I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Hit the scrap yard at lunch today, and spent $5.00 for all this. The large lathe turned rings start at 5" and go down to 1" will make a nice bending tool. The C shape things are made by Do All not sure what they are maybe a gauge for lathe work marked 1 -1 1/4, the green tubes have new Jacobs tapers. I also found a 5" round disk to complete the set for my bending jig and a nice oak cart with heavy duty casters. 

IMG_0260.JPG

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jacob, the C shaped items are snap gages. The first button is the go size, the second one is the no-go size. They are used to check machined parts to make sure they are within a set tolerance. I would look to sell them , as they are fairly expensive new. 

The stepped piece may also be a gage. It appears to be polished. If so the size of the diameters may be dead on sizes to be used as a standard for a mic set, or some other testing device. If it is, it is worth guite a bit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped at a garage sale before work and pick up a hammer, Stanley 45, and some Emmet vise parts for $17.00

Went to the scrap yard at lunch and pick up 140 lbs of scrap mostly 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 round and square, they were all longer lengths the cart is 6ft long. Also pick up a bar that is labeled Penn. Flexor Steel have to do some more research on it. All for $13.00 and a couple of cigars.

It's been a good day, and sunny as you can see by my shadow.   

_NTVENzM5OUQuQ0hfRE9NLkNIX0NIX1BPLjIwMC4yMDAwMEYyLjEuOTY1NEUuMUA0NTo1NUQ3Mzk5RC5DSF9ET00uQ0hfQ0hfUE8uMTAwLjE2NTMzN0EuMS40Rjg3LjFAMTo3LkNIX0RPTS5DSF9DSF9QTy4xMDAuMC4xLjAuMUAxNg--.jpg

_NTVENzM5NzUuQ0hfRE9NLkNIX0NIX1BPLjIwMC4yMDAwMEYwLjEuMkQzOEEuMUA0NTo1NUQ3Mzk3NS5DSF9ET00uQ0hfQ0hfUE8uMTAwLjE2NTMzN0EuMS40Rjg1LjFAMTo3LkNIX0RPTS5DSF9DSF9QTy4xMDAuMC4xLjAuMUAxNg--.jpg

Las Cruces NM, USA fleamarket this weekend: 1 largish globe ended ball peen, 2 large ballpeen heads, (1 a Heller), old very fine sharpening stone with little wear, a dozen very rusted bits for a "brace and bits".  total US$8  (finding ballpeens where the peen is a ball and in the larger sizes is unusual in my experience; good for dishing and armour making)

Edited by ThomasPowers

I finally found a blower for my forge. If it works.  Its a 16 amp blower though and looks like it needs a good clean out as it has grass in it. I got it from the bouncy castle guys at our last bike rally. It looks like this one  in the pic

Inflatable_Blower_Inflatable_Fan_For_Bou

If you have the power supply capable of running it....

The best and easiest way to reduce the output of the fan will be to just blank off a section of the input area. A pivoting/sliding shutter would give you variable control. Experiment with a sheet of cardboard.

Alan

If you have the power supply capable of running it....

The best and easiest way to reduce the output of the fan will be to just blank off a section of the input area. A pivoting/sliding shutter would give you variable control. Experiment with a sheet of cardboard.

Alan

I do not reduce the input area but open a secondary output that blows in the room to reduce airflow. I think that this is better for the motor.

Chris

I do not reduce the input area but open a secondary output that blows in the room to reduce airflow. I think that this is better for the motor.

Chris

That's true if the motor relies on the blower for cooling air.

Frosty The Lucky.

Chris

Better for the motor how exactly?

I am not an electrician but I have seen fans controlled by an input shutter from original manufacture, and have heard them speed up when you cover the inlet or the outlet.

By reducing the amount of air completely the motor appears to run lighter with no load. The more air it has to shift the heavier the load.

Frosty's point about the cooling of the motor is intriguing, would the motor need as much cooling if it was not under load? 

I can't think it would be very good design for the motor to be cooled by a bleed from the main fan on a bouncy castle. Presumably once up to pressure, the cubic throughput of air is hugely reduced although the load is still high maintaining the pressure.

Maybe Stephen can show us a photo of the other side of his fan to see whether the motor is external and/or cooled by air from the main fan.

Alan

p.s. found a drawing of it which would appear to show that the cooling air is drawn through the motor and is part of the input to the centre of the fan. Which would work with the more air being blown the greater the load on the motor and also the greater the cooling effect. Stopping the main air input on the opposite side should not have any adverse effect on the motor cooling air. Quite the opposite.

Screen_Shot_2015-08-25_at_09.16.52.thumb

Edited by Alan Evans
Found the sectional drawing

I'm the type that drapes a damp cloth over part of the inlet and have never worried  about overheating!  But that's neither here nor there, what is interesting is the 115v model outperforms the 230v one by 20% , well slap me with a slipper ! I didn't see that one coming!

Better for the motor how exactly?

I think I  made a generalizing statement that is not applicable to that fan, I was thinking like frosty wrote that airflow is required for cooling. But you made your point clear, now I have to test it on my own fan...

I took it to be a cautionary statement, something to check for before blocking air flow. I just reiterated the statement in different words. The precaution doesn't appear to apply to this motor and fan. I have an old blower driven by a motor that depends on the blower for air flow. The case is open to the blower impeller with vents by the brushes at the other end and no other vents. There is NO other air flow except through the blower.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well interesting...Looking at the drawing again I am not sure which way the air does flow through the motor.

We will have to wait until Stephen fires it up and can put his hand near the motor side vent to see which way it is blowing.

But I think my basic thought holds true either way...if you reduce the main input air it will reduce the load on the motor and therefore the need for motor cooling air.

Alan

It´s was something I memorized years ago and kept watching for, maybe I have transferred it from pumps. 

It was wrong to make a generic statement based on habits I have developed

While it might be less stress for the blower to reduce air-intake I doubt my open end solution is measurable worse, most load is when I close my gate for high airflow. 

As long as the motor is not cooled by the airflow I think both ways are practical, but if it is it can reduce the lifetime certainly

I must admit I was not considering motor cooling when I initially suggested closing off the input...just the ease with which it can be accomplished.  The fans I have seen with that method of control did not have their motors in an enclosed box. I did not realise that the motor was enclosed on Stephen's one until I found the drawing.

All my fan units however, which just use a sliding gate valve to shut off the air on the output side, are in plywood boxes with no direct/dedicated/independent feed to the motor vents. The plywood enclosures I built to reduce noise in the forge probably over twenty years ago. The single phase (F20M) one has had three or four sets of brushes and one new set of bearings in that time. The three phase .75kW one has been maintenance free.

One advantage of reducing the input air rather than spilling the excess air would be lower power bills from less load on the motor. Not much saving if it cooks the motor of course!

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Followed me home from a mates. I think its a cut off tool but as always im not sure.

Tinmans stake. (Hatchet stake?) For folding an edge in sheet metal work.

Have you noticed the discussion above about your fan…we are waiting til you fire it up and stick your hand over the motor see vent (if there is one ) to see which way the air travels through the motor….

Alan