I Forge Iron

It followed me home

It followed my wife home, 970 pounds of steel including a 10'x4'x3/8" plate which weighs 630 pounds. Sadly we don't get to keep it because it's for a metal fabrication class at ESSA (Eureka Springs School of Art) which she is a volunteer in the heavy metals building (blacksmith shop). Now all I have to do is figure out how to get that plate out of the truck.:)

100_1861.thumb.JPG.98420489d8869dce4d60a8909a6c2f0c.JPG

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All you guys finding cheap or free drill presses with QUILL LOCKS! You can't find a new one with a quill lock and I can use the heck out of a spindle that stays where I want it, raising and lowering the table is NOT a suitable alternative! :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

All you guys finding cheap or free drill presses with QUILL LOCKS! You can't find a new one with a quill lock and I can use the heck out of a spindle that stays where I want it, raising and lowering the table is NOT a suitable alternative! :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.

Mine is missing the Quill lock bolt, but it is on the list to buy/make!

Tubalcain2 gave (yeah, GAVE) me this post drill. THANKS BRO!!!

Now ain't that nice of him. That one is almost identical to the one I got, except the plate you rest the workpiece on was missing so I had to  weld/forge a new one.

Littleblacksmith 

He used to be a High School Shop Teacher, right?

I think that's why I enjoy his video's, because he reminds me of a High School Shop Teacher.

No, you must be thinking about someone else. Tc2 is a very good teacher in person, but not in a high school and I don't think he has any videos. :-) 

No picture, but I just grabbed a broken motorcycle drive chain off the shoulder of I-90 just outside Boston. I'm thinking hold-down....

Use it for a hold-down.  They are heavier than bicycle chain and not "roundy" like conventional chain.  They lay flat wonderfully.  I put a hook on one side of the anvil stand and hung a good weight (2-4#)on the other side.  I just raise it up and down.  I used a piece of bush hog blade for the weight.  This was actually a piece of logging equipment chain.  I went to a motorcycle repair shop to find chain, but they said that so many of the newer bikes these days are belt driven, therefore motorcycle chains are getting hard to find.  You're lucky!

Chain hold down 05.jpg

Chain hold down 07.jpg

JHCC,

You have fashioned a really nice looking and practical hold down.

Stand up and be proud.

I made similar hold downs, a few years back, using automobile timing chains and some elevator weights. The weights came from a mid sized elevator, that was being demolished. I came across the weights and took some home. They resemble four inch diameter sausages about fourteen inches long. They even had an attachment ring at one end. Fixing the weight to the timing chain was a simple matter.

The device works great.

I mention this in order to alert the membership to other sources of chain and weights. Church bell clappers may not often be found. Then again one does not often run into dismantled elevator parts. (there are other items that may serve as suitable weights, to be found in the neighborhood).

The moral of this story is, I suppose, to keep a sharp look out for potential items to solve a problem, and a flexible mindset to think of different ways to solve that problem .

Happy hunting.

SLAG.

The moral of this story is, I suppose, to keep a sharp look out for potential items to solve a problem, and a flexible mindset to think of different ways to solve that problem .

And also that if you're going to stop to pick up any blacksmith's roadkill, remember: SAFETY FIRST!!!  I've been lucky, that just about everything I found has been in places with nice wide shoulders where I could get completely out of traffic. A bit of chain, however nice, isn't worth my life.

A 128 pound Trenton anvil followed me home from the NEB meet. It's in really great shape zero chipping, it rings with the tap of a finger. Dual prichel holes and has some remainder of black paint, and got it for a pretty good price!! 

Sorry about the big pics couldn't find out how to resize them on an IPad.

IMG_4916.thumb.JPG.3444eb1fe7179c0576cf8f2e5fe555fe.JPG

IMG_4919.JPG

IMG_4922.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG