I Forge Iron

Another step forward!

ThomasPowers

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a picture of the meter in place and powered on!  But I can't send it to my laptop for posting.  Perhaps I can snag one when I get home in between my toasting and marveling at having *lights* in the shop.  (Now I have to get all my power tools cleaned and ready for use!  Much harder to do without power...)

Yes the un-secret hideout of the "Powers of Darkness" is no more; no more  working like the third world Powers.  Free at last to be the Powers of Evil I was destined to be!  (at 12.5 USCents a kilowatt hour + US$15 basic service charge  Also I'm not supposed to use a motor larger than 5hp.)

I was going to lay some high power power puns on you, knowing how you get a charge out of them but couldn't think of anything worth sending.

I hope you have the lights on and are using power tools cleaning up other power tools. 

I think I might look to the people higher up the food chain to maybe straighten this out, save someone else from going through the BS and outrageous overcharges. I know we all have to pay for the oft times criminal incompetence of GVT. but that was just plain blatant.

Frosty The Lucky.

Already mentioned to my wife that LED shop lights would be the *perfect* birthday and Christmas presents this year---and to pass it on to the kids!  Haven't figured out a way to get LED 2 hp motors....

Still have to wait on the state Inspection before I can move all the stuff around and really go to town!   But at least we will have a light to load by!  I figure I can set up the halogen spot lights to bounce off the underside of the roof and light the entire smithy for loading.

I really like the LED fixtures I have put in my shop.  However, get the kind with a pull string switch or wire them into a wall switch circuit.  I have one fixture that I have to plug in and remove the plug to turn it on and off and it is a bit of a pain compared to the pull string switches.

Wally World has pretty good prices on LED shop lights.  There is no such thing as too many lumens as long as they are not directly in your eyes.

I've thought about putting LEDs under my forge, work bench, etc. so that they look like the under lighting of low riders.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I have liked the 4' kind rural king has been selling. I have slowly been replacing the old 8' florescent fixtures in the shop with them and use them as seed starting lights in the spring. 

My only complaint is that I can't screw them directly into the rafters (without making brackets which I plan on doing)  they only come with chain and hook mounting. But they can piggyback on the plugins and have the pull string. One of them beats the 8' florescent fixture by a mile. And by 10 miles when its cold in the shop. 

For around $24. each that isnt bad in my opinion. 

Currently the clean shop and the smithy each have *1* led bulb in the center of the ceiling.  After inspections passed; I'm going to swap out that fixture with an outlet and run a 4' shop light to either side.  Both lights have a wall switch each next to a doorway. Got an outdoor light outside by each man door too.

Meanwhile I have a couple of halogen shop lights I can plug in the wall outlets and bounce off the ceiling.  I expect I'll be lucky to get it inspected before Christmas.

I consider myself lucky to have had power to my shop. I've had to and still need to modify it as I grow. I also am thankful for my ng heater in here but hate the price of ng for using it so it waits on standby during the cold months for when I really need it and also supplement the house using the wood burner tied to the heat system. As you'd know the forge doesn't heat much unless it is already hot out it seems. I look forward to making and installing a wood heat system in the shop.