• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are made by one of the big names in bucket teeth MTG out of Spain.  Not sure if these model numbers are still made. I cannot find them anywhere other than Epay.  I have dropped a couple of messages with nearby mines, and a supplier to see if they use this style / size, or if they are now obsolete.

Also got some info on Utah coal from up north. Bituminous with 11,000+ BTU , 11% ash and low sulfur. The market price is $35 a ton, but not sure what retail would be, but I asked about it as well. 

That's a great price even with a somewhat low BTU and high ash content.  According to sources here on IFI, the Phoenix Mine in Vinita, OK is "importing" Utah coal to OK (since they are not mining now) and selling it for $225/ton......the Phoenix Mine price pre-shutdown had been around $70-$75/ton

When you get into the 12,000 BTUs and below heat value, get a sample and test it in your forge.  

The higher the BTU, the more heat.  You can tell the difference in 1,000 BTUs .  Most of what I see is high 13s, 14s, and Sewel coal is 15,000s BTUs.

Ash is rocks and things that do not burn.  You are paying for heat. 

Had a pretty good haul from a boat shop and the mechanic at work. I see lots of bottom tools, drifts, tongs, and punches in my future (as soon as this dang rib heals anyway). The auger teeth are going to be turned into plank mounted bottle openers. 

Ignore the galvanized bolts, they are for my anvil stand (if I ever get around to building it)FBF6B343-8B11-4C05-8680-637B2A9D962C.thumb.jpeg.1be5bcefe28c5eba1e9e4cace8c22b9c.jpegA8BDD687-2E88-47AE-9EEB-2C65D8B312EE.thumb.jpeg.f8d163d20816473e024f86567fb980db.jpeg

Bantou, nice score!

I found a free "broken" table saw. I brought it home and there was no continuity which left two options. I checked the motor and, while filled with sawdust, it was fine. I took apart the switch and some burnt sawdust had fouled the contacts. After cleaning them up with some sandpaper it fired right up.

IMG_2021-08-23_21-05-41.jpeg.1e09004870edb000ea4f332edc0413a8.jpeg

I ordered a new switch just in case. $8 is not too bad for a table saw.

Nice! I will also be getting a free non-running table saw. My uncle used to do contractor work and has retired and moved away. I recently asked him how much he wanted for the table saw (Delta contractor saw), a jointer (Craftsman floor model) and bandsaw (also a Craftsman I believe 12") and he said he wouldn't ever use them again so I could just have them. The jointer runs, the table saw does not and I can't get to the bandsaw until I move the table saw. I should be getting them tomorrow. 

Moving back to the primary thread topic, one of the several ways I’ve paid the bills over the years was as a meat cutter. Used to be a reasonably steady source of income no matter what town you might be moving through, till Walmart decided pre-packaged meat was a way to put more money in their pockets. 

Anyway, our assistant market manager at the Winn Dixie in Marianna, Florida had been careless when cutting frozen pig feet. Cut his right index finger off the second joint. They were able to reattach it, but it caused it to be permanently fixed in place. It just kind of stuck out. He really had to pay attention anytime he used the bandsaw after that, especially since he no longer had any feeling in it at all. Although I suppose that would have been sort of a blessing had    he cut it off again. 

His fault was the same as mine had been each and every time I’ve been stupid and hurt myself. You do something so many times you get to thinking about other things while working. That or trying to use a piece of equipment while someone has come over and I am too busy talking to pay attention to what I am doing. I suspect the same is true for just about every injury anyone here has had in their shop. I am just more easily distracted than most. 

On 8/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Another accident and he can become a Computer Scientist!

Naw, he would need to lose three more if my math is right.  He would still have his ten toes. 

Made a run to the coal dealer today, luckily I had just enough coal left to finish forging what I wanted to forge today.

The last 75 kg lasted me more than half a year, let's see how long this one lasts with the upgraded forge.

~Jobtiel

Does the bandsaw do both wood and metal?  I have an old Delta/Rockwell from the 50s. It doesn’t do both and I really wish it did. I consulted someone who sells old Delta parts to see how much it might cost to convert to a switchable model. He told me I would be many times better off just selling it and buying one that came from the factory that way.  I suppose I could maybe do it with pulleys. (More accurately expressed as, “I could haul it down to my Dad and ask him if he can do it.”)

Nice place. Most people in the US likely think that area of the country is flat nothingness. They are wrong. 

1 hour ago, DHarris said:

I suppose I could maybe do it with pulleys.

I have a thread about my project to make a dual-use bandsaw with a regular motor for wood and a motor with a gear reducer to slow it down for metal. While I've encountered some problems with the gear reducer that I have not yet gotten around to fixing, you might find the discussion interesting.

I found them when I went to the drug store to buy some salt tablets, like I used to get in the service. They told me about Medi-Lyte tablets which are better for dehydration and don't have the bad side effects of salt tablets when used as directed. Picked them up and never looked back.

The last few times I’ve been in the forge, I’ve really been feeling the heat, despite hydrating like there’s no tomorrow. Someone mentioned this stuff in another thread the other day, so I thought I’d give it a try. 

I can't remember the name of the electrolyte tablets they had placed around the rubber refinery, but I think it was the same brand. I used to take them year round. It was also mandatory to take your breaks in the air conditioned break areas. It was always hot in there. I worked second shift so all the machines and mills were running for at least eight hours by the time I came to work which made it even hotter. 

Pnut