• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have found that some smaller sawmill bandsaw blades (Woodmizer is the most common in this neck of the woods, around 1 1/4" wide) are already laminated or bimetal and react in interesting ways when forge welding or etching for pattern. Many more layers when looked at closely than the unsuspecting smith would expect.  Less than ideal when pattern welding for looks rather than performance.  

Would not use band saw blade  and pallet strapping as a default recomendation unless you really KNOW what the manufacturer of both is using.  I learned that from the crumdugeons!

Needed to clean up around the toolbox at the body shop so these guy among other goodies followed me home.

A floor jack in the metal hopper that needs a minor repair will follow me home Monday. :) 

A year ago they threw out two lifts that if I could have would have followed me home. 

image.jpg

also I'd reforge the cutting end down thinner after you grind it square. I bought one like that one a while back that was beat up and had to do the same thing.

Littleblacksmith 

My wife and I spent our anniversary going to flea markets this mornin and saw some good stuff and most of it stayed. I passed on a 16 lb sledge hammer with tape wrapped the entire length of the handle, misc. hand hammers and a few jackhammer bits. I'm kicking myself about the 16lber and the jackhammer bits a little bit. 

I did pick up a couple new files and an interesting triangular bearing scraper. I'm wondering if the scraper could be used like a sen. These were all new tools instead of buying from the old crusty ones I found scattered. 

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

well another one of these Clark Trucloader forklifts followed me home on Friday. it was a 4 hour round trip drive. once again these are the smallest ride on forklifts ever made and can drive through a man door. they weigh about 2500 lbs. and have a lifting rate of 1000 lbs. and take up about as much room as 2 trash cans..  these don't pop up often and when they do... they seem to sell quickly.. I bought this one with the idea of having a parts truck, but once I looked it over its actually in pretty good condition..   

00H0H_6qnyMFh1L4n_600x450[1].jpg

00H0H_aDUdPDvOoU6_600x450[1].jpg

00V0V_3bfeJnkbVDF_600x450[1].jpg

00S0S_fi3zPDspqDz_600x450[1].jpg

PART_1504987293615_1504987293852[1].jpg

2 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

That would be a high quality Osborne wood lathe pointing chisel.

Please forging me if I sound argumentative, I don't mean to, but I feel it's not a pointing chisel. The picture I uploaded earlier does look something like a pointing chisel but the only ones I've seen were flat whereas this one has triangular cross section with a slight hollow grind between the sharp edges.

IMG_1487.JPG

Went to a friends house this weekend and was looking at an old drill press he had is his

garage. He asked will it fit in your truck, it needs a motor.  When I got it home  I found that the motor was full of dirt dauber wasp nests. Took the motor apart, cleaned it out and it runs great! It is missing the Quill locking clamp bolt and the spindle needs tightened but that in minor.

dp.JPG

I got a drill press (with hundreds of bits) and a wood/metal lathe (with 20+ tools and attachments) yesterday for 200$. Yes they are old but they work and seem to have been taken care of. Pics are from the place I bought them from. 

DSC_1145.JPG

DSC_1144.JPG

On 9/11/2017 at 1:01 PM, Elemental Metal Creations said:

Went to a friends house this weekend and was looking at an old drill press he had is his garage. 

I literally just got the same thing yesterday. Only you got it for free 

Funny, I've got a drill press like that, too.  When I got mine at auction I hadn't seen one like it before, with the ability to tilt the head left and right, rotate it about the vertical post, and slide it closer or further out from the post.

Of course, except for one occasion I've always used it in one fixed position...

-- Dave