I Forge Iron

It followed me home

On 11/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, Gazz said:

Yes, the motors can be reused for many things other than belt grinders.  If the control circuit is not totally cooked you have a variable speed control.

Well, I dragged the motor to the treadmill out of the bin.  It's very heavy.  the plate on the motor shows it to be a 16 amp, 150 volt DC motor good up to 3600 RPM.  It has a pretty stout flywheel on it but the central rod goes all the way through and extends a good three inches on either side.  I'm thinking I could build a belt sander with the rollers, where does one find 24 inch wide sanding belts :)  just kidding.  I am thinking I could cut the rollers off to the width of a sanding belt

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoping to finally have a home to have stuff follow me to.   Put in an offer on an old farmhouse that has a barn.   Funny thing is it's in the middle of a town and the barn is almost the size of the house.  

Being the way I am,  I'm actually only interested in the barn,  the house is gravy and a place to sleep when I'm not playing with tools.

Yesterday having been Election Day in the US, I put out an appeal on my local Facebook "What do you have? What do you need?" group asking for election signs for the wire. Not only did I get almost a dozen or so from the current election, but one lady on the north side of town had almost a hundred bare wires in one corner of her garage. It's the Mother Lode!

If you want election signs contact the local road maintenance department. The signs are commonly placed on the county, state, etc. right of way and the volunteers rarely pick them up again so it's up to road maint to clean up the messes. The yard usually has a pretty impressive pile of signs, they have to hold onto them long enough to legally declare them abandoned. 

If you don't work for the agency nobody but NOBODY will question you about picking through the pile and loading them in your pickup. We didn't. The printed 4' x 8' plastic signs make a darned water proof roof that lasts direct sunlight a few years. 

Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

On 11/4/2020 at 7:35 AM, Chad J. said:

Put in an offer on an old farmhouse that has a barn.   Funny thing is it's in the middle of a town and the barn is almost the size of the house.

Good Luck to you on that deal.  feeling kinda jealous.

My scrapper/demo derby neighbor let me know he was hauling in some of his scrap pile by his garage. Haven't rooted through it in a while. Curious to see what's there when he lifts some layers. But grabbed some stuff before it got dark. Was too busy going yardwork and loading firewood earlier. 

We have a good relationship and trade a bit. 

Got some tire chain, 1 1/4" axles, a big 1/4" garage door spring, some rr spikes, a piece of 1 1/4" square bar, a round steel 6 3/8"x2" chunk, and a 6"x3" square chunk with a notch in it. A sledgehammer head maybe 4-6lbs. A file and other miscellaneous goodies. The pipe chunks are 8 5/8" and 6 5/8" od. 

There was so much there but I tried to keep it simple and don't want to over do it, or make a mess digging into the pile. He always has good stuff. A few pieces I'll remove the gears for scrapart and return the housings for scrap. 

Theres always more to dig through. 

20201108_214153.thumb.jpg.504bdf241979719193838cd98736a026.jpg20201108_214202.thumb.jpg.5c3367e2b50b26ffd5df7499a66da7bd.jpg

As is my wont; I went to the scrapyard Saturday morning; didn't bring much back, on 51 pounds this time including a cast iron vase, 3 sections of stainless chimney pipe, a pile of large rusty washers, some heavy duty structural sq tubing, some round stock,  several axeheads both single bit and double---the double was a nice light one with a beautiful shape for throwing, another dog leash chain---smaller than the one I used on my Chandelier.

Nice breeze that increased all day and into the night.  Place in NM are supposed to have 45mph gusts today...Fall is falling!

In addition to a full 20lb propane tank from Airgas (exchanged for the one they gave me before, which had a faulty valve), this curb find followed me home:

CD0A6C3B-C802-404D-AFD1-118A9AB07228.jpeg

Screw turns fine, but the slide seems stuck with rust. I’ll have a go at it later. 

Well today was supposed to be our hammer in so I brought a scrapped out 36mm injection screw to throw into the “iron in the hat” pot, but when I got to the forge the sign on the door said hammer-ins are cancelled for November and December. Guess I didn’t get the news... On a positive note, one of the other smiths showed up also and he had a load of charged fire extinguishers to give out. Just what I’ve been worried about! Made the trip well worth it.

David

E21B07F9-306B-4562-8691-450A1AFDE928.jpeg

Stopped by the tool thrift shop grabbed the lot for $10. Old files for misc HC needs, large 1" shank chisel (I've never seen one with 4 edges in a cross like this one, but I saw a bunch that were like that today...), probably for handled top tools, a tire iron because why not, and a 3# hammer. 

2020_1114_172456_001.JPG.d74c4bbd1beffbb1e630db612eb0829d.JPG

Looks like someone just kept adding wedges. Once the handle loosened up again, they just junked it. 

2020_1114_172705_002.JPG.5057920e717d02967af0d2511cbc90de.JPG

Interesting, thanks for the info. It looks like it has hardly been used. I picked it up thinking it would likely be a medium carbon steel, maybe an S series, but that's doubtful. Does that seem like a reasonable assumption? 

Whatever it may be it's going to be suitable for use as a struck tool, so having some 1" stock octagonal stock was well worth the $2

John Henry said to his shaker
"Shaker, you'd better pray
'Cause if I miss that little piece of steel
Tomorrow be your buryin' day, Lord, Lord
Tomorrow be your buryin' day"

The shaker, besides rotating the drill would pour water in the hole to wash out the cuttings.  A good shaker could take out a drill and replace it with a new one without disturbing the rhythm of the striker.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

A small star drill makes a wonderful impression of a star on the hat of a rr spike wizard.

Just because someone calls it one thing does not mean that is the only thing it can be used for.  Not building a box means everything is either a opportunity or a possibility.

I was planning to cut off the working end, leaving enough material that I could draw it out keep that chisel. It's not something I could easily make on my own and there is no point destroying it. However, that shank doesn't need to be that long or that thick for my purposes.