I Forge Iron

Another step forward!

ThomasPowers

Wow; just wow!   Yesterday they trenched, put in the conduit/tubing, set the transformer just for the shop and as it was humming hooked it up!   Still no connection at the shop panel and no meter set *yet*.   The inspection sticker on the panel reads that it passed June 8th; it's going to be 4 months for what would be about a 1 day job.

588432388_KIMG0013(2).thumb.JPG.2b775b785c10665492a7a7735261dd81.JPGNew shop transformer.

1813725584_KIMG0014(2).thumb.JPG.fda5568885b14bcdbf3e6eb47a9d21d1.JPGOld house transformer.

And Wow now that I am shop poor suddenly I may inherit *millions*! (SCAM)

Good morning, I am a private investigator and have been contracted by a financial institution to ascertain your relationship to an individual who died sometime ago.
He died intestate and left behind an estate worth millions, we have reasons to believe that you may be related to the deceased.
For further information, please contact the Assessor with your full names for confirmation.

I'm amazed that this scam is still around, I thought it burnt itself out decades ago: Nigerian Prince, "I like the cut of your jib!", Help me smuggle/launder money, loot from the war(s), you have won a prize for something you never entered, *ALL* covered by the TANSTAAFL clause of thermodynamics---you can't get something for nothing!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see transformers like that out in the wide open and I want to put steel posts around them, snow plows take them right out. How far would you have to look to find someone with a pickup and snow plow? It's just a learned reaction of mine that's hard to kick. 

Which June 8th., which inspection?

Are you getting a fluttery feeling? I'm feeling kind of excited about it. 

We used to get that scam in the snail mail when I was a kid, a version that is. I used to love messing with them on the land line, I've heard the script enough times to play them. It's not like they're bright or well educated enough to hold down a real job. Ever try the Neiman Marcus cookie recipe?

Frosty The Lucky.

My plan was to put some LARGE rocks around the transformer.  Though snow plows are not an issue here, Farm Implements may be and Drunk Drivers Certainly are. 

The road from the interstate is narrow, winds, some hills that have been dug back so they are now a good foot from the edge of the pavement on one side and the other side has an irrigation canal and a 40' drop off to the fields.  The irrigation canal does a pretty good job of catching the drunks before they go over the drop off.

I would have put the transformer further from the street; but I think they want to keep all the powerlines fairly close together for possible future excavations.  I hope we can start using the other entrance to our house again!

Putting big rocks too close to the right of way can be a serious liability issue if someone kills or injures them self driving into it, drunk or not. Lawyers put an end to baseball bat proof mail boxes years ago. Around here anyway.

I hear a quart can of paint lid facing out in the mailbox works as well or better than shattering B'ball bats.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do mail carriers open mailboxes with baseball bats where you live arkie? Or deliver mail late on Friday and Saturday night? I don't think a carrier would try putting mail in one after being batted at 60mph. rarely anything left to put something in.

The can of paint trick is even better for folk who shoot mailboxes. Gives the police someone to talk to as the paint blasts out in front of them.

We have a PO box at the UPS store near us. We don't have to keep buying mailboxes or live with our armored or paint bombed mailbox killing some drunk vandal or worse the family of little kids coming the other direction. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Years ago (1960s) Laramie had a downtown 24 hour cafe.  After 2 AM when the bars closed it was frequented by folk who, today, should have taken a cab or uber home.  Given their impaired state of coordination the parking meter outside the cafe was a common casualty.  DUI wasn't considered as serious an offense in those unenlightened times.  So, to save on parking meter replacement costs the city mounted the meter post on a large coil spring so that it would bounce back up if hit.

Sadly, it is gone now since some years ago the city removed all parking meters from the downtown area as a pro-business move.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Ha, ha!  It happened while I was living elsewhere but the current downtown is pretty vibrant with few, if any, vacant store fronts.  Most of the downtown business are specialty shops, restaurants, bars, and boutiques but there are still a few traditional places selling things like like shoes, furniture, and flowers. 

I do miss the old Laramie Basin Hardware which had 75 years plus of old stock down in the basement and if it wasn't on the floor it was probably in the basement.  I recall buying hurricane lanterns and a 2 man cross cut saw out of the basement.  It was before I was a blacksmith but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had had anvils, tongs, etc. in that basement. 

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

4 hours ago, arkie said:

Frosty, I tried to make a tongue in cheek funny there,...guess it didn't work......

I got it arkie, my sense of humor must've taken a powder. I get lost in old memories and off track if not topic. I'm surprised you guys Behr with me without just brushing me off.

Better?:)

Frosty The Lucky.

Trowel it on thick Slag, try using a palette knife!

So I eagerly  drive around to the shop side of the house after work after work yesterday and find: ZERO, ZILCH, NOTHING has been done yesterday.  I take pictures anyway just in case they want to charge me for work done.  I wonder if they are trying to make me so happy it was done that I won't audit the charges?  Silly Silly SEC...

So any guesses as to if I will be able to turn on a light tonight?

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

I got it arkie, my sense of humor must've taken a powder. I get lost in old memories and off track if not topic. I'm surprised you guys Behr with me without just brushing me off.

Frosty, sometimes I don't get the point of jokes either...and I am too embarrassed to ask the person what it meant! LOL Lots of new jargon floating around out there and I can't keep up with it!!  ;)

You see!  It can't be a coincidence...just like; who really believes that the first atomic bomb blast that was here in NM and was just a "test"?  I've noticed non-Euclidian adobe buildings out here and that as the "locals" age they get smaller and more wizened---much like a dryer version of the "Innsmouth look". Their creation myths talk of underground travel and life....