• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About WoodnMetalGuy

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Profile Information

  • Location
    - SE Minnesota

Recent Profile Visitors

720 profile views
  1. Civil War era blacksmith wagon

    I love the Terry Pratchett books!
  2. Civil War era blacksmith wagon

    That's the same type of anvil stand that came under my Fisher anvil when I bought that. Seems to work fine, and easy to add or remove layers to adjust the height. -- Dave
  3. It followed me home

    Funny, I've got a drill press like that, too. When I got mine at auction I hadn't seen one like it before, with the ability to tilt the head left and right, rotate it about the vertical post, and slide it closer or further out from the post. Of course, except for one occasion I've always used it in one fixed position... -- Dave
  4. Vinyl Cutter for etching???

    Check out http://knkusa.com/ My wife got their 'Zing' model several years ago and it has been great. They have newer models now. Mostly used for cutting paper for scrapbooking, but has been used to make vinyl resist for sandblast etching on glass. Am amazed at the detail these machines can cut. -- Dave
  5. What Did You do in the Shop Today?

    Thanks for the further info! -- Dave
  6. What Did You do in the Shop Today?

    Very nice looking result. Can you talk a bit about your process? I'm assuming there is no weld, fold, weld, fold, repeat... iteration for this, as there is for other Damascus? Just start with the lump of chain and weld it all together once? How many heats does that take? Are you using flux? Is it important to degrease the chain before starting or does it all burn off? Never having tried this, I have these absolute beginner questions... Thanks - Dave
  7. Just getting started

    I like that you're starting to get some more lighting in there. Those two ceiling spots alone looked pretty grim to work by. Seems like your shadow would often be on the work. I'm slowly converting my fluorescent fixtures to use the new 4 foot LED bulbs that look just like fluorescent tubes, but are brighter, and work great even when it's so cold the fluorescent ones fail to light. -- Dave
  8. Looking for Mr. Cooper

    Yes, I messaged him, too, and found that that James Cooper lives in the UK. Would have been a neat coincidence, though. -- Dave
  9. Looking for Mr. Cooper

    I'm guessing that may be the James Cooper who is active on the 'Fly Press Forging' facebook group - with his most recent post about 1 hour ago... -- Dave
  10. Gasser Garage. Rebuild your forge or make it a HOTROD.

    That's what I'm doing. 14" diameter with 3" insulation. It's what Ron Reil on one of his pages said he would do for his next one, so I thought I'd give it a try. -- Dave
  11. Light fixtures of the past

    And I have seen it used in the window on an old wood stove.. -- Dave
  12. Oysters and clinker

    I have heard of adding crushed oyster shells to the corn in a corn-burning furnace to affect the hardness/quality of the clinker developed in those stoves. I believe that depending on the design, some corn stoves/furnaces have a clinker breaker and if the clinker gets too hard they have problems with that. So I think it's probably a real thing, but I don't know any more about it than that... -- Dave
  13. Muscular Oak and Steel Bench

    I like that! Are the braces and stretchers secured by wrapping only, or is there a weld under there? How did you manage any tweaking needed to keep it from rocking on a slightly longer leg? What kind of power hammer is that? Looks pretty hefty... -- Dave
  14. Will I be able to do much with this?

    I was thinking that a 50% duty cycle would mean in use half the time, or 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off. And 5 on, 10 off would be 33%. Am I confused about that? -- Dave
  15. Shattered steel

    I'm inexperienced also, but all I can think of is that it must not be mild steel like you thought. Something that air hardened, maybe? -- Dave