I Forge Iron

It followed me home

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Simple: that's a "loss leader".

In the area I live in they can only have meat in the counter for "x amount of days" but they can transform it into something else, at the end of that time, and place it back for another "x amount of days" such as rotisserie chickens, stew meat, ground meat or cook it in their deli 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am working on a few ideas of an "artistic vein"------and to a lesser degree-----(under the umbrella of TMI )------I have a bit of the RA in the hands and fingers and have use the smaller sizes for flexibility--gotta up the ante...

Meat and dairy is usually at the back of the store to concentrate the refrigeration to one area. Delivery, storage, access to the counter, isles, etc. can share the power. The isle coolers have their own refrigeration but they're all close. 

That's not to say making you walk through the entire store to buy a quart of milk offends them, arranging things to encourage impulse buys is a goal. 

I've noticed stores rearrange the shelves when the stock so you can't plan on finding what you need where it was. Can't plan a short loop to pick up the 3-4 things you want so you have to wander the isles and GLORY BE, LOOKY THERE!

With supply shortages stores are having to spread merchandise out so as to look stocked. The local Fred Meyer has things in near total disarray. I found Systane and Genteal Tears "GEL" for my dry left eye, in the isle marked incontinence / baby products with the granola bars and energy drinks and antacids. 

Sorry about the rant but I strongly dislike marketers and the tactics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Accompanied an acquaintance into a shop in Gettysburg that was/is supposed to be reputable when it comes to Civil War relics, years ago.  1. He pointed out artillery items that were fake and described why. 2) A No.1 field artillery wheel was there for sale, and it was about 50% wood putty and parts that I recognized from a wheelwright shop in Lancaster, and included 3/8" buggy bolts where 1/2" tire bolts were supposed to be.

And prior to that, I had attended an Early American Ironwork conference in Delaware where a smith showed me 1. that about half of the "Colonial" ironwork on display was reproductions and why. 2. Showed me items behind his truck seat that were on their way to supply relic stores in Gettysburg that he made. 

A few years ago, a leatherworker told me that saw one of the belts that he made for sale at a Civil War relic table at the convention center in Gettysburg. He showed the seller why it was identifiable as his, and the seller didn't care.

The bottom line is to suspect the authenticity of ANYTHING that claims to be from the U.S. War Between the States.  

There’s a couple small civil war sights in NWA by me one at Prairie Grove and another at Cain hill, 

the only things I’ve ever heard of anyone actually digging up was small arms bullets, around the battle field, 

And one rusty cannon out of a creek bottom, close by the battle field, 

8 hours ago, JHCC said:

Mail call! 

How’s that project working out for you? 

Looks like drill rod for drilling rocks.  Check how it sparks, I used a chunk to do a pipe hawk once since it would harden.

SAFETY TIP:  there has been at least on incident reported where a piece of drill stem was reused as a tamper for explosive charges and had filled the interior channel with the explosive that then went off when years later someone tried to forge it. Always check that the center channel is cleared out before putting in the forge!

The old drills had the bit forged as part of the end and so the whole thing would be HC.  Newer ones have the cutting bits that screw onto the ends---those bits can be used to stamp strap stop for ornamental work if you have a screw press.  The rock drills are sort of mechanized star drills with air or water forced through the center channel to clear the cuttings back.  Lots of mining around these parts 100+ years ago  and so pieces show up at the scrapyard fairly often.

No taper it’s the same size, it’s just bent, 

he cut it off a 14’ piece piece for me,

he has apparently been using this pipe as a pry bar for the last couple decades? 

anyways not sure what imma do with it yet… I was asking him about big round stock so I wasn’t expecting this lol,

the leaf springs are in pretty bad shape, there’s several broken ones, I wanted them to make frog gigs with but I’m kinda afraid to mess with them for fear of fighting cracks? 

TW, you might check it to see if it is wrought iron rather than steel.  I'm a little skeptical of the gun barrel hypothesis, particularly since it appears to be open at both ends and there are no other things like sight blades or attachments for a stock.  What is the diameter of the hole?  If it is close to a common caliber, e.g. .50 or .58 inches it would support the firearm thesis.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I don’t think it’s wrought but then again I’ve never spark tested wrought, 

scott! Hey the hardware idea ain’t half bad lol! 

Just cut em to size and tap them! 

Ive I didn’t already have 600 pounds of nuts an bolts in the shop I might try that! 

speaking of tap an die sets I’ve got this huge set that I’ve been meaning to put on here for a year now, it’s as big as a pipe threader but it’s for big bolt threads, and almost all the parts say little giant, 

I didn’t know if it was related to the hammer manufacture but they’re still pretty cool 

91F48F55-07AF-48B4-B855-1FD3DF330B06.thumb.jpeg.6115073ec10f6f7b1ec904217141e3bd.jpeg

2B4B8737-DE17-4E98-9A60-A2AB4D496F22.thumb.jpeg.0521156394be0c1e736b2b4ba2bbadae.jpeg