I Forge Iron

It followed me home

a scrapyard I know has a quantity of 16MnCr5 known in the US as SAE5115 steel in the form of a round section with 2 flat sides, sort of like the shape you want a hammer eye if the corners are rounded a bit.

at a guess the original dia was about 22mm or 7/8" and across flats it is about 16mm or 5/8" ( these sizes are a guess ).

anyone know if this would be good for drifts and punches or anything else?

have read a bit about it but not had time to delve very deep so thought I would ask here before buying it

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had heard of the gentleman but somehow never dared to go and ask. I dared and came away with the following : a pair of tongs perfect for the 5/8" round bar I work with these days, a Champion 400 blower in pretty good condition only needing cleaning and oil,and the man threw in two wheel tires.

P1020987.thumb.jpg.a5a9cf0c5f8db8ebb3dee

One leg has been repaired.

P1020979.thumb.jpg.4700abc209e7618660997

The handle is ready to die but it will probably do so after me, i think. I will oil it.

P1020980.thumb.jpg.b9f2c58d30dee5012a275

I think the zirt is the original. It is quite loose inside.

P1020982.thumb.jpg.d5fc6b518616d8e0c5455

As can be seen, it is in need of a cleanup.

P1020981.thumb.jpg.38589565a4a324cc136c6

As mentioned, the tongs are perfect for Ø 5/8".

P1020986.thumb.jpg.ddf4ce2962873090d7076

They were forged by a blacksmith as is apparent with the forge welded reins. The one I show has two welds approximately 2" apart.P1020985.thumb.jpg.b52236bbb1e39feada7e3

I dropped 60$ for the lot. He also told me he could get me a forge. The description he gives makes me believe it is a Buffalo table or something like it. But what is more important, is that he told me without my asking that whenever he comes across blacksmith tools, he'll phone me before selling them. I thing I made a good hit. For up here at least where these tools are few and far between.

Nice score Yves. That's not a zerk, it's an oil cup. the cap should be on a spring so you can lift it and squirt a little oil in, the cup will drip oil on the gears at a measured rate. Nothing fancy, plain old 30w is perfect, non-detergent is good but not necessary. Don't get carried away and use heavy oil but if that's what you have it'll be fine.

These things are well made but were designed to use almost anything, melted bacon grease will work a treat though it won't drip from the oil cup. You'd have to unscrew it and drizzle warm bacon grease directly on the gears if that's what you're using. If you do decide to use bacon grease I hope you understand just how much bears LOVE bacon grease. And no, the cast iron blower housing won't keep one from licking the gears clean once it bites through to get to them.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

I did not know the name of the oil cup. I do not even know it in french. I am mechanicaly challenged, more, mechanicaly impaired. I do not dare take the blower apart alone : not sure how it goes, not sure I have the proper tools, not sure period. So I go to a friend's place. He does the job, I supply the conversation.

By the way, our bears are brown, the small guys. I never saw one, only poop once, a few years ago. But whatever bacon there is, I would not give to a machine, I eat it :).

I asked for an oil that does not freeze. They sold me one. All I can say is that it may not freeeze but it sure becomes heavy at -30Cº. What would you recommend along these lines? I think I have transmission oil in my blower.

This second blower is to be used outside of my silo and at demos I plan on giving or is it selling?

Edited by yves

I asked for an oil that does not freeze. They sold me one. All I can say is that it may not freeze but it sure becomes heavy at -30Cº. What would you recommend along these lines?

​Buy your oil at a neighborhood store, ... in a neighborhood that lies below 35 degrees latitude.  :P

Yves: Good to know you use bacon grease properly, wasting it on wild life is . . . wasting it. Inland brownies are what we call Grizzlies. In Alaska we have two flavors of browny, inland Grizz and coastal brownies. The coastal bears tend to be much larger as they have a better diet and life being not so hard scrabble they're less aggressive. Grizz on the other hand are always on the hunt so leaving anything edible where they can reach it is inviting trouble. You live in a warmer climate so they're probably better fed and less aggressive. But they're . . . bears. :o

What in the name of anything with nerve endings are you doing out there at -30c? Have another cup of coffee/tea/etc. and catch up on naps, soap operas, etc. inside where it's warm. Good grief man you must have it bad!

If you need to operate it that cold use a synthetic though 10w will still flow at that temp. Synthetic hydraulic fluids like DN-600 are fluid at -60f and is a decent lubricant. ATF works and does a good job of cleaning out waxy residue left by motor oil. Gear oil is WAY too heavy, just because there are gears in there doesn't mean gear oil. The oil needs to sling to lube the little bits and the things were designed for basic old oil in the 30w. range. Heck, 3 in 1 household hinge oil works fine though it's lower viscosity and will sling off faster keeping you putting a squirt in the cups maybe twice per session or every 3 hrs. +/-

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

-30Cº is not that bad if you dont have the wind blowing between your legs and you are dressed properly (wool). I'm sure you know that.

I have a wood stove in the smithy. It does cut down the humidity but it is generaly useless since I have to open the door of the smithy my sidedraft being 14" square with a 12" square chimney (it works so well, the chimney, that you do not want to bring your grandchildren next to it. There is a danger that they would be sucked up there and disappear in the ether ...) There is a lot of air going up there. I have to bring as much in. So I open the door 2-1/2" or so. Its not that bad at the forge and the anvil, but one more step towards the door and what I do not know how to name so as to not be offensive on an American family forum, get very small and come up as far as they can!

This year, if commissions keep on coming like they do, I'll install the heaters they use on restaurant terrasses in Montreal. They heat the objects (bodies being objects) but not the air. They are 650$ down here and live on 240v juice. To operate, they cost about as much as a floor lamp in a broth... closed house ... as the French say. This year, the cold never let go and it cost me someting like 8 weeks of working time. It stayed around -30 Cº/-20Cº for weeks. I can't realy remember and do not want to. It was quite depressing. And the wood pile was going down and still does by the way. I can't affoard that. I will get the heaters.

Thanks for the info on oils that I can and ought ot use.

Bear with me ... Our bears, like I said are nowhere to be seen in my parts of the country. I could grease a telephone pole with bacon slop and only my cats and I, maybe the neighbor's dog, would stop to have a lick ... 

Smoothbore,

I thought about hitching Prince-Edward Island to a couple of tugs and pull it down in the vicinity of THE Islands. I could not do it aIone and I could not find anybody that had sufficient ... faith is it? ... so I am stuck up here fighting with oil that is not supposed to freeze. If you would mail me what I need I would be indebted to you.:rolleyes:

Ayup, top swage. No telling what the thing on the far right was meant to be, maybe a tie tack for a giant but I'd add it to my stock without worrying. Perhaps hold off cutting it up for a while, someone here might know what it is.

Good score all round.

Frosty.

Hi Yom,

The tool on the right is for bending sheet metal work, you slide the sheet between the jaws and clamp it in a vice.

There is a proper name for it but it does not come to mind ate the moment.

One day last year I was driving around in the "other" parts of our town and saw an old engine of some sort in a yard.  Big flywheel, rusty, looked quite heavy.  Nobody around so I went on and drove by every so often.  Finally a fellow was in the yard and he said it was some sort of old engine (he didn't know any more than I did.) 
Said he wanted $100 for it.  It was a trotline weight to me so I called a retired doctor blacksmith friend that rebuilds steam engines.  He made a deal w/ the guy, took it home, restored it and got it running.  Said it was an early gas engine that had no carburetor by design and dated from the turn of the 20th century.   I'm glad a bit of history didn't get to the scrap yard.  Maybe I can get more info and some pics.

on a certain auction site, the seller repeatedly failed to let me know the size when I asked, also had a flypress in the listing title that was in fact a tinmans horse and although it was in the title was going to be a lot extra so I am considering what comments to leave as feedback at the moment.

no pictures at first and then nothing for scale and something in the central hole which he claimed was the flypress, he will not be getting very good feedback, that is for sure

10 years ago!

This is one of my favorite threads. I always look forward to the finds everyone comes up with.

I just noticed the begining date that Glenn started this thread... 6 April 2005. Amazing, and always active.  Thanks Glen, and everyone for all your interesting finds. It's like 'Antiques Road Show" for blacksmiths, but the tools are valueable because we can still use them, despite their age.

So thanks again, and keep them coming!

These are from a fatal train wreck in Belmont AZ. some  time ago. I don't know what part of the train they are from.  You can see the crystallization in the cast that may have caused weakness. I have been using the hitch looking thing for an anvil. The hallow one hurts my ears to much when hit with hammer. Each weigh 100 lbs or more. At least two of the engines  that collided melted. Any way this is my find from awhile ago

DSCF0097.JPG

DSCF0101.JPG

10 years ago! This is one of my favorite threads. I always look forward to the finds everyone comes up with. I just noticed the beginning date that Glenn started this thread... 6 April 2005. Amazing, and always active. Thanks Glen, and everyone for all your interesting finds.

The idea was to show others what you could find that can be used in blacksmithing. It gets you to looking as you are out and about and seeing things that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Edited by Glenn