I Forge Iron

Another step forward!

ThomasPowers

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you offered to let the Mrs. talk to them in person Thomas? I do that if somebody REALLY ticks me off, Deb is a force of nature once she gets going. 

Besides I'm sure all the board members have spousal units she could chat with.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thursday October 21: No sign of work by the SEC; we're down to the "wire" if they are going to get anything done "the week of October 18".  I was thinking of taking Thanksgiving week off and finish up things; but it needs to be done *after* the final inspection...

I try not to burn my bridges before I get across them. Remember this as a rural area; this isn't a large faceless corporation! I go to church with some of the SEC, meet them in the grocery store; pick over what they have scrapped at the junkyard, etc. (Since my smithy is based on several Utility poles, fittings from utility poles are handy!)

Maybe discuss the lack of performance with the SEC members during fellowship in church? Small towns are well known for applying peer pressure. No need to make threats, just ask for a good reason they aren't doing anything but double billing you for work they aren't doing. 

A little publicity can go a mighty long way and the congregation just knowing should provide insurance against pay back.

I've had to deal with that kind of Mana attitude for too many years, heck I worked for that kind of organization. There are ways to pressure them just do NOT raise your voice or say anything hostile, one swear word or seemingly innocent threat and you'll be labeled as a "hostile contact" and nobody has to talk to a hostile person so you're SOL.

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Maybe discuss the lack of performance with the SEC members during fellowship in church? Small towns are well known for applying peer pressure. No need to make threats, just ask for a good reason they aren't doing anything but double billing you for work they aren't doing. 

Excellent advice. I've lived in small towns myself and this truly is how you get things done. 

Pnut

My old friend Bob has a great method. 
you start out with giving them 3 reasons it would be nice for them to do their job, 

if that didn’t work you give them 3 reasons why it is their job to do their job, 

if all that failed you give them 3 reasons why your lawyer will own their backsides if they don’t do their jobs. 
only had to resort to level 3 once, with my child’s school. As I had a copy of the ADD compliance manual I new what they were supposed to do. When they didn’t and the superintendent started hiding from me I docked the state and fed departments of Ed on them after giving them fair warning. 

Thomas, we have all given our opinions.  In some respects, we have been having some fun at your expense (some literally).  Some good, some well.....mine somewhere in those groups too.  I will come to your defense, though.  I live in a small rural area with a local elec. co-op.  And as you have said you are neighbors with the co-op folks and in some cases friends.  Not anywhere like a large city where you can wield threats and so-forth.  I suppose all one can do, really is wait it out as long as you personally feel you can before pulling the trigger.

Well I won the pool!  "Nothing will have been done the week of Oct 18".  I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see what's going on.  Always nice to let folks recover from the weekend; though no storm(s) lately to put them behind.

I'm wondering if I should write and thank them?  (Remember W. C. Fields...)

On the other hand I was able to back up to the smithy and unload after going to the scrapyard.   We're parking on the other side of the house now.  A bit of a pain but I don't want to give the SEC *ANY* excuse as to why they couldn't get started.