• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I am pretty lucky with resources. Things just appear in my trailer from time to time. A farm area was being cleaned up a bit and owner says put your trailer here and we'll fill it up. Take what you don't want to the dump.
Lots of usable stuff there - old blacksmith made hooks and harness items, wheel hub rings, old machinery parts, heaps of buggy leaf springs and a few nice old coach axles. Some lengths of railway iron too, but that's too heavy for what I do and it will go to the dump. Also some heavy castings which I don't use. But I'll keep 80% of it. I think a lot is wrought iron.
It's nice when folks think of us before just dumping this sort of stuff isn't it?

post-50874-0-07672300-1396393374_thumb.j
post-50874-0-79836700-1396393430_thumb.j

so i went to a tag sale this weekend and besides from getting some stitches i came home with

a nice old manual 20ton press

cleaned her up and she spins like a top once i got the bird crap out of the bearing

post-22808-0-82370000-1396924614_thumb.j

post-22808-0-50862600-1396924644_thumb.j

then today i was helping level a house and i ended up coming away with with a really nifty screw jack

duff brand

post-22808-0-78001400-1396924724_thumb.j

the inner threads turned really hard and as i was freeing them up the outer set started moving i had no idea they were even there

Here's from this last weekend gleen of a garage sale. After cleaning a little bit, a ball pein, and a couple of items some of you will remember...an old tire hot patch clamp and a Ferguson wrench for the tractor parts / attachments. Thinking of the patch clamp, maybe good for clamping knife handles after gluing??...dono...

post-40298-0-76133800-1397014850_thumb.j

post-40298-0-02605200-1397014882_thumb.j

post-40298-0-79363100-1397014937_thumb.j

got a few pieces of round EN8 ( 1040 ) steel yesterday, about 3" diameter and 8 to 10" long, wondered about using it for an early anvil just set on end in a stump

That'll make a fine period correct anvil for almost any period. Don't forget to hand forge a point on one end. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

Man what kind of garage sales do they have where you people live?!?!   I'm so jealous!  I'd be lucky to pick up a hammer or a chisel at anything around here.   Nice, big iron pieces, just not gonna happen where I live.     sulking now......  thanks......  

I'm often struck by (whatever they call yard/garage/rummage/? sales in the UK) envy. Not only to folk that side of the pond come across juicy bits like that but real wrought iron, centuries old tools and equipment and such.

You ought to try finding blacksmithing tools in Alaska. If you find something they want stupid money for it and that's not counting the stupid expensive shipping, they tag that on too. <sigh>

I just try to ignore the great finds on the other side of the planet. If I could fire up my jet and visit I might but I'm just a guy so I read and go look at the next thread.

Okay now I'm little depressed so I'll think about those two BIG coil springs laying in what I think is an abandoned lot. The diameter of the stock has to be near 2" dia and would make probably a couple hundred hammers. I'll salve myself imagining all the cool things I can make with those two BIG coils of (probably) 5160. I'm better now, hard as that is to believe. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, quit thinking, and find out who owns the property. They may even pay you to haul that "junk" off their property.

I waited too long to inquire about a very large crucible I saw abandoned on a vacant lot across from Timet in Henderson. One day it disappeared, probably to the scrap yard. I saw it as a yard art possibility placed on the edge of the slope on my property tipped on its side with Mexican bird of paradise flowers flowing out of it like hot steel. that thing must have weighed several tons, so moving it was a chore.