something that was clearly fraudulent or a scam.  If he is local you could report it to either the Sheriff or the Police Department, particularly if they have a fraud unit (not likely in small departments).

Also, I've told this story before but years ago I sold some miner's candle sticks to an antique shop in Central City, CO.  The next time I was there I sent Martha (my late wife) in to see by how much they had marked them up.  I had sold them at $10 apiece as modern reproductions.  They had rusted them up and were telling folk that they were over 100 years old and had come out of a local mine and were pricing them at $100 each.  I was really POed but then decided that I just wouldn't sell them any more work and that the buyers, probably mostly tourists, should remember caveat emptor (let the buyer be beware).  However, since then, if I make a reproduction of something that could be passed off as old I add the year I made it in Roman numerals to my touchmark.

yt12, your not wanting to pass them off as cannon balls are you? Lol,

I ordered these from steel supply lp after a suggestion from Glenn, but they don’t carry the big ones your looking for, 

stash, suggested king metals and I just checked them out an they carry up to 3-15/16” which is pretty close to 4” 

Also I don’t know what you need them for but before all this I was searching for mill balls, and you can get them in all kinds of sizes but good luck getting info from those companies, also they are really high!