I Forge Iron

Another step forward!

ThomasPowers

If you go to the social security site, you can find all the info you need. Plug in your state and do your research. It is all there. Was a great help when I was looking. You can sign up up to 3 months before your b'day.

Steve

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandy and I are on United duel compleat. But we are on disability, but my Dad has United threw AARP and seems to have no complaints. In fact he had a stroke and heart attack and only a couple of grand out of pocket. 
after Mother’s illness, surgery’s and subsequent passing the costs were reasonable as well. 

• 1 month later...

Just called my electrician; he says our permit is listed online as being completed all inspections passed!  Now I can push the workbenches back against the walls, remount the large postvise and start work on adding the additional circuits (200 amp service, the breaker box looks *empty*) all will be in Conduit for safety's sake in the shop.  I guess the first thing I really need to do is to convert the light fixtures in the shop to outlets so I can mount 2 shop lights at each one.

And probably the greatest news: my wife told me that the extra US$3k it cost that I borrowed from our savings has been "forgiven" and so I can go back to getting my monthly allowance to spend  equipping the shop!

Now to keep my 'Youthful giddiness" in check to not make any mistakes...

I'm glad to hear it, Thomas.  I do still think that you ought to document all your trials and tribulations and send it off to the state regulatory commission.  There is definitely something rotten in the state of New Mexico.

However many outlets you think that you will need, double it.  You can never have too many.  And put some in locations where you never think you will need power.  You will.

George

The news put a really big smile on my face Thomas! Ditto George, there is no such thing as too many outlets, lights or windows.

Now that you'll have electricity IN the shop you'll be able to really get going. 

A few posts back folk were talking about Medicare and supplemental type insurance. Here's one for you I think anybody living further than 30 minutes from the hospital should consider.

Check out "Life Flight Network." For $69/ year per household you have air transport, helicopter, fixed wing or jet travel for special work. 

We were lucky, our insurance covered my helicopter ride to the hospital after the accident. However if air ambulance service isn't covered it can drain the bank. Still, given the choice between 1 1/2 - 2 hours by road or 15 minutes via helicopter, I'm reaching for my wallet.

Frosty The Lucky.

X2 on the air ambulance programs.  In our rural area here in AR, it's called "AirEvac" by AirMedCare.  About the same price as I recall.  Had it for some 17 yrs.  Everyone I know out here carries it...worth the cost by a LONG shot.  $65/yr. for the wife and I.  Some air ambulance rides can be as much as $25,000.

The flight medic on my ride stopped in to see how I was doing when he heard I'd regained consciousness. He said I flat lined at least twice on the 15 minute flight but it could've been more he was too busy to count.

He also determined to which hospital they took me. Luckily one that had just opened the most state of the art head trauma unit in the US. I was their second customer. Had I been transported via ground I would've been taken to the closest hospital. It's a good hospital but not up to keeping me alive at that time.

Life flight helicopters tend to crash more often that typical commercial choppers. SAR, Coast Guard and Life flight, Anybody's anywhere, is on my prayer list. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I saw that on the news, it always saddens me more than hearing about an air crash. We have fatal air crashes more than once a month, more than one a week during hunting season. 

But the air ambulances hurt.

Frosty The Lucky.

We already have the life flight insurance as anything more that a couple of stitches would probably best be handled close to 100 miles away.

When I put in outlets I do 4 to a box on 2 separate circuits. As I told the electrician; they won't all be in use at the same time but I dislike having to plug and unplug various tools when I have to switch back and forth on a project.

First project is getting the lights switched to 4' LED shop lights,  Also getting 110 & 220 to the other side wall where the Bader, drill press, jointer and radial arm saw would profit from 220.   (Getting my hole hawg drill and 9" angle grinder  back in good working order will probably be done commercially.)