I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Well had to dip into my SOFA fund just a tiny bit, but it was worth it. Pick up a Genuin Norlund Hudson Camp Axe, a Miller Falls 2-A drill, a Rasp made by Hayes in Detroit Michigan, and a few other things for $20.00 at a estate sale. Not sure what the piece with the square holes is, maybe a gauge of some kind, but it's not marked for size.

_NTVGQzIzNUIuQ0hfRE9NLkNIX0NIX1BPLjIwMC4yMDAwMERGLjEuM0JGMDIuMUA0NTo1NUZDMjM1Qi5DSF9ET00uQ0hfQ0hfUE8uMTAwLjE2NTMzN0EuMS41MTk3LjFAMTo3LkNIX0RPTS5DSF9DSF9QTy4xMDAuMC4xLjAuMUAxNg--.jpg

Edited by Jacob Nothstine

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well had to dip into my SOFA fund just a tiny bit, but it was worth it. Pick up a Genuin Norlund Hudson eCamp Axe, a Miller Falls 2-A drill, a Rasp made by Hayes in Detroit Michigan, and a few other things for $20.00 at a estate sale. Not sure what the piece with the square holes is, maybe a gauge of some kind, but it's not marked for size.

_NTVGQzIzNUIuQ0hfRE9NLkNIX0NIX1BPLjIwMC4yMDAwMERGLjEuM0JGMDIuMUA0NTo1NUZDMjM1Qi5DSF9ET00uQ0hfQ0hfUE8uMTAwLjE2NTMzN0EuMS41MTk3LjFAMTo3LkNIX0RPTS5DSF9DSF9QTy4xMDAuMC4xLjAuMUAxNg--.jpg

My father had a little wheel brace like that. The handle came apart with a wooden thread to reveal a compartment for a few drill bits.

Is the thing with square holes in, a tap wrench perhaps?

Edited by Alan Evans

This followed me home, my dad's company threw it out because it's old and they are a modern, high-tech company.  So naturally they threw away this perfectly good, English made, rock solid pedestal drill so they could replace it with a modern, "made in china" Draper one that's intended for hobbyist use.  Apparently the new one is already causing them problems because there's play in it and it's just not as accurate or powerful as the one they threw out.  Still, their loss is my gain.

WP_20150718_18_50_01_Pro.jpg

I went to the flea market today to be able to spend time with my wife doin somethin other than chores and yard work (seems like the only time we get together anymore with everythin goin on). While browsing and not planning to buy i ran across a booth with several old files, drill bits, and wrenches and so much more. I ended up buying a large round black diamond from him as well as a hand drill bit and a center punch. In the picture they are sittin on some 1x4 tongue and groove for size reference.

image.thumb.jpg.37d27ba18e7c7a45e7311473

I also found another booth with several top tools and hammers ranging from fullers to crosspiens to different size round and square top swages. If he wasn't asking $15 each and/or I had some more money i might've gotten a few just in case I needed them one day.

A friend gave me a bunch of bits and pieces she picked up from a rail-to-trail conversion near her home. Mostly steel, a few bits of brass, an interesting tool, and the inevitable notice from the TSA when your checked baggage is heavy and clanks.

IMG_20150925_203318707.jpg

Edited by JHCC

The old black diamonds were 1.2% C and I save them to juice up knife billets that look a bit low in C.

I might go back this weekend and see how many more I can find. The wife was bored lookin at rusty old tools lol. I did see at least one other black diamond and a grobet (grobert?) both flat files about 8 inches long. I doubt any of the files are any good for filing since they're all loose in a plastic tub wearing each other down but I thought about knives.

i currently have a lead on a coil spring that came out of an old piece of equipment. If I manage that score I'll definitely be showing it off cause it is a beast.

Can't find an anvil? Good grief man isn't there ANY large chunks of steel at that yard? Anything heavy enough to beat hot metal on is a REAL ANVIL. Find some lighter hammers and that 12lb. sledge head is anvil enough to make world class swords on.

Keep your eyes open, there are a lot of things in common use that make wonderful anvils. Just remember the anvil doesn't do anything, it's the mind, hands and eyes of the smith that does everything.

Frosty The Lucky.

A friend gave me a bunch of bits and pieces she picked up from a rail-to-trail conversion near her home. Mostly steel, a few bits of brass, an interesting tool, and the inevitable notice from the TSA when your checked baggage is heavy and clanks.

Railroad people; any idea what kind of metal the fat J-shaped pieces in the lower right are?

Can't find an anvil? Good grief man isn't there ANY large chunks of steel at that yard? Anything heavy enough to beat hot metal on is a REAL ANVIL. Find some lighter hammers and that 12lb. sledge head is anvil enough to make world class swords on.

Keep your eyes open, there are a lot of things in common use that make wonderful anvils. Just remember the anvil doesn't do anything, it's the mind, hands and eyes of the smith that does everything.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a nice Hay Budden that belonged to my great grandfather. Since this was in the yard, I figured there might be more. It still might be there and I just didn't see it because of all the other junk piled up. Hate to think someone is using a good anvil as yard art. :(

Zombieresponder, how much did the yard stick you for those items?

That Champ 400 is a good unit, is it turning freely,or will it need a rebuild?

About $40. The blower isn't turning at all right now. I'm guessing it was left outside for quite a while from the moss on it. I'll have to make some legs for it after I get it freed up. Shouldn't be a problem since I have another one with the original legs on it to use as a pattern.

Picked this up at the scrapyard this morning.

20150926_123812_zpskfvazq2i.jpg

I don't know what the cross peens weigh, maybe a 3 and a 6, but the sledge heads are 12 pounders. Unfortunately, didn't find any more hammers or an anvil.

i haate you zombie....so what if the blower is frozen you still stole it at $40.  Wish mine had cool stuff like that

Heyho!

I just got an offer I couldn't decline.
There was a Thread in the german knife forum; Selling 3 Anvils.
I opened it and read it, there  was a guy offering 3 Anvils everyone should weigh about 200-240lbs.
I wrote him and made the deal.

I bought the three shown Anvils.. the small one on the 4. picture is my 110lbs Peddinghaus Anvil.

The 2 next to each other have a Weight about 240lbs. The bigger one , which shows his front and is MY new Anvil has around 350lbs.

WP_20150925_18_25_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20150927_15_26_53_Pro.jpg

WP_20150927_15_27_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20150927_15_27_13_Pro.jpg