I Forge Iron

Fall 2022 challenge!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much can be Thomas. I purchased a. cool dagger with a wooden handle and sheath at the fleamarket as a kid. As I got older I realized it was a fancy letter opener. 

I have made dagger bottle openers for a few friends before. 

End of October feels totally doable for me to learn a few techniques and join in on this! And my coworker uses a cheap plastic one to open all the office mail so I'm going to do some brainstorming on a design she'd like. She's the whole reason I even got into blacksmithing as she was the one who invited me along to join her at a blacksmithing project class (we made a Viking Fork - aka: long pointy skewer with twists & loop handle, lol)

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm a bit busy getting ready for the state fair and Quad-State, but perhaps I could do something out of rusty barbwire if I get a chance.

That’s why I set the challenge date out so far so everyone would have time to participate! 

I really like your barbwire icicles! A letter opener would look awesome!

8 hours ago, Shainarue said:

End of October feels totally doable for me to learn a few techniques and join in on this

Awesome! I’m glad your jumping in too! 

I’ll bet your coworker would really appreciate a hand made letter opener from you!
Should make a nice Christmas gift if you wanted to wait that long to give it to her,

Aric,

im sorry your first shot broke on ya,

But that’s a wicked looking twist you got on the handle all the same! Maybe you could save the handle to add to one of your sculptures!

Found some time to get the forge fired up. Started making a trade item (Hardy tool) for our BOA meeting Sept 10th at Tired Iron. Also knocked out this letter opener for the challenge. It started out life as an old wrought iron RR spike that had rusted away badly. I first made a spike out of it to hold down an anvil but decided to toss it aside and made some spikes from mild steel instead.

This is what I came up with 5 1/2 inches long.

100_2269.thumb.JPG.56512ad85b7c7bb1244d077dac4c3acf.JPG

It weeel open a letter. Debi says it's cute.:)

100_2271.thumb.JPG.8ac346a9ea20f49a6f572a921591320c.JPG

100_2272.thumb.JPG.05d0905ba2add423c0aef88e18388235.JPG

9 hours ago, Jobtiel1 said:

I've never made a letter opener, so I'll have to get my creative side up and running to think of something nice!

I bet this will be an awesome fist letter opener for ya!

9 hours ago, Chad J. said:

Maybe I'll give it a shot with this

I didn’t think about doin that for mine, I can’t wait to see what ya come up with!

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Maybe it will get a life as something else

I’ll be watching the sculpture forum for it!

Randy,

I love it!
Looks awesome! i have an ol spike I believe is wrought that I’ve been saving for a rainy day but i didn’t think about that!

I'll be quite honest, I knew better, and still for some reason did it. Wasn't as much an attempted quench as a quick cool down from black heat. But being the bearing race I used, I still knew better. One of those tired things that bite you. 

Here is my submission. Made from 5/16" square bar of 303 stainless. The brass ball is attached by threading a tenon and drill and tapping a piece of 3/4" round brass bar, cut off a piece and ground it into a ball. Sanded the blade kind of shiney and just wire brushed the handle then a bit of wax. 

image.thumb.jpeg.19a9184b510ea721e2fa815360e13e5c.jpeg

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

I think I'll make a Thomas Powers letter shiv from a sharpened tooth brush

Remember the rules, it must have at least some forged component no Matter what material you use!:)

12 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

that is neat.

Jennifer,

are ya gonna join in on the fun? I’d love to see what you’d come up with! 

BillyBones,

that looks amazing!

I really like the brass ball! That’s a nice touch and a cool idea! Are ya gonna give it to your wife to use or you gonna keep it for yourself? :ph34r: lol

I think I will join in..   Kinda tricky subject since it's left to my own artistic self..  LOL..   

I really struggle with art and loose parameters.. 

Brian B.. did some fantastic work on his pieces..  

I might actually have to sit down and design something..  

Billybones..  Splendid.. 

18 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

think I will join in

Awesome!!!
All Your work is beautiful! i cant wait to see your piece!

12 minutes ago, Frosty said:

letter shiv

Alright Jerry let’s see an Eskimo shiv!

Thomas,

i thought rusty barbwire made better shivs then tooth brushes:huh: